Old 21-10-2008, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Using black plastic sheeting to kill off vegetation prior to vegetable-planting

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:25:11 +0100, Jake D wrote:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:35:30 +0100, "catkin"
wrote:

I think that you'd need to leave the plastic in place for at least a year
for this to work. If you remove the plastic in time to plant anything in
spring then there will still be time for weed seeds to germinate and for
perennials like bind weed to grow.

I see. I was jumping to a wrong assumption that the black plastic only
needs to be in place for about a month.

This website says not longer than two months
http://www.plantea.com/weeding-tips-part1.htm

This one says "several weeks"
http://www.stretcher.com/stories/990503b.cfm

"I read it on the internet. It *MUST* be right..."

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 21-10-2008, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

I found I lost so many Broad Beans when I planted in the autumn that I
changed to planting in early Feb. Can't say I noticed any delay in the
cropping.

That's not the idea - autumn-planted broad beans have a greater
resistance to blackfly.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 21-10-2008, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge " wrote after
from "Bob Hobden" wittered on
I found I lost so many Broad Beans when I planted in the autumn that I
changed to planting in early Feb. Can't say I noticed any delay in the
cropping.

That's not the idea - autumn-planted broad beans have a greater
resistance to blackfly.

I have never heard that. Can't imagine it is true of outdoor planted beans,
maybe true of greenhouse germinated plants that are therefore a bit "soft".

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-10-2008, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
wrote:

I think that you'd need to leave the plastic in place for at
least a year
for this to work. If you remove the plastic in time to plant
anything in
spring then there will still be time for weed seeds to germinate
and for
perennials like bind weed to grow.

I see. I was jumping to a wrong assumption that the black plastic only
needs to be in place for about a month.

This website says not longer than two months
http://www.plantea.com/weeding-tips-part1.htm

This one says "several weeks"
http://www.stretcher.com/stories/990503b.cfm

"I read it on the internet. It *MUST* be right..."

Sadly, the same applies to expert postings to this group. )

But here, someone will come and correct...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig