Old 13-09-2008, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rubbish Flymo Hovermowers

Got through two Flymo 350's in 3 years, 1st one the motor burnt out and
just had the 2nd ones motor shaft snap just as I finished the last cut.

Anybody recommend a decent Hovermower, not the disposable Flymo brand,
around the same size, not a large lawn, only takes about 20 minutes to cut.
--
Corporal Jones
"I don't like it up me"
Old 14-09-2008, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Corporal Jones
writes

Got through two Flymo 350's in 3 years, 1st one the motor burnt out and
just had the 2nd ones motor shaft snap just as I finished the last cut.

Anybody recommend a decent Hovermower, not the disposable Flymo brand,
around the same size, not a large lawn, only takes about 20 minutes to
cut.

You must be doing something wrong!
I have had my basic Flymo for about 10 years, and gave my old one to a
lady friend. That one must be at least 15 years old and she still
uses it.
My lawns take about 40 minutes plus 15 minutes raking-up time.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 14-09-2008, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Corporal Jones
writes

Got through two Flymo 350's in 3 years, 1st one the motor burnt out and
just had the 2nd ones motor shaft snap just as I finished the last cut.

Anybody recommend a decent Hovermower, not the disposable Flymo brand,
around the same size, not a large lawn, only takes about 20 minutes to
cut.

You must be doing something wrong!
I have had my basic Flymo for about 10 years, and gave my old one to a
lady friend. That one must be at least 15 years old and she still
uses it.
My lawns take about 40 minutes plus 15 minutes raking-up time.

I've had a couple of Flymos over the years. They lasted for at least 5 years
each. I now have a rotary mower with wheels, because it is a simple waste of
electicity to use energy to provide lift when wheels will do the job. Sadly
it took me a while to work this out. (The current mower is a Bosch Rotak 40,
in case anyone is interested - works very well indeed).

--

John.

Old 14-09-2008, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gordon H
wrote
In message , Corporal Jones
writes

Got through two Flymo 350's in 3 years, 1st one the motor burnt out
and just had the 2nd ones motor shaft snap just as I finished the last
cut.

Anybody recommend a decent Hovermower, not the disposable Flymo brand,
around the same size, not a large lawn, only takes about 20 minutes to
cut.

You must be doing something wrong!
I have had my basic Flymo for about 10 years, and gave my old one to a
lady friend. That one must be at least 15 years old and she
still uses it.
My lawns take about 40 minutes plus 15 minutes raking-up time.

If you buy a modern flymo these days you will find they are nowhere
near the quality they were even a few years ago.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 14-09-2008, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
In message , Corporal Jones
writes

Got through two Flymo 350's in 3 years, 1st one the motor burnt out
and just had the 2nd ones motor shaft snap just as I finished the
last cut. Anybody recommend a decent Hovermower, not the disposable Flymo
brand, around the same size, not a large lawn, only takes about 20
minutes to cut.

You must be doing something wrong!
I have had my basic Flymo for about 10 years, and gave my old one to a
lady friend. That one must be at least 15 years old and she
still uses it.
My lawns take about 40 minutes plus 15 minutes raking-up time.

I have an old Flymo.............bought from a bootfair when I moved into
this house 15 years ago. Cost me £10. Works fine
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 14-09-2008, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John E wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Corporal Jones
writes

[...]

I have been doing a little research and the Rotak's get good reviews,
lost confidence in Flymo so think I will go down the Bosch route

--
Corporal Jones
"I don't like it up me"
Old 14-09-2008, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , John E
writes
"Gordon H" wrote

I have had my basic Flymo for about 10 years, and gave my old one to
a lady friend. That one must be at least 15 years old and she
still uses it.

I've had a couple of Flymos over the years. They lasted for at least 5
years each. I now have a rotary mower with wheels, because it is a
simple waste of electicity to use energy to provide lift when wheels
will do the job.

Not as easy to manoeuvre on small lawns though, and can they cut right
up to the edge? I have 5 fairly small areas to cut, and have to
resort to the strimmer for some awkward bits.

Sadly it took me a while to work this out. (The current mower is a
Bosch Rotak 40, in case anyone is interested - works very well indeed).

However, you have now suggested another appliance to check with my power
meter, and find out how much it costs to mow my lawns!
I suspect that the figure would be trivial.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 14-09-2008, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan
writes
In message , Gordon H
wrote

I have had my basic Flymo for about 10 years, and gave my old one to a
lady friend. That one must be at least 15 years old and she
still uses it.
My lawns take about 40 minutes plus 15 minutes raking-up time.

If you buy a modern flymo these days you will find they are nowhere
near the quality they were even a few years ago.

I'd better look after it then! They used to have a service centre
about 30 yards from my house, but have moved a few miles away.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 14-09-2008, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , John E
writes
"Gordon H" wrote

[...]

Compared with devices that are on every day for a significant period, I'd
agree. (Unless you have a cricket field to look after). However, as you
mentioned elsewhere, the amount used by TVs on standby is also relatively
trivial, but multiplied up by millions of users, it is a significant amount.

--

John

Old 15-09-2008, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John E wrote:

I now have a rotary mower with wheels, because it is a simple waste of
electicity to use energy to provide lift when wheels will do the job. Sadly
it took me a while to work this out. (The current mower is a Bosch Rotak 40,
in case anyone is interested - works very well indeed).

It isn't simply energy - a hover has to use one fan to keep it in
the air, which therefore blows the grass downwards, plus, if
grass is to be collected, another one to attempt to suck up the
clippings. Wheeled mowers only need the single fan and lifts the
grass straight into the collector.

I have the Rotak 34, and find it very manoeuvrable on my smallish
lawns.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Old 15-09-2008, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes

It isn't simply energy - a hover has to use one fan to keep it in
the air, which therefore blows the grass downwards, plus, if
grass is to be collected, another one to attempt to suck up the
clippings. Wheeled mowers only need the single fan and lifts the
grass straight into the collector.

For a short spell I did use a Flymo Turbo which had a grass collector,
but it was a pig because as the grass box filled it became heavier and
tended to dig divots in the lawn. I sold it for 10 quid, and
settled for raking the grass afterwards.

I have the Rotak 34, and find it very manoeuvrable on my smallish
lawns.
Chris

My pal George swore by his wheeled mower, but he had a largish
rectangular lawn.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 16-09-2008, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Fluffball
writes

'Gordon H[_3_ Wrote:

My pal George swore by his wheeled mower, but he had a largish
rectangular lawn.
--
Gordon H

Get one with at LEAST metal blades.

Our last Flymo with plastic blades was pants. We now have a Bosch.

My Flymo has a metal blade.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 16-09-2008, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:30:41 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

In message , Fluffball
writes

'Gordon H[_3_ Wrote:

My pal George swore by his wheeled mower, but he had a largish
rectangular lawn.
--
Gordon H

Get one with at LEAST metal blades.

Our last Flymo with plastic blades was pants. We now have a Bosch.

My Flymo has a metal blade.

For cutting through the power cable?

We got rid of our Flymo with a metal blade the first time it cut through
the
power cable.

That applies to all mains powered electrical mowers. They do have very clear
instructions about how to avoid cutting the cable. Curiously, I have never
cut a cable in 30 years of mains powered mowing. Must be down to competence,
or maybe, for those who don't read the instructions, the lack of it, I
guess.

John

Old 16-09-2008, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 15:07:25 +0100, "John E" wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:30:41 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

In message , Fluffball
writes

'Gordon H[_3_ Wrote:

My pal George swore by his wheeled mower, but he had a largish
rectangular lawn.
--
Gordon H

Get one with at LEAST metal blades.

Our last Flymo with plastic blades was pants. We now have a Bosch.

My Flymo has a metal blade.

For cutting through the power cable?

We got rid of our Flymo with a metal blade the first time it cut through
the
power cable.

That applies to all mains powered electrical mowers.

No it doesn't. Our current mower has a plastic replaceable blade.

You can have plastic replaceable blades on Flymos too. However, they don't
work well, and need replacing at frequent intervals. You also get bits of
plastic blade distributed over your garden.

If I were you, I would get a decent mower, with a steel blade; and take the
time to read the instruction manual. (And get an earth leakage circuit
breaker, obviously).

John