Old 14-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Registered User

Default the SUPERTHRIVE experiment!!!!

i can see some people smiling encouragingly. i can hear others grinding their teeth with frustration. the superthrive debate goes on in every gardening forum on the internet i think! i have heard some people deem it a waste of money and time. others swear by it, some to say it makes their plants look good, others to the extent it revived an almost dead plant back to life!

i have read thread after thread about it, so now, i want to find out if it works. to do so, i have 10 mandarin seeds. i soaked them overnight in water. today, i peeled off the hard outer shell (what a pain in the a** that was! really have to stop biting my nails) i have put them into a 10cell propagator - the five seeds on the left are unmarked and are being watered with plain, good old tap water! the other five on the right, marked to set them apart, are being watered with superthrive added to the water.

they have been put inside a little bag and put into our boiler cupboard, where the temperature is nice and high for the seeds to germinate....though not too high! i will post progress on here for anyone who is interested. i am looking forward to finally being able to make a decision on its effectiveness!

dan
Old 15-09-2008, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:52:04 +0100, danny22
wrote:

[...]

Somebody told me you might as well use Marmite!!!

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-09-2008, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from danny22 contains these words:

i have read thread after thread about it, so now, i want to find out if
it works. to do so, i have 10 mandarin seeds. i soaked them overnight in
water. today, i peeled off the hard outer shell (what a pain in the a**
that was! really have to stop biting my nails) i have put them into a
10cell propagator - the five seeds on the left are unmarked and are
being watered with plain, good old tap water! the other five on the
right, marked to set them apart, are being watered with superthrive
added to the water.

Why are you peeling the pips?

Who does it in the wild?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 16-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Registered User

i know, i have heard good and bad, only way to form a opinion is to use it i think. smells like marmite, and is similar as it has a load of b vitamins in it!
Old 16-09-2008, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , danny22.344c3e9
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

i know, i have heard good and bad, only way to form a opinion is to use
it i think. smells like marmite, and is similar as it has a load of b
vitamins in it!

I know you're posting from gardenbanter, but could you make the effort
to quote a bit of what you're responding to?

Old 16-09-2008, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

sounds like fun I have never seen pips get out of a pot and spit.

Derek

[IBC] Superthrive (was [IBC] Epsom salts Anita Hawkins Bonsai 0 17-10-2003 05:42 PM
Superthrive J Kolenovsky Texas 8 31-07-2003 02:45 AM
Superthrive J Kolenovsky Gardening 3 30-07-2003 10:32 PM
Superthrive Treatment of sick Tree (Oak) Shane Trahan Gardening 1 30-06-2003 09:44 PM
Organic jap 'superthrive', better results too!!! Jonathan Phua Orchids 0 26-01-2003 04:39 AM