Old 17-10-2008, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another citrus questions

Hi All

I brought a small single stemmed lemon plant from Wilkos and kept it indoors
until summer on the window seal. This year it has put on a lot of growth
and I cannot put it back on the window that I had it. I read up on them and
it says that they are ok in a conservatory over winter as long as there is
no frost.

I just went out to check on it and the leaves are all turning yellow and it
has lost a couple as I moved it. I know that the leaves can change colour
if they are too wet or too cold so have brought him back indoors. As the
temperature change is going to be quite a lot I have temporarily put him in
our bath room as this is the coldest room we have.

Any advice on what to do next would be really appreciated.

Will the yellow leaves now all fall off, or will they remain on the plant
and return to their glossy green?

Thank you
Donna

Old 17-10-2008, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Donna UK wrote:

Any advice on what to do next would be really appreciated.

That is a problem, at this time of year. You can only hope that it
comes through the winter and reshoots next year, at which point
you can prune it if needed.

Checking on the drainage in the pot is a good idea; we haven't had
much cold, and it sounds more like waterlogging.

Will the yellow leaves now all fall off, or will they remain on the plant
and return to their glossy green?

They will all fall off. Sorry.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-10-2008, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/10/08 08:17, in article , "Donna
UK" wrote:

[...]

The leaves will fall off, I'm afraid. I think you're probably over-watering
it. It needs to be able to drain right out between waterings and in winter
especially, to be almost dry before watering and draining etc. I'd find it
somewhere light and definitely frost-free and keep it there for the winter.
Light and sharp drainage are what it needs and bathrooms aren't usually the
most light-filled rooms in a house. If you water it in winter it's standing
around in the cold with wet feet which few things enjoy! And try to make
sure that if you do have to water it, you do it in the morning, then it has
all day to drain before the night temps arrive.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_3_] View Post

Will the yellow leaves now all fall off, or will they remain on the plant
and return to their glossy green?
As with all evergreen, citrus have to shed their leaves. I take it for granted that at this time of year it is shedding year-old leaves.
Old 18-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
As with all evergreen, citrus have to shed their leaves. I take it for granted that at this time of year it is shedding year-old leaves.
Citrus leaves live for between 12 and 24 months depending on the species. If they turn yellow and drop off it is preferable, as this identifies something to treat. Its time to worry a little of they start to drop healthy green leaves with the petiole rather than just the leaf. Most common reasons for leaf drop are...Winter Leaf Drop, change in environment, lack of humidity, mineral deficiencies.

Old 18-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Registered User

Just to add on...

I bought the same lemon from Wilko's lol. It was so small and cute but, like yours, mine has grown quite a lot.

Would you be able to post a pic of it? I would be interested to see how other people's are getting along! I collect a lot of citrus now, its an addictive hobby lol. Can you tell me a bit about it and its current location and I will give some care tips if you need them (just say if not ). Like what is its current environment like (light, heat, humidity), what kind of pot is it in and how big is the pot, what the potting mix is like that you have it in, how you water it, when you fertilize etc

I also bought the calamondin from Wilko's along with the lemon. Both are rooted cuttings and should be at a mature enough age to fruit...my calamondin has flowered since I bought it and set fruit, the lemon I believe may take a little longer

So post a pic when you can and I will too...once I get back from work.

Dan