Old 06-01-2009, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Killing tree suckers

I have a large number of plum suckers growing up around the sites of old
trees that have been felled, and also many sycamore saplings too big to
dig out - all of which I wish to permanently remove.

Some years ago I was able to get a crystalline product which was spread
onto the stump immediately after cutting and which effectively killed
the whole thing, but this does not appear to be available any more.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to a suitable replacement? It
doesn't have to be organic, but the less toxic the better.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roy Bailey wrote:
I have a large number of plum suckers growing up around the sites of old
trees that have been felled, and also many sycamore saplings too big to
dig out - all of which I wish to permanently remove.

Some years ago I was able to get a crystalline product which was spread
onto the stump immediately after cutting and which effectively killed
the whole thing, but this does not appear to be available any more.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to a suitable replacement? It
doesn't have to be organic, but the less toxic the better.

Roy.

Are the stumps of the plums still there? If so cut into them then pour
brush killer into it. The moral of the sycamore is not to allow them to
grow so big, they are woods weeds. It has taken me several years of
work, cutting off all growth manually to get rid of a similar problem
here, in my defence they were here when I purchased the property.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 13:31:31 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Roy Bailey wrote:

Snip
I cut my sycamore off where it entered the ground and haven't heard a peep out
of it since. It is definitely dead. it put up no fight at all.

Must be the southern variety, a Northerner would put up a better fight.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roy Bailey wrote:
I have a large number of plum suckers growing up around the sites of old
trees that have been felled, and also many sycamore saplings too big to
dig out - all of which I wish to permanently remove.

Some years ago I was able to get a crystalline product which was spread
onto the stump immediately after cutting and which effectively killed
the whole thing, but this does not appear to be available any more.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to a suitable replacement? It
doesn't have to be organic, but the less toxic the better.

Roy.

Are you thinking of Root Out? AFAIK still available

Malcolm
Old 06-01-2009, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Malcolm
writes
Roy Bailey wrote:
I have a large number of plum suckers growing up around the sites of
old trees that have been felled, and also many sycamore saplings too
big to dig out - all of which I wish to permanently remove.
Some years ago I was able to get a crystalline product which was
spread onto the stump immediately after cutting and which effectively
killed the whole thing, but this does not appear to be available any

Does anyone have any recommendations as to a suitable replacement?
It doesn't have to be organic, but the less toxic the better.
Roy.

Are you thinking of Root Out? AFAIK still available

That's the stuff. Ammonium sulphamate, also marketed as Deep Root and
Amcide.

But searches via Google seem to suggest that it was withdrawn from use
nearly a year ago, thanks to interference from the European Union, and
can only be used as a compost accelerator.

I can't think why, because Wikipedia states:

'Perhaps its best known use is as a safe, broad spectrum herbicide that
is particularly useful in controlling tough woody weeds, tree stumps and
brambles. Its extremely low toxicity to humans and animals makes it
ideal for both amateur home garden, professional and forestry uses. It
is considered the most environmentally friendly and one of the safest
weedkillers to use on plots of land that will be used for growing fruit
and vegetables intended for consumption. Once applied it is slowly
converted in the soil to the useful fertilizer ammonium sulfate
(ammonium sulphate).'

This seems daft. If it can be used as a compost accelerator, what is
wrong with using it to kill tree stumps?

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Roy Bailey writes

That's the stuff. Ammonium sulphamate, also marketed as Deep Root and
Amcide.

But searches via Google seem to suggest that it was withdrawn from use
nearly a year ago, thanks to interference from the European Union,

.... because the company decided not to submit a data package to the EC
Review - possibly because sales are not sufficient for the company to
feel it was worthwhile providing the data package.

--
Kay
Old 07-01-2009, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes
Roy Bailey writes

That's the stuff. Ammonium sulphamate, also marketed as Deep Root and
Amcide.

But searches via Google seem to suggest that it was withdrawn from use
nearly a year ago, thanks to interference from the European Union,

... because the company decided not to submit a data package to the EC
Review - possibly because sales are not sufficient for the company to
feel it was worthwhile providing the data package.

Good point. Thanks to those of you who provided useful advice.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Suckers from tree base Higgs Boson Gardening 10 07-09-2011 05:04 PM
Dig up tree root from large Cedar tree without Killing Tree? Albert[_4_] Gardening 8 12-08-2008 01:37 PM
HELP!!!! Acacia tree root suckers Zz Yzx Lawns 9 07-08-2007 11:48 PM
Tree suckers [email protected] Lawns 2 11-05-2006 05:42 AM
Plum tree suckers tenplay Gardening 0 21-05-2005 08:05 PM