Old 20-10-2008, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Manure

On 20/10/08 01:01, in article ,
"~misfit~" wrote:

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:
Isn't chicken manure especially notorious for burning off plants? If
it's not rotted down, it can be diluted a lot in buckets of water and
used that way. I think the same goes for cow manure but chicken is
even more powerful, supposedly - no idea of which ingredients account
for that!

It's the chicken's urine. They don't urinate and defacate seperately so
their manure is a mixture of both (which is why it's such a good fertiliser
used judiciously).

Cheers,

Ah, a useful nugget of information stored away. Thank you. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-10-2008, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AriesVal" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 01:39:30 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[20 quoted lines suppressed]

I keep mine until they pass away naturally. 8-10 years sometimes.

They are more or less pets then. I mainly keep hens for the eggs they lay
but I do enjoy seeing them running around too.

I would not call them "pets" exactly. I don't name them or allow them in
the house;-) I see no reason why, when they have given me their best shot,
to dispose of them, or kill them as some do once they are past their best
laying. I have plenty of room for the geriatrics to womble around giving me
occasional eggs, and I feel comfortable with keeping them this way, as I
have done for the past 30 years.
Atm I have I have 7 cocks and 16 hens of various rare breeds. I've cut
back..

Old 20-10-2008, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
[20 quoted lines suppressed]
I keep mine until they pass away naturally. 8-10 years sometimes.

They are more or less pets then. I mainly keep hens for the eggs they lay
but I do enjoy seeing them running around too.

I would not call them "pets" exactly. I don't name them or allow them in
the house;-) I see no reason why, when they have given me their best shot,
to dispose of them, or kill them as some do once they are past their best
laying. I have plenty of room for the geriatrics to womble around giving me
occasional eggs, and I feel comfortable with keeping them this way, as I
have done for the past 30 years.
Atm I have I have 7 cocks and 16 hens of various rare breeds. I've cut
back..

My neighbour has a similar set-up. About 20 hens and 6 or 7 cocks - also
of rarer breeds. I share totally the view expressed on the pleasure
given by them running around. However, occasionally marginal irritation
sets in when the cocks competitively announce the new day some 20m from
my pillow at c. 0415 on a summer morning. But then, I suspect I am
growing less patient as I age :-))
--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset
Old 20-10-2008, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tom Withycombe" wrote in message
In message , Christina Websell
writes

t...

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

g None of my neighbours have ever objected to sharing the news of the new
day with a cock-a-doodle-doo 75-100m away. Most say they don't notice, and
if they do, they like it, my nearest neighbours say they *love* it.
If they did I might suggest that they move back into a town and be woken up
by lorries revving up their diesel fumes under their window instead.
That'll larn 'em ;-)

Old 22-10-2008, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"~misfit~" wrote:

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:
Isn't chicken manure especially notorious for burning off plants?
If it's not rotted down, it can be diluted a lot in buckets of
water and used that way. I think the same goes for cow manure but
chicken is even more powerful, supposedly - no idea of which
ingredients account for that!

It's the chicken's urine. They don't urinate and defacate seperately
so their manure is a mixture of both (which is why it's such a good
fertiliser used judiciously).

Ah, a useful nugget of information stored away. Thank you. ;-)

You're welcome Sacha, I'm pleased to be able to add a bit to the knowledge
pool here, I'm certainly learning a lot myself. :-)
--
Shaun.

Old 22-10-2008, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 20/10/08 01:01, in article ,
"~misfit~" wrote:

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:
Isn't chicken manure especially notorious for burning off plants? If
it's not rotted down, it can be diluted a lot in buckets of water and
used that way. I think the same goes for cow manure but chicken is
even more powerful, supposedly - no idea of which ingredients account
for that!

It's the chicken's urine. They don't urinate and defacate seperately so
their manure is a mixture of both (which is why it's such a good
fertiliser
used judiciously).

Cheers,

Ah, a useful nugget of information stored away. Thank you. ;-)

This goes for all birds. It's the white bit on the top that is the "urine"
and what is underneath that is the poo. Chickens also do two different
types of poo some of which looks a bit like melted toffee and panics newbie
chicken keepers. Too much info, probably ;-)

Old 22-10-2008, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Christina Websell" typed:
"Sacha" wrote in message
On 20/10/08 01:01, in article ,
"~misfit~" wrote:

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:
Isn't chicken manure especially notorious for burning off plants? If
it's not rotted down, it can be diluted a lot in buckets of
water and used that way. I think the same goes for cow manure but
chicken is even more powerful, supposedly - no idea of which
ingredients account for that!

It's the chicken's urine. They don't urinate and defacate
seperately so their manure is a mixture of both (which is why it's
such a good fertiliser
used judiciously).

Ah, a useful nugget of information stored away. Thank you. ;-)

This goes for all birds.

Yeah, thought that was self-evident. The best bird manure is 'guano',
properly seabird manure, as it's derived from fish and is extra nutritious.
--
Shaun.

Old 23-10-2008, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/10/08 23:01, in article , "Christina
Websell" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 20/10/08 01:01, in article ,
"~misfit~" wrote:

[...]

Mercifully, I read this after dinner. ;-) Even though we did keep chickens
for a time many years ago, it wasn't something I'd given much thought to, I
must admit. But am I right in thinking this conglomeration applies to all
birds, hence the little 'packet' one sees?

Old 23-10-2008, 05:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:
On 22/10/08 23:01, in article ,
"Christina Websell" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 20/10/08 01:01, in article
, "~misfit~"
wrote:

[...]

;-)

Mercifully, I read this after dinner. ;-) Even though we did keep
chickens for a time many years ago, it wasn't something I'd given
much thought to, I must admit. But am I right in thinking this
conglomeration applies to all birds, hence the little 'packet' one
sees?

You are correct Sacha, all birds, reptiles and frogs. Any animal that has a
'cloaca' instead of seperate anus and urethra.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old 23-10-2008, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/10/08 05:40, in article ,
"~misfit~" wrote:

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:
On 22/10/08 23:01, in article ,
"Christina Websell" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 20/10/08 01:01, in article
, "~misfit~"
wrote:

[...]

The things you learn here........ Thanks, Shaun.