Old 07-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Registered User

Unhappy avocado

I have an avocado stone which germanated last year and is now two and a half feet..I had it outside in the summer and autumn and it flourished except that leaf cutters were attacking it , so I brought it inside at the end of autumn, but lately something has been eating the leaves....I've sprayed it but it still is being eaten...what else can I do ?...... solaara

Old 07-01-2009, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from solaara contains these words:

I have an avocado stone which germanated last year and is now two and a
half feet..I had it outside in the summer and autumn and it flourished
except that leaf cutters were attacking it , so I brought it inside at
the end of autumn, but lately something has been eating the
leaves....I've sprayed it but it still is being eaten...what else can I
do ?...... solaara

Get some of that sticky band you wrap round fruit trees - you've
probably got some nasties lurking in the soil.

Depending on where you are, you might be able to bring it on outside -
there's one loose in a London garden which (allegedly) sets fruit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 09-01-2009, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

solaara ha scritto:
I have an avocado stone which germanated last year and is now two and a
half feet..I had it outside in the summer and autumn and it flourished
except that leaf cutters were attacking it , so I brought it inside at
the end of autumn, but lately something has been eating the
leaves....I've sprayed it but it still is being eaten...what else can I
do ?...... solaara

The problem is that avocado is a tropical plant. If you keep it in your
house is more probable it will survive, but if it is still suffering
attacks from some parasites, in this way you allow them to survive.

Look at the leaves could be somewhere caterpillars, or perhaps
Otiorrhinchus adults on the ground. These insects during the night go
and eat the leaves. They eat the leaves in a typical way
- http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otiorrhynchus_cribricollis

This is only one of the 6-7 more frequent species ad it affects the
olive tree.
In this case you can use natural or synthetic piretroids.

An other thing you can do is to take it out side and kill in this way
the parasites and then take it inside again. You must be careful because
of the temperature difference. Make it in the middle of the day.

Here you can find something about the the effect of the temperature on
it:
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0

Hope it helps,
Bye

Old 10-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Registered User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by news-search[_3_] View Post
solaara ha scritto:
[...]

Thanks for all the help....solaara

Avocado Plant David DeMar Gardening 6 03-06-2008 11:26 PM
Avocado cultivar that can be grown indoors rusty Plant Biology 1 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
avocado query whiteMemphis Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Avocado in Zone 6 Mark Edible Gardening 2 12-03-2003 10:56 AM
where can I get a sharwill avocado in So. Cal? PhilKryder Gardening 0 28-01-2003 02:29 AM