Old 29-12-2008, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chilli plant wilting

I got a chilli plant from one of my children for Christmas.

On Christmas day it looked happy enough, with plenty of small bulbous
red fruits. Now, the leaves are wilting and it doesn't look too goo.

It spent a couple of days before Christmas in the garage; since then
it's been in the rather warmer house.

I'd hate this thing to suffer a premature death - how can I prevent
that?

Daniele
Old 29-12-2008, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:57:30 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote:

I got a chilli plant from one of my children for Christmas.

I'm afraid that there's a pretty good chance that the damage was done
before you received it. It may have suffered from being on display
outside a florist's shop or on a market stall and then just come to you
to die IYSWIM. Maybe best to pick and preserve the chillis now and have a
reminder of the gift every time you use one during the year? I may be
wrong but I think that they're annuals and naturally die after fruiting.
If so these have been deliberately sown late and grown under glass for
the Christmas trade (they usually fruit when tomatoes do).
Old 29-12-2008, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Derek Turner writes
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:57:30 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote:

I got a chilli plant from one of my children for Christmas.

I'm afraid that there's a pretty good chance that the damage was done
before you received it. It may have suffered from being on display
outside a florist's shop or on a market stall and then just come to you
to die IYSWIM. Maybe best to pick and preserve the chillis now and have a
reminder of the gift every time you use one during the year? I may be
wrong but I think that they're annuals and naturally die after fruiting.
If so these have been deliberately sown late and grown under glass for
the Christmas trade (they usually fruit when tomatoes do).

At least some of the chillis are perennial, but they don't like the
British winter. Although they can be nursed through it with warmth and
good light, it's not usually worth the effort - it's easier to plant new
seed.

Wilting leaves usually means water is not finding its way from the roots
to the leaves. Usually this is because the houseplant has been
overwatered and the roots have rotted. Somtimes it's because something
has eaten all the roots. In this case it could be because the plant
needs watering.

Put it in a window with good light, nip off any leaves which are
yellowing, give a bit of water and see what happens. If any stems are
dying back, cut them back neatly just above a leaf bud. Fruits can stay
on - they dry quite nicely on the plant! If you're not seeing a good
improvement within a month, then use some of the seeds from one of the
fruits to grow yourself a new one.
--
Kay
Old 29-12-2008, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"D.M. Procida" wrote
I got a chilli plant from one of my children for Christmas.

On Christmas day it looked happy enough, with plenty of small bulbous
red fruits. Now, the leaves are wilting and it doesn't look too goo.

It spent a couple of days before Christmas in the garage; since then
it's been in the rather warmer house.

I'd hate this thing to suffer a premature death - how can I prevent
that?

From your description I do hope it is a chilli plant and not...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_pseudocapsicum

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

chilli pepper house plant "Apache" advice jives11 United Kingdom 8 11-11-2008 01:19 PM
HELP! My chilli plant has SHRIVELLED??? Pangdesign United Kingdom 5 13-08-2005 08:01 PM
Chilli Plant Problem - Advice Please sburgess63 North Carolina 3 07-08-2005 07:12 AM
Tomato plant wilting Alan Gardening 22 01-07-2005 12:10 AM
chilli plant grown with chilli seeds govinder United Kingdom 0 01-04-2003 11:20 PM