Old 22-09-2008, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Please ID this plant - thanks

3 years ago a bought about 4 plants from a car boot sale. Couldn't get an ID
for the plants, so I put 2 in the flower border and the others in the wet
border of our 4 foot long garden feature.

A month ago, the first one in flower was in the wet border. The flower is
held on a 40cm long stem and the leaves are rush-like and vary between 15
and 25cm long and can be seen in picture 3. Thanks for any help in solving
this one, regards. Bertie

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=627cbd0c.pbw

Old 22-09-2008, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
3 years ago a bought about 4 plants from a car boot sale. Couldn't get an
ID for the plants, so I put 2 in the flower border and the others in the
wet border of our 4 foot long garden feature.

A month ago, the first one in flower was in the wet border. The flower is
held on a 40cm long stem and the leaves are rush-like and vary between 15
and 25cm long and can be seen in picture 3. Thanks for any help in solving
this one, regards. Bertie

Looks a bit like Tulbaghia.

s.

Old 22-09-2008, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"someone" wrote in message

Looks a bit like Tulbaghia.

Changed my mind, it doesn't look enough like Tulbaghia. Sorry.

Old 22-09-2008, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
3 years ago a bought about 4 plants from a car boot sale. Couldn't get an ID
for the plants, so I put 2 in the flower border and the others in the wet
border of our 4 foot long garden feature.

A month ago, the first one in flower was in the wet border. The flower is
held on a 40cm long stem and the leaves are rush-like and vary between 15
and 25cm long and can be seen in picture 3. Thanks for any help in solving
this one, regards. Bertie

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=627cbd0c.pbw

schizostylis coccinea, one of the pink forms, likes damp soils
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 22-09-2008, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
3 years ago a bought about 4 plants from a car boot sale. Couldn't get an
ID for the plants, so I put 2 in the flower border and the others in the
wet border of our 4 foot long garden feature.

A month ago, the first one in flower was in the wet border. The flower is
held on a 40cm long stem and the leaves are rush-like and vary between 15
and 25cm long and can be seen in picture 3. Thanks for any help in solving
this one, regards. Bertie

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=627cbd0c.pbw

No idea but nice pics.

Mary

Old 22-09-2008, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
schizostylis coccinea, one of the pink forms, likes damp soils
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall

Thanks Charlie, I must admit, I hadn't heard of this plant before. I pasted
your schizostylis coccinea into google and got the common names of crimson
flag, kafir lily and winter cheer. I suspect the first, is the red variety.

I'm surprised it's taken 3 years to come into flower. One of the plants in
the flower border, is also coming into bud.

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

No idea but nice pics.

Mary

I'm a newbie to digital photography. I tend to set the camera on fully auto,
take about 6 pics from different angles and select the best :-)