Old 24-09-2008, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default taking bay cuttings?

I have got hold of a 'branch' from a bay bush, or is it a tree? - I don't
know, but it's a very robust plant, being about 7 ft tall and about 4 ft
diameter at the bottom.
I've been given a 2 ft section and the diameter of the bottom is about half
an inch, it has quite a lot of growth on it.
I've removed most of the growth from the bottom foot of the cutting and
these are hanging up to dry, I've planted the cutting in some compost and
soil so that about 8 inches of it are below ground and I've watered it well,
I only did this yesterday until I could find out more information about it.
Is there anything special I need to do?
Should it be indoors or out?

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Old 24-09-2008, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:53:44 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

I have got hold of a 'branch' from a bay bush, or is it a tree? - I don't
know, but it's a very robust plant, being about 7 ft tall and about 4 ft
diameter at the bottom.
I've been given a 2 ft section and the diameter of the bottom is about half
an inch, it has quite a lot of growth on it.
I've removed most of the growth from the bottom foot of the cutting and
these are hanging up to dry, I've planted the cutting in some compost and
soil so that about 8 inches of it are below ground and I've watered it well,
I only did this yesterday until I could find out more information about it.
Is there anything special I need to do?
Should it be indoors or out?

Dont' know, but

I have a standard bay laurel which often throws up 'suckers' from the
soil around the base. It's relatively easy to excavate down and chop
off a rooted 'cutting' which grows on well if potted.
Mostly successful in late spring and given a couple of months in a
coolish greenhouse.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Old 24-09-2008, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

I have got hold of a 'branch' from a bay bush, or is it a tree? - I don't
know, but it's a very robust plant, being about 7 ft tall and about 4 ft
diameter at the bottom.
I've been given a 2 ft section and the diameter of the bottom is about half
an inch, it has quite a lot of growth on it.
I've removed most of the growth from the bottom foot of the cutting and
these are hanging up to dry, I've planted the cutting in some compost and
soil so that about 8 inches of it are below ground and I've watered it
well,
I only did this yesterday until I could find out more information about it.
Is there anything special I need to do?
Should it be indoors or out?

I'd cut a section of stem out - leaving a scion on the side, and plant
the stem horizontally in a large pot of potting compost, leaving the
scion protruding.

Keep it in a shady place outside, and well watered.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 25-09-2008, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
[...]

What's a 'scion'? - google images only shows 1,600,000 pictures and every
one of them is of a car.

Old 25-09-2008, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

What's a 'scion'? - google images only shows 1,600,000 pictures and every
one of them is of a car.

A scion is a smaller branch growing from a stem. So the trunk has
scions, the scions have lesser scions, and those may have lesser scions
too, and so ad infinitum.

Applies to fleas too, but at least that rhymes with 'bite 'em...

I am a scion of Clan Buchanan, TAAAW, of many other clans and houses.
(And not a few hices)

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.

Old 25-09-2008, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...&btnG=Sear ch

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²