Old 22-09-2008, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Honeysuckle Help

To all Gardeners,

I recently planted a honeysuckle into my garden, in a partial shadey area
against a trellis. I loosely fixed the new growth against the trellis, and
it seemed to do very well, almost doubling it's height with lots of new
green shoots. In the last couple of weeks however, it seems to have lost a
lot of green leaves around the base and it seems to be travelling up the
rest of the plant leaving lots of brown twiggey bits with no new growth!!
The current green leaves have a white colur on them? I am not sure what I
have done to make it react this way, I have been watering it every other
week with miracle grow.

Can anyone help at all? Is it dying and if so, is there anything I can do?
The plant has never flowered.

Thank you

Old 22-09-2008, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alex Barrow" wrote in message
m...
To all Gardeners,

I recently planted a honeysuckle into my garden, in a partial shadey area
against a trellis. I loosely fixed the new growth against the trellis, and
it seemed to do very well, almost doubling it's height with lots of new
green shoots. In the last couple of weeks however, it seems to have lost a
lot of green leaves around the base and it seems to be travelling up the
rest of the plant leaving lots of brown twiggey bits with no new growth!!
The current green leaves have a white colur on them? I am not sure what I
have done to make it react this way, I have been watering it every other
week with miracle grow.

Can anyone help at all? Is it dying and if so, is there anything I can do?
The plant has never flowered.

Thank you

It's called 'Autumn' and it happens every year :-))

Old 22-09-2008, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Mike, I am a novice to all this !

Will my flower come back alive next spring, or is this the last i will see
of it now for good?

Thanks for help.

Old 22-09-2008, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

[...]

:-))

Grow again. You might like to try to interweave the twiggy stems through the
trellis a bit more but beware, they are very wiggy and snappy. Have you got
lots of red berries on the plant? Because the birds love those :-)

Old 22-09-2008, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

[...]

thanks Mike, no there are no red berries on the plant, will see what
happens.

Many thanks

Old 22-09-2008, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Alex Barrow" contains these words:

I recently planted a honeysuckle into my garden, in a partial shadey area
against a trellis. I loosely fixed the new growth against the trellis, and
it seemed to do very well, almost doubling it's height with lots of new
green shoots. In the last couple of weeks however, it seems to have lost a
lot of green leaves around the base and it seems to be travelling up the
rest of the plant leaving lots of brown twiggey bits with no new growth!!
The current green leaves have a white colur on them? I am not sure what I
have done to make it react this way, I have been watering it every other
week with miracle grow.

Can anyone help at all? Is it dying and if so, is there anything I can do?
The plant has never flowered.

Mildew. Honeysuckle is a martyr to it.

Spray with Murphy's Dynocap or something similar.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-09-2008, 07:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote:
Have you got lots of red berries on the plant?
Because the birds love those :-)

Which part of "the plant has never flowered" did you
fail to understand?

--
AnneJ

Not so much didn't understand, more 'missed'. I even very nearly went back
and asked him if it had flowered ;-)) Now that would have amused you and
given you something to write home about :-))

DO have a nice day.

Old 23-09-2008, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:
| The message
| from "Alex Barrow" contains these words:
|
| I recently planted a honeysuckle into my garden, in a partial shadey area
| against a trellis. I loosely fixed the new growth against the trellis, and
| it seemed to do very well, almost doubling it's height with lots of new
| green shoots. In the last couple of weeks however, it seems to have lost a
| lot of green leaves around the base and it seems to be travelling up the
| rest of the plant leaving lots of brown twiggey bits with no new growth!!
| The current green leaves have a white colur on them? I am not sure what I
| have done to make it react this way, I have been watering it every other
| week with miracle grow.
|
| Can anyone help at all? Is it dying and if so, is there anything I can do?
| The plant has never flowered.
|
| Mildew. Honeysuckle is a martyr to it.
|
| Spray with Murphy's Dynocap or something similar.

Nah. Do nothing. Even the 'evergreen' forms don't suffer from losing
their leaves in autumn, and will reshoot happily next year. I call
Lonicera japonica "semi-evergreen", which about describes it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 24-09-2008, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jal jal is offline

"'Mike'" wrote:
Have you got lots of red berries on the plant?
Because the birds love those :-)

Which part of "the plant has never flowered" did you
fail to understand?

--
AnneJ

Not so much didn't understand, more 'missed'. I even very nearly went back
and asked him if it had flowered ;-)) Now that would have amused you and
given you something to write home about :-))

DO have a nice day.

Well replied Mike - jolly good of you not to react.

Dunno who AnneJ is, but she has a sister called Mary!

john
Old 24-09-2008, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from jal contains these words:

Well replied Mike - jolly good of you not to react.

Dunno who AnneJ is, but she has a sister called Mary!

Careful, John!

If I were you I'd nail a stone with a hole in it over your front door...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig