Old 26-09-2008, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Two rose questions

A couple for any rose experts out the

We were recently given three container grown roses:
Ruby Rambler - a miniature rambler
Ruby Wedding - floribunda
Alec's Red - hybrid tea
Over the winter, and probably into next year, we intend to do some radical
reorganisation in the garden. I don't want to plant these and then find I
need to move them in a few months time. Question is how long can I keep them
in the containers and how should I care for them while still containerised?

We have some existing roses that we want to keep but if they have to be
moved I'm likely to lose them. As insurance I'd like to take loads of
cuttings - the problem is with all the upheaval there's not likely to be an
undisturbed patch of ground in a suitable place for long enough. I have read
of rooting cuttings in buckets of sand. Presumably pots would be as good but
buckets could be better for me as they would be easier to move as required.
Various questions he
- would pure sand be suitable or should I mix some sort of compost in?
- what sort of sand -silver, builders, coarse?
- should I drill holes in the bottom of the buckets?
- would lifting them by the bucket handles disturb the roots?

Any comments/advice/warnings gratefully received.

JC

Old 26-09-2008, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
[...]

If not planting straight away I would recommend you pot on to a slightly
bigger pot. (about a fingers width all around bigger)
Re cuttings, hardwood rose cutting are probably best straight in the
ground, Pots can be used with a gritty compost (not sand but sharp sand)
buckets can only be used if you make holes in the bottom and this in
effect turns it into a pot so apart from the handle there is no advantage
and you have ruined a perfectly good bucket! Roses are also easy from
summer cuttings but it does depend on variety and yellow roses are more
difficult than others.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 26-09-2008, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
[...]

Thanks for this. Just my luck - one of them's yellow!