Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-10-2008, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default hedge advice needed please

We're about to plant a hedge, preferable evergreen. we want something
reasonably easy to maintain but which will not take too long to look "hedge
like". we are on quite heavy clay and this will be in a south facing garden
with trees so not too sunny. So far I've come up with holly. Does this sound
like a good choice? All our other hedges are hornbeam but they are a bit too
see through in the winter and the hedge will divide teh driveway from teh
garden so we want it to be (a) dense so that we cannot see the cars adn (b)
reasonably child proof. How quickly will holly bush out into a hedge? (We
can have a temporary fence to start with next to it.) Also I've seen plants
advertised in teh back of GW. In particular Hopes Grove nurseries - has
anyone used these? We don't know whether to go mail order or try to find a
garden centre selling plants. We'd also appreciate any advice re size to
buy. This lot sell 4-5 foot in pots. would that establish okay or would we
be better off with smaller ones? Any advice appreciated .
thanks in advance,

--
Hayley
gardening on clay in Somerset