Old 16-09-2008, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rubbish Flymo Hovermowers

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 15:07:25 +0100, "John E" wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:30:41 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

In message , Fluffball
writes

'Gordon H[_3_ Wrote:

My pal George swore by his wheeled mower, but he had a largish
rectangular lawn.
--
Gordon H

Get one with at LEAST metal blades.

Our last Flymo with plastic blades was pants. We now have a Bosch.

My Flymo has a metal blade.

For cutting through the power cable?

We got rid of our Flymo with a metal blade the first time it cut through
the
power cable.

That applies to all mains powered electrical mowers.

No it doesn't. Our current mower has a plastic replaceable blade.

You can have plastic replaceable blades on Flymos too. However, they don't
work well, and need replacing at frequent intervals. You also get bits of
plastic blade distributed over your garden.

If I were you, I would get a decent mower, with a steel blade; and take the
time to read the instruction manual. (And get an earth leakage circuit
breaker, obviously).

John

Old 16-09-2008, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , John E
writes
"Martin" wrote in message
news

No it doesn't. Our current mower has a plastic replaceable blade.

I have a set of them somewhere, but never fitted them. They are
intended to prevent injury to human beans, not electric cable!

You can have plastic replaceable blades on Flymos too. However, they
don't work well, and need replacing at frequent intervals. You also get
bits of plastic blade distributed over your garden.

If I were you, I would get a decent mower, with a steel blade; and take
the time to read the instruction manual. (And get an earth leakage
circuit breaker, obviously).
John

When I had my house re-wired I had an RCD (or whatever the mnemonic is)
fitted in the garage, so anything plugged in there is protected.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 16-09-2008, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 15:46:49 +0100, "John E" wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 15:07:25 +0100, "John E"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
m...
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:30:41 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

In message , Fluffball
writes

'Gordon H[_3_ Wrote:

My pal George swore by his wheeled mower, but he had a largish
rectangular lawn.
--
Gordon H

Get one with at LEAST metal blades.

Our last Flymo with plastic blades was pants. We now have a Bosch.

My Flymo has a metal blade.

For cutting through the power cable?

We got rid of our Flymo with a metal blade the first time it cut
through
the
power cable.

That applies to all mains powered electrical mowers.

No it doesn't. Our current mower has a plastic replaceable blade.

You can have plastic replaceable blades on Flymos too.

That contradicts what you said above.

I don't think so, but I guess that's your interpretation.

However, they don't
work well, and need replacing at frequent intervals. You also get bits of
plastic blade distributed over your garden.

We don't have a Flymo. Out lawn mower works well and has done for at least
10
years.

And your Flymo apparently did, until you stupidly cut through the cable,
apparently.

If I were you, I would get a decent mower, with a steel blade; and take
the
time to read the instruction manual. (And get an earth leakage circuit
breaker, obviously).

a) We read instruction manuals and already have a decent mower.
b) The whole house has had earth leakage circuit breakers for more than a
decade.
c) Granny to suck eggs.
d)

c) but you cut the cable...