Old 17-09-2008, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Calling the Cornish

My Tibouchina semidecandra had been a lot happier this summer than
most, and has really come into its own as the chill has started.
While it is tender, I get the impression that it doesn't like
temperatures of above 15 Celsius. It certainly likes mist, and
gets unhappy in dry conditions.

Will it grow outside (clearly not here), and would keeping it in
a large pot of free-draining J.I. compost help? It is certainly
happy with my mixture.

And, of course, it is spectacular and flowers for ages. But you
knew that!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-09-2008, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/9/08 19:43, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

My Tibouchina semidecandra had been a lot happier this summer than
most, and has really come into its own as the chill has started.
While it is tender, I get the impression that it doesn't like
temperatures of above 15 Celsius. It certainly likes mist, and
gets unhappy in dry conditions.

Will it grow outside (clearly not here), and would keeping it in
a large pot of free-draining J.I. compost help? It is certainly
happy with my mixture.

And, of course, it is spectacular and flowers for ages. But you
knew that!

Is this what is also called T. urvilleana? If so, I've had it in a Jersey
garden over winter and lost it in a mild frost but that was in a bed, not a
pot. T. organensis flourishes here in a greenhouse border and looks
spectacular just now but that isn't much help to you! However, given that
the last few mornings have seen condensation on the inside of the glasshouse
windows, this bears out your remark about it liking mist!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-09-2008, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

My Tibouchina semidecandra had been a lot happier this summer than
most, and has really come into its own as the chill has started.
While it is tender, I get the impression that it doesn't like
temperatures of above 15 Celsius. It certainly likes mist, and
gets unhappy in dry conditions.

Will it grow outside (clearly not here), and would keeping it in
a large pot of free-draining J.I. compost help? It is certainly
happy with my mixture.

And, of course, it is spectacular and flowers for ages. But you
knew that!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I suspect that your plant is T. urvilleana, and the good news is that
this comes from the base if destroyed by frost, however before getting
carried away and leaving it out the plants in my open garden beds are
still only a foot high after last years winter, the late frost making
them even shorter than normal. I don't actually expect them to flower and
they are only the byproduct of planting out large plants from pots, my
main display comes from 2 year old pot fulls.
You are correct about the high temperatures, the colours on out door
plants are much more vivid and they grow better out, even the leaves
look better grown cold.
They are frustrating close to being growable so I keep trying! my present
attempt is at the base of a west wall, and I am also trying Tibouchina
grandifolia (which may turn out to be T. heteramala) so far I have not
got even the roots to survive, while T paratropica would probably be
hardy for you too as it behaves as a perennial, unfortunately the flowers
are smaller and white so not the same impact!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 18-09-2008, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Is this what is also called T. urvilleana? If so, I've had it in a Jersey
| garden over winter and lost it in a mild frost but that was in a bed, not a
| pot. T. organensis flourishes here in a greenhouse border and looks
| spectacular just now but that isn't much help to you! However, given that
| the last few mornings have seen condensation on the inside of the glasshouse
| windows, this bears out your remark about it liking mist!

Yes, it is T. urvilleana, as far as I know - heaven alone knows which
is the current name.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 18-09-2008, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks to all. It seems that my guesses were correct, but it is still
a bit tender to be reliable in even the warmest parts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Cornish Gardens RG[_2_] United Kingdom 6 26-05-2012 04:07 PM
Good news from Cornish gardens Charlie Pridham[_2_] United Kingdom 6 02-03-2009 03:31 PM
WHAT TO PLANT ADJACENT TO CORNISH HEDGE? robz5166 Gardening 0 17-04-2004 07:39 PM
Calling dr solo, Calling dr solo FBCS Ponds 9 11-09-2003 07:09 AM
Cornish gardens kathie United Kingdom 11 05-04-2003 12:56 PM