Old 14-03-2003, 01:56 PM
kathie

Default Cornish gardens

We're planning a long weekend in Cornwall in a couple of weeks, staying near
Falmouth. There seem to be several beautiful gardens in the area, but I
think we'll only have time to visit one (in addition to the Eden project).

Which would be the best at this time of year?

Thanks
--
Kathie

Old 14-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Pscylo

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:56:21 -0000, kathie let rip with the following garbage:
We're planning a long weekend in Cornwall in a couple of weeks, staying near
Falmouth. There seem to be several beautiful gardens in the area, but I
think we'll only have time to visit one (in addition to the Eden project).

Which would be the best at this time of year?

Thanks
--
Kathie

I guess that depends on what you want to see. We were there last year in
early September, which is probably a bit late to get the best. That
said, Eden you can visit pretty much whenever you want (check their web
site for the best visting times, it can get busy spec. at the height of
summer). Got to say, I'm glad I saw Eden, but I think it was a little
overrated.

If you're staying in Falmouth, you could do Eden and Helligan in a long
day (there not far apart, and Helligan is probably the more
interesting).

If you're in Falmouth though you absolutely must visit Trebah gardens,
its not far away from Falmouth on the Helford estuary (interestingly its
where some of the DDay troops left from). And really you're after seeing
the rhododendrons (100 year old ones!), so I would have thought end June
beginning July would be good.

Check the website:

http://www.trebah-garden.co.uk/index.html

And maybe give them a call and ask, this ones not huge and is reasonably
priced and can be done comfortably in half a day, and you can drive
further on and do the Lizard at the same time.

Have a great time, I know we did and we're going back this year.

Pscylo

Old 14-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Sharon Curtis

In article ,
Pscylo wrote:
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:56:21 -0000, kathie let rip with the following garbage:
We're planning a long weekend in Cornwall in a couple of weeks, staying near
Falmouth. There seem to be several beautiful gardens in the area, but I
think we'll only have time to visit one (in addition to the Eden project).

Which would be the best at this time of year?

snip
If you're staying in Falmouth, you could do Eden and Helligan in a long
day (there not far apart, and Helligan is probably the more
interesting).

If you're in Falmouth though you absolutely must visit Trebah gardens,

I've seen Heligan, Trebah, Eden and Tresco.
Of the four, I'd rate them in the order of Heligan first, then
Eden, Tresco, Trebah.

Tresco gardens, being on Tresco, in the Isles of Scilly, isn't so
accessible, but still very nice. Eden probably wins just a little
at this time of year because it's nice and warm in those greenhouses :-)
Eden and Heligan I would say have a lot to interest even if it's
not the best time of year (I've only been at limited times).

Eden has its greenhouses, the varieties and displays, and Heligan has
the interesting history and restoration, so you have the before and
after pictures.

Trebah, well, it was nice (particularly tree ferns and hyrangeas,
both of which I wouldn't imagine to be in action this time of year),
but for me, Heligan is more interesting by a long shot.

www.heligan.com

to add to your URL collection :-)
I'd recommend at least half a day for Heligan, preferably a full day.

Sharon
Old 14-03-2003, 05:32 PM
wessie

"kathie" wrote in
:

We're planning a long weekend in Cornwall in a couple of weeks, staying
near Falmouth. There seem to be several beautiful gardens in the area,
but I think we'll only have time to visit one (in addition to the Eden
project).

Which would be the best at this time of year?

we visited both the Eden Project and Lost Gardens of Heligan end of last
May

Age range: 8-72

Everyone thought that Heligan was the better day out. We were there when
the camelia, rhododendron & magnolia were in full bloom

I guess now will be the time for spring bulbs such as bluebells etc

http://www.heligan.com/home/home.html

--

BMW R1150GS

Old 14-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Natalie

"kathie" wrote in message
We're planning a long weekend in Cornwall in a couple of weeks, staying

near
Falmouth. There seem to be several beautiful gardens in the area, but I
think we'll only have time to visit one (in addition to the Eden project).

Which would be the best at this time of year?

Thanks
--
Kathie

Heligan is definitely a MUST. I much prefer it to Eden!!!

Natalie

Old 14-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Peter James

wrote:

We're planning a long weekend in Cornwall in a couple of weeks, staying near
Falmouth. There seem to be several beautiful gardens in the area, but I
think we'll only have time to visit one (in addition to the Eden project).

Which would be the best at this time of year?

Thanks

Trebah in Falmouth. Very beautiful and restful. And if you have
time.............................go the Eden Project at St Austell.

-
Peter James
Change AT to @ to reply

Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
jane

~
~ Which would be the best at this time of year?
~
~ Thanks
~ --
~ Kathie
~
~Trelissick?
~
~

I rather like the NTs Lanhydrock, as they have a huge collection of
magnolias and rhododendrons. It's best in early May, though, as they have
extensive bluebell woods. I've never made it to Heligan, as I've always
been based in north Cornwall.

This is also a good reference site:
http://www.gardensincornwall.co.uk

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!
Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Chris Hogg

wrote:

We're planning a long weekend in Cornwall in a couple of weeks, staying near
Falmouth. There seem to be several beautiful gardens in the area, but I
think we'll only have time to visit one (in addition to the Eden project).

Which would be the best at this time of year?

Thanks

The Cornwall Tourist Board do a free folding guide on Cornish gardens,
showing about 20 of various sizes and categories within a short
distance of Falmouth. Whether it's also on their web site,
www.cornwalltouristboard.co.uk I don't know, but I'm sure they'd send
you a copy if you ring them, tel.no. 01872 322900

--
Chris

Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Victoria Clare

"kathie" wrote in
:

We're planning a long weekend in Cornwall in a couple of weeks,
staying near Falmouth. There seem to be several beautiful gardens in
the area, but I think we'll only have time to visit one (in addition
to the Eden project).

Which would be the best at this time of year?

Cotehele apparently has a special exhibition on local daffodils in the
Tamar valley, starting last weekend.

I haven't been yet but mean to. Cotehele is S/E Cornwall, but pretty close
to the A38, if you are coming or going that way.

Hope the weather holds for you 'cos it is gorgeous just now.

Victoria

Old 05-04-2003, 09:20 AM
hedgehog

I was there a couple of weeks ago & visited Heligan, Eden & Trebah - most of
the other places didn't open until Easter. Trebah was top of my list-
beautiful valley with a beach at the end. Great tree ferns, enormous
magnolias, peonies & camellias all in bloom. They will mostly be over by
now but there was also a fantastic gunnera swamp which will be coming along
nicely with massed hydrangeas & rhododendrons to follow. It is near
Falmouth. Heligan was OK & Eden was heaving, but Trebah gets my vote.

Cornish Gardens RG[_2_] United Kingdom 6 26-05-2012 04:07 PM
Good news from Cornish gardens Charlie Pridham[_2_] United Kingdom 6 02-03-2009 03:31 PM
Calling the Cornish Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 5 18-09-2008 08:47 AM
WHAT TO PLANT ADJACENT TO CORNISH HEDGE? robz5166 Gardening 0 17-04-2004 07:39 PM