Old 14-09-2008, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Thorny bush recommendation for security at vulnerable gardencorner

I turn my back for a moment and suddenly I have 30+ replies! Thank
you :-)

I agree that once the corner is fixed, the easiest way in would be the
wall. We've been lucky so far, but the weak corner would draw the
attention of a potential burger. Currently it is there for the taking.

Cameras are something I'm thinking about it.

Our one advantage is we have a dog. His loud bark would frighten off
any burgler, unless they had the courage to get in the garden, in
which case he'd lick them to death.

Berberis. Garden centre.

I also agree that some tv programs and movies have the background
music louder than the voices and find it very annoying.

Tony

Old 14-09-2008, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "FarmI" ask@itshall be given contains these words:
"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in

Surely you want Berberis, I forget the name but the orange flowered
one is
razor sharp. I expect Nick will come back with the name

I bought a berberis to plant under my grandson's bedroom window. I thought
it would stop anyone trying to get in (in the case of burglars) or out (for
when the grandson becomes a mutinous teenager).

Don't bank on the latter!

When I was at bawdy school during my tenth year there was a holly hedge
under our dormitory window. The challenge was to leap out of the window
and crash into it, on one's back, in pyjamas only.

Sometimes there was a regular rotation of plummeting brats, and same,
unplummeting up the adjacent drainpipe.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 14-09-2008, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from tonyjeffs contains these words:

I turn my back for a moment and suddenly I have 30+ replies! Thank
you :-)

I agree that once the corner is fixed, the easiest way in would be the
wall. We've been lucky so far, but the weak corner would draw the
attention of a potential burger. Currently it is there for the taking.

Cameras are something I'm thinking about it.

And pir-operated floodlight(s).

Our one advantage is we have a dog. His loud bark would frighten off
any burgler, unless they had the courage to get in the garden, in
which case he'd lick them to death.

Ours would have done the same - to anyone who had business there.

Any unwanted intruder would have been subjected to the full Bull Terror.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

weakly paint her vulnerable uncle Abbas Masood Ponds 0 07-11-2007 07:27 AM
A thorny problem Peter and Susan Australia 11 19-07-2004 09:12 PM
Thorny shrubs sw United Kingdom 19 17-05-2003 10:56 AM
Thorny sugestions Sheepkeeper Roses 6 07-05-2003 02:20 PM
thorny vine ID? kate Gardening 5 06-02-2003 02:36 PM