Old 13-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Registered User

Unhappy greenhouse

dont know if im at right place here,
but here goes.just built a greenhouse 8x6ft,
ive tried all over the net for advice on heating,lighting etc.
can anyone help or tell me best place to find it.
Old 13-11-2008, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default greenhouse

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:08:47 +0000, vikpole
wrote and included this (or some
of this):

dont know if im at right place here,
but here goes.just built a greenhouse 8x6ft,
ive tried all over the net for advice on heating,lighting etc.
can anyone help or tell me best place to find it.

Egypt is good.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 13-11-2008, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:08:47 +0000, vikpole
wrote and included this (or some
of this):

dont know if im at right place here,
but here goes.just built a greenhouse 8x6ft,
ive tried all over the net for advice on heating,lighting etc.
can anyone help or tell me best place to find it.

Egypt is good.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Coming into urg from gardenbanter is like waving a red rag to a bull :-((

Not much support from here, you watch :-((

Mike

Old 13-11-2008, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

vikpole writes

dont know if im at right place here,
but here goes.just built a greenhouse 8x6ft,
ive tried all over the net for advice on heating,lighting etc.
can anyone help or tell me best place to find it.

What are you planning to use the greenhouse for? That will determine to
what extent you want to heat it.
--
Kay
Old 13-11-2008, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

vikpole wrote:
dont know if im at right place here,
but here goes.just built a greenhouse 8x6ft,
ive tried all over the net for advice on heating,lighting etc.
can anyone help or tell me best place to find it.

How close is your greenhouse to an electricity supply?

If you want mains electricity in your greenhouse, the supply is now
goverened by the part (prat?) P regulations and can onlybe done
officially by a qualified electrician - ask in uk.d-i-y for ideas

If you want to heat the whole greenhouse, insulate it with bubble
plastic - but even then it will be very expensive.

If you only want to raise some seedlings in the spring, I have
successfully used a heated propagator. Build a tray 5 or 6 inches deep
and use this to make a heated bed using soil warming cable. Then mount
an aluminium cold frame on top (make the bed to fitthe cold frame) and
insulate the cold frame with bubble plastic. For the last 5 ears I have
had no problems raising seedlings using this system, starting in February

Malcolm

Old 13-11-2008, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
vikpole writes

dont know if im at right place here,
but here goes.just built a greenhouse 8x6ft,
ive tried all over the net for advice on heating,lighting etc.
can anyone help or tell me best place to find it.

What are you planning to use the greenhouse for? That will determine to
what extent you want to heat it.

You beat me to it Kay.
Until we know what you want to grow we can't start to advise you on heating
and lighting.
By lighting do you mean grow lights?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikpole View Post
dont know if im at right place here,
but here goes.just built a greenhouse 8x6ft,
ive tried all over the net for advice on heating,lighting etc.
can anyone help or tell me best place to find it.
Not a brilliant site but should help you calculate heat loss and the heat input needed. but line it with bubble pack and if you only want to keep it frost free then 1KW would be ok otherwise 2KW would probably be needed if you want to keep it at say 12C. http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/G...hdbk/heat.html

Alternatively go to your local library and check out the books there.
A useful one is by Ian G Walls called "the complete book of the greenhouse"
Old 14-11-2008, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Malcolm
writes
vikpole wrote:
dont know if im at right place here,
but here goes.just built a greenhouse 8x6ft,
ive tried all over the net for advice on heating,lighting etc.
can anyone help or tell me best place to find it.

How close is your greenhouse to an electricity supply?

If you want mains electricity in your greenhouse, the supply is now
goverened by the part (prat?) P regulations and can onlybe done
officially by a qualified electrician - ask in uk.d-i-y for ideas

Bzzzzzt - wrong :-)

Yes, the installation is governed by Part P of the building regs, but
that doesn't mean it can only be done by a qualified person.

what it means is that the work is covered by building regulations. An
electrician who is 'part P registered' can self certify their work. It
is perfectly fine to DIY it, but you need to put in notice to the local
authority as you do for any other work that is covered by building regs.
The LA can then inspect the work if they wish as they do for other
building works.

You do of course need to know what you are doing.

If you want to heat the whole greenhouse, insulate it with bubble
plastic - but even then it will be very expensive.

If you only want to raise some seedlings in the spring, I have
successfully used a heated propagator. Build a tray 5 or 6 inches deep
and use this to make a heated bed using soil warming cable. Then mount
an aluminium cold frame on top (make the bed to fitthe cold frame) and
insulate the cold frame with bubble plastic.

Basically what we do as well
--
Chris French

Old 16-11-2008, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Granity contains these words:
vikpole;822583 Wrote:

dont know if im at right place here,
but here goes.just built a greenhouse 8x6ft,
ive tried all over the net for advice on heating,lighting etc.
can anyone help or tell me best place to find it.

Not a brilliant site but should help you calculate heat loss and the
heat input needed. but line it with bubble pack and if you only want to
keep it frost free then 1KW would be ok otherwise 2KW would probably be
needed if you want to keep it at say 12C. http://tinyurl.com/65heav

If you want to keep it frost-free, 1 KW is well OTT for a
bubblewrap-lined greenhouse.

A hurricane lamp is all i use, but a 60 watt filament-type bulb in a
cage should do it.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 16-11-2008, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Malcolm contains these words:
vikpole wrote:

dont know if im at right place here,

Yes

but here goes.just built a greenhouse 8x6ft,
ive tried all over the net for advice on heating,lighting etc.
can anyone help or tell me best place to find it.

How close is your greenhouse to an electricity supply?

Even if it's not close, and you don't want to risk mains there (for
whatever reason), you can run a low-voltage line down quite legally.
But, because losses are higher the lower the voltage, mains electricity
is better, as is, in the case of low voltage supply, heavy cable. (30
amp cooker cable isn't too heavy...)

Otherwise, it's perfectly legal to run a 'temporary' extension lead down
there.

If you want mains electricity in your greenhouse, the supply is now
goverened by the part (prat?) P regulations and can onlybe done
officially by a qualified electrician - ask in uk.d-i-y for ideas

If you want to heat the whole greenhouse, insulate it with bubble
plastic - but even then it will be very expensive.

No it won't. You can often get it free from white-goods suppliers.

Just cut clear polythene (from garden centre/seedsman 'cos it'll be
UV-stable) to size, spray with carpet adhesive, and stick bubblewrap on
patchwork-wise, then fix in place - you moght have to support it with
wooden slats/rails, as even the best tape will peel off with heat and
condensation.

If you only want to raise some seedlings in the spring, I have
successfully used a heated propagator. Build a tray 5 or 6 inches deep
and use this to make a heated bed using soil warming cable. Then mount
an aluminium cold frame on top (make the bed to fitthe cold frame) and
insulate the cold frame with bubble plastic. For the last 5 ears I have
had no problems raising seedlings using this system, starting in February

I made a large propagator by laying a waterproof tray over a
single-bed-sized electric blanket on a base of expanded polystyerine.
However, you must make sure such an arrangement is fed via one of those
leakage detector cutouts.

Malcolm

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 16-11-2008, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Rusty_Hinge
writes

No it won't. You can often get it free from white-goods suppliers.

I've just bought enough triple walled wrap to do an 8 x 10 greenhouse
for under £20.00 from Ebay inc. clips. You need to get the stuff that
has two flat sides with the bubbles in the middle and not the ordinary
stuff where you can feel the bubbles.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 16-11-2008, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

In article , Rusty_Hinge
writes

No it won't. You can often get it free from white-goods suppliers.

I've just bought enough triple walled wrap to do an 8 x 10 greenhouse
for under £20.00 from Ebay inc. clips. You need to get the stuff that
has two flat sides with the bubbles in the middle and not the ordinary
stuff where you can feel the bubbles.

Butbutbut - if you spray the plain sheet with carpet adhesive you can
put the bubble side down and have your flat-both-sidedness.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-11-2008, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Rusty_Hinge
writes

Butbutbut - if you spray the plain sheet with carpet adhesive you can
put the bubble side down and have your flat-both-sidedness.

Oh, er, I'll take your word for it Rusty!
Old 18-11-2008, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:
In article , Rusty_Hinge
writes

Butbutbut - if you spray the plain sheet with carpet adhesive you can
put the bubble side down and have your flat-both-sidedness.

Oh, er, I'll take your word for it Rusty!

Do - it works a treat. Depending on how many pieces you use, and how
small they are (or how large, if you're an optimist) it looks more or
less (or less or more) tidy.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-11-2008, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:
In article , Rusty_Hinge
writes

Butbutbut - if you spray the plain sheet with carpet adhesive you can
put the bubble side down and have your flat-both-sidedness.

Oh, er, I'll take your word for it Rusty!

Do - it works a treat. Depending on how many pieces you use, and how
small they are (or how large, if you're an optimist) it looks more or
less (or less or more) tidy.

--
Rusty

A few questions from her outdoors ;-)

1) The Bubblewrap we have in our greenhouse has to be replaced as the sun
breaks it down. Is this method any better to stop the decomposition of the
Bubblewrap?

2) How easy is it to get off when the decomposition does come and it has to
be replaced?

3) We find that Bubblewrap comes in different sorts of sizes and grades. Big
Bubbles. Small Bubbles etc. Which are best?

4) How is the best way to go about it in a full 8 x 6 greenhouse? ;-)

Look forward to your answers, .......... or offer to do ours ;-)

Mike

greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Greenhouse for herbs? JoAnna Gardening 3 09-02-2003 03:36 PM
Cleaning greenhouse Dave Orchids 8 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 09:15 PM
Ant-hostile greenhouse Vespaman Orchids 0 28-01-2003 04:26 PM