Old 31-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry75 View Post
Hi all,

New to this site and must say it's great.I am in the process of buying a greenhouse and wondering whats the difference between horticulture glass and toughened glass.Where the greenhouse will be located will be exposed to winds until the garden becomes a bit more mature.Is it better to go for toughened glass for keeping the greenhouse warmer during the winter months?The toughnened glass is £200 extra.Any advice welcome on this

Thanks

Barry
Ordinary greenhouse glass is extremely thin and the slightest chip or crack can end up with you losing lots of it in a gale. Toughened glass will reduce light levels by a small amount, but not as much as you'd lose with polycarbonate sheets. I don't think, altho someone may correct me, that it will affect temps in the GH in the winter. If you can afford it I'd go with the toughened glass.