Old 25-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Registered User

Question avocado

I have grown an avacado from a stone. It is now 2 feet tall with a lot of leaves.....Some of the leaves have holes..some have been partly eaten...I keep it outside...What can be doing the damage?
Old 25-09-2008, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default avocado

In article ,
solaara writes:

| I have grown an avacado from a stone. It is now 2 feet tall with a lot
| of leaves.....Some of the leaves have holes..some have been partly
| eaten...I keep it outside...What can be doing the damage?

What are little boys made of? :-)

Seriously. It has been a VERY good year for them, due to the low
temperatures, lack of sun and near-continual rain. Some of my
leaf vegetables have been wiped out by them. Well, omitting the
puppy dog's tails, of course ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-09-2008, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
Seriously. It has been a VERY good year for them, due to the low
temperatures, lack of sun and near-continual rain. Some of my
leaf vegetables have been wiped out by them. Well, omitting the
puppy dog's tails, of course ....
---

Since my wife and I attracted hedgehogs to our garden, we have been almost
slug and snail free. Pre hedgehogs, our hostas and other large leaved plants
were almost devastated by the blighters. Whilst we have been watching, the
most hedgehogs visiting on the one evening have been eight - adult and
young.
We provide them with two low bowls of rainwater and dried cat food every
night. Their favourite food provided by us is Royal Canin Fit 32.
Our hedgehogs have expensive tastes, a small price to pay if it keeps our
garden slug and snail free.

MD.

Old 26-09-2008, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Derby wrote:
Since my wife and I attracted hedgehogs to our garden, we have been
almost slug and snail free. Pre hedgehogs, our hostas and other large
leaved plants were almost devastated by the blighters. Whilst we have
been watching, the most hedgehogs visiting on the one evening have
been eight - adult and young.
We provide them with two low bowls of rainwater and dried cat food
every night. Their favourite food provided by us is Royal Canin Fit
32. Our hedgehogs have expensive tastes, a small price to pay if it keeps
our garden slug and snail free.

MD.

So what's eating the slugs if you are providing the hedgehogs with luxury
food? ;-)

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 26-09-2008, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from solaara contains these words:

I have grown an avacado from a stone. It is now 2 feet tall with a lot
of leaves.....Some of the leaves have holes..some have been partly
eaten...I keep it outside...What can be doing the damage?

Leaf-cutters, most likely.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 26-09-2008, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
So what's eating the slugs if you are providing the hedgehogs with luxury
food? ;-)

---
Judging from the consistency of the droppings we have to clear away from
the patio slabs each morning, the hedgehogs are eating the slugs and snails
too.
MikeD.

Old 27-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Registered User

Question

What are leaf cutters? solaara

Avocado Plant David DeMar Gardening 6 03-06-2008 11:26 PM
Avocado cultivar that can be grown indoors rusty Plant Biology 1 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
avocado query whiteMemphis Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Avocado in Zone 6 Mark Edible Gardening 2 12-03-2003 10:56 AM
where can I get a sharwill avocado in So. Cal? PhilKryder Gardening 0 28-01-2003 02:29 AM