Old 19-09-2008, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Riverford Farm - second instalment

We went to the book launch this morning and the food was *fantastic*! We
have bought some copies of the book, signed by Guy, which will be Christmas
presents.
What is interesting is that there are various bits of background to the
whole Watson philosophy and there are some tips on growing veg., too.

As Guy said in his talk, more and
more people are now growing their own food, which means less profit for the
veg. box business but is in line with their beliefs! One story that filled
me with disgust was of his early approaches about 20 years ago, to a
supermarket to whom he hoped to start selling his organic veg. He rang
their head office to see if he could meet someone and they suggested
Thursday. As he was going to be in London on Friday, Guy asked if they
could make it Friday instead and the phone went dead. He rang back saying
"I'm sorry but I think we were cut off". The man at the other end said "No,
sonny, when we say 'jump', you jump." Guy went out and started pulling down
his embryonic packing shed!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Riverford Farm cook book Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 3 18-09-2008 06:46 PM
Sort ot OT - Riverford vegboxes Rachel Nex United Kingdom 8 13-09-2004 12:59 AM
second year perenials dc Texas 1 05-03-2004 04:29 AM
Second post from Ann dave weil Roses 0 17-11-2003 04:22 PM
Onion Sets - Second Year? Andy Sanson United Kingdom 3 20-06-2003 09:44 AM