Old 14-09-2008, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bee mystery solved

They're all here, all over the Mentha spicata 'Swiss'! I don't think I've
ever seen so many bees in one small area ( about 8 x 9cm pots)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-09-2008, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/9/08 10:12, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:38:40 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 15/9/08 08:11, in article
,
"mogga" wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:43:47 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 14/9/08 22:25, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 16:46:24 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

They're all here, all over the Mentha spicata 'Swiss'! I don't think
I've
ever seen so many bees in one small area ( about 8 x 9cm pots)

It's the second coming.

Third, fourth and fifth by way they were all clustering round it!

Is there a list of bee friendly plants or will anything with flowers
do?

This is helpful:

http://www.bumblebee.org/flowerlist.htm

We don't have a shortage of bumblebees. Have you?

Not really but probably not as many as we used to see. Despite being pretty
close to Buckfast Abbey, we don't see as many honey bees as we'd expect,
either. That's why the ones we saw on the mint caught our eye yesterday,
especially. But in the last couple of dry, fairly fine days, we've seen
bees and butterflies and the birds are singing as if it were springtime! I
even saw two robins squaring up to each other yesterday - most peculiar!
And while it's nothing to do with bees, I have to boast about our clever
nursery staff who have grown some stupendous pumpkins on the compost heap!
They have had a competition and one of them got prizes 1 to 6! There are
well over a dozen huge fruits, mellowing beautifully and lots of baby ones
that are probably not going to make it *and* there are still flowers coming
on. I really must go and take some photos......

Old 15-09-2008, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/9/08 13:30, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:30:37 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 15/9/08 10:12, in article
,

"mogga" wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:43:47 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 14/9/08 22:25, in article
,

wrote:

They're all here, all over the Mentha spicata 'Swiss'! I don't think
I've
ever seen so many bees in one small area ( about 8 x 9cm pots)

It's the second coming.

Third, fourth and fifth by way they were all clustering round it!

Is there a list of bee friendly plants or will anything with flowers
do?

This is helpful:

http://www.bumblebee.org/flowerlist.htm

We don't have a shortage of bumblebees. Have you?

Not really but probably not as many as we used to see. Despite being pretty
close to Buckfast Abbey, we don't see as many honey bees as we'd expect,
either.

but no shortage of white van driving Glaswegians?

You're being a bit obscure, Grasshopper?!

That's why the ones we saw on the mint caught our eye yesterday,
especially. But in the last couple of dry, fairly fine days, we've seen
bees and butterflies and the birds are singing as if it were springtime! I
even saw two robins squaring up to each other yesterday - most peculiar!
And while it's nothing to do with bees, I have to boast about our clever
nursery staff who have grown some stupendous pumpkins on the compost heap!
They have had a competition and one of them got prizes 1 to 6! There are
well over a dozen huge fruits, mellowing beautifully and lots of baby ones
that are probably not going to make it *and* there are still flowers coming
on. I really must go and take some photos......

It seems to be a good year for marrows, gourds and pumpkins and what grapes we
have are delicious.

Our grapes are still a bit 'tart' but I'll try again tomorrow.

Old 16-09-2008, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/9/08 17:16, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:05:54 +0100, Sacha wrote:

snip

We don't have a shortage of bumblebees. Have you?

Not really but probably not as many as we used to see. Despite being
pretty
close to Buckfast Abbey, we don't see as many honey bees as we'd expect,
either.

but no shortage of white van driving Glaswegians?

You're being a bit obscure, Grasshopper?!

What is the Glaswegian's favourite beverage and where is it made?
http://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/buck_wine.htm

" For many years Buckfast Tonic Wine has been a popular drink in Glasgow where
there is now what's called the 'Buckfast Triangle'. Anyone who watched the TV
series Rab C. Nesbitt will be familiar with the 'Buckie' or Buckfast Wine.

snip

Ah, that explains it. I didn't watch that series so I'd forgotten about it.

Old 16-09-2008, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/9/08 09:56, in article ,
"Sacha" wrote:

On 15/9/08 17:16, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

[...]

Bees have now moved on to the Cimicifuga which is in full flower.

Old 16-09-2008, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/9/08 12:13, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 12:07:49 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 16/9/08 09:56, in article ,
"Sacha" wrote:

On 15/9/08 17:16, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:05:54 +0100, Sacha
wrote:
snip

[...]

Did I mention that I was given a repro Victorian wasp trap jar? It attracts
the
wheelie bin bluebottles and drowns them in the beer that reaches parts that
others can't. It's similar to this
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...-yellow-jacket
-trap/AdditionalViews.do
http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/38435...com/images/en_
US/local/products/122x/262494zzi2.jpg

Wasps and bees ignore it.

Did I mention that I cut 3 plastic water bottles into two thirds, inverted
the top third into the bottom two thirds (sort of a lobster pot concept) and
that we have caught dozens of those horrible Vespus germanica which have
been threatening life and limb? Tish and pish!