Old 23-10-2008, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pino Marittimo

Can/do examples of this occur in the UK?

http://www.fotoeweb.it/sorrentina/Fo...o%20Erchie.jpg
Old 23-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxman View Post
Can/do examples of this occur in the UK?

http://www.fotoeweb.it/sorrentina/Fo...o%20Erchie.jpg

Yes, called the Maritime pine.
__________________
Carrot Cruncher.
Old 23-10-2008, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/10/08 09:23, in article ,
"Saxman" wrote:

Can/do examples of this occur in the UK?

http://www.fotoeweb.it/sorrentina/Fo...o%20Erchie.jpg

These people have Pinus nigra maritima but I doubt they do mail order:
http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/agrotree.html
And
http://www.standardtrees.co.uk/prices.html

I think that, strictly speaking, its correct botanical name is Pinus
pinaster.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxman View Post
Can/do examples of this occur in the UK?

http://www.fotoeweb.it/sorrentina/Fo...o%20Erchie.jpg
Yes, it is naturalised in various places, for example on heathland in Dorset. It is also grown as an ornamental or for shelter belt quite widely around the country, mainly near the coast, even in parts of Scotland.
Old 23-10-2008, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
On 23/10/08 09:23, in article ,
"Saxman" wrote:

Can/do examples of this occur in the UK?

http://www.fotoeweb.it/sorrentina/Fo...o%20Erchie.jpg

These people have Pinus nigra maritima but I doubt they do mail order:
http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/agrotree.html
And
http://www.standardtrees.co.uk/prices.html

I think that, strictly speaking, its correct botanical name is Pinus
pinaster.

Chiltern Seeds do - or did - Corsican pine. Very salt and wind-resistant.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 23-10-2008, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Chiltern Seeds do - or did - Corsican pine. Very salt and wind-resistant.

90 odd pines grow in this country, but can this species survive here? I
can't recall seeing any where I live, but there are plenty in Rome, Italy.

I think they are very attractive.
Old 23-10-2008, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

echinosum wrote:

Yes, it is naturalised in various places, for example on heathland in
Dorset. It is also grown as an ornamental or for shelter belt quite
widely around the country, mainly near the coast, even in parts of
Scotland.

Then maybe we should plant a few more in the UK?
Old 24-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Registered User

echinosum wrote:

Yes, it is naturalised in various places, for example on heathland in
Dorset. It is also grown as an ornamental or for shelter belt quite
widely around the country, mainly near the coast, even in parts of
Scotland.

Then maybe we should plant a few more in the UK?
In some circumstances they can be an invasive weed. They are being cut down in Dorset to conserve their rare heathland habitat. But most places that isn't going to be an issue, so why not. I rather like that kind of thing.
Old 24-10-2008, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Saxman contains these words:
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Chiltern Seeds do - or did - Corsican pine. Very salt and wind-resistant.

90 odd pines grow in this country, but can this species survive here? I
can't recall seeing any where I live, but there are plenty in Rome, Italy.

I think they are very attractive.

In the UK? Yes. Recommended some years ago on GQT IIRC.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Pino mugo seeds CARLO Bonsai 2 07-06-2003 07:20 PM
[IBC] Pino mugo seeds Jim Lewis Bonsai 11 06-06-2003 03:08 PM