Old 08-06-2003, 02:44 PM
GR

Default Two questions - rose leaves and pruning!

We've just got back from a holiday and so we were away while our local
area (Upminster in Essex) received both torrential rain that almost
reached flood proportions, and a heatwave.

We returned to find that nearly all of the new leaves on a shrub rose
we planted back in April have curled up. Is there anything we can do
about this, or will we just have to pull the damaged leaves off and
wait for new foliage to grow?

Secondly, is it safe to prune young green growth on any plant during
the growing season if it's obviously growing in the wrong place or in
the wrong direction? We have a Chilean potato bush that's growing at
lightspeed (just what we wanted for screening purposes) , but as well
as growing up and sideways, it's growing away from the wall and
towards the house... am I okay to cut out the stems I don't want now,
or do I have to wait until the winter?

Many thanks as ever,

Gareth
Old 08-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Paul Kelly

"GR" wrote in message

Secondly, is it safe to prune young green growth on any plant during
the growing season if it's obviously growing in the wrong place or in
the wrong direction? We have a Chilean potato bush that's growing at
lightspeed (just what we wanted for screening purposes) , but as well
as growing up and sideways, it's growing away from the wall and
towards the house... am I okay to cut out the stems I don't want now,
or do I have to wait until the winter?

You can prune it at any time you like. Be warned though, if you stand close
to it and think about where to prune it will grow around you and pull you
into it self.......

pk

Two rose questions Bald eagle United Kingdom 2 26-09-2008 01:50 PM
rose pruning questions Jen Gardening 2 26-06-2006 10:02 AM
Leaves, leaves and yet more leaves! John Towill United Kingdom 12 01-11-2003 12:43 PM