Old 25-01-2009, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rat problem

I've just become aware of rats running up the bird table to get
the bread. The rats seem to live under the shed.

I've put down poison bait on tobacco tin lids under the shed,
and this gets taken, but so do the tin lids!

The rats ignore the spring traps and the squirrel trap (big square
wire frame)

How do I get rid of them and also know that I've got rid of them?

They're only 10 foot from the kitchen door which I now keep
resolutely closed.

Old 25-01-2009, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Amateur Gardener" contains
these words:

I've just become aware of rats running up the bird table to get
the bread. The rats seem to live under the shed.

I've put down poison bait on tobacco tin lids under the shed,
and this gets taken, but so do the tin lids!

Not big enough. You need:

some lengths of plastic drainpipe - say, of two feet. Starting with a
longer length, cut them out like this:
|/ \/ \/ \/|
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
_ __ _
|/ Discard \/ Keep - turn ( )
_______ ________ ^
/ -- \ L_ cut
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
__
Cut the bottoms of the \/ wedge-shaped bits of tube you have left over,
so you can slip them over the pipes.

Cut holes in the middle of pipes, so you can put at least a wineglass of
poison in - or a tomato purée tin full.

Slip cut ring over hole.

Place pipes beside vertical surfaces - rats (and mice) tend to run along
the bases of walls, etc. Yhey like tubes like drainpipe to run
through...

"Ohhh! Dinner!"

Don't forget to check them and to keep them topped-up - rat poison isn't
immediate, and it may well take a week or more to have a permanent
effect.

Remember too, that hedgehogs and animals you might not want to
annihilate will eat rat poison, hence the pipes. TAAAW, it is illegal to
leave open trays of ratpoison about willy-nilly.

The rats ignore the spring traps and the squirrel trap (big square
wire frame)

Bait them with chocolate.

How do I get rid of them and also know that I've got rid of them?

They're only 10 foot from the kitchen door which I now keep
resolutely closed.

More poison. If they continue to turn up,

--
Tony
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 25-01-2009, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Amateur Gardener" wrote in message
I've just become aware of rats running up the bird table to get
the bread. The rats seem to live under the shed.

I've put down poison bait on tobacco tin lids under the shed,
and this gets taken, but so do the tin lids!

The rats ignore the spring traps and the squirrel trap (big square
wire frame)

How do I get rid of them and also know that I've got rid of them?

They're only 10 foot from the kitchen door which I now keep
resolutely closed.

If you only put bread on the bird table and not the ground, try using a
squirrel baffle (large plastic dome used umbrella-like on the leg of the
bird table) to stop the rats reaching the table surface. If you don't want
to buy one of these, a large tin lid usually does the same job. However, if
pigeons feed at the table, their messy eating habits will scatter food on
the ground anyway, which will still attract the rats.

The only remaining options are to a) stop putting out bread for the birds
:~( or b) to call in the council rat operative, who will probably tell you
to stop putting out bread anyway :~(

Also, there is a kind of pepper which you can buy to dust on bird food.
Squirrels can't stand it, but birds are still able to eat the food. Only
guessing, but since a squirrel is essentially a rat, it may deter rats too.
Alas, I can't remember the name .. it may be cayenne or paprika .. or
something else. Hopefully, someone else here will know ... or you could
google for the RSPB site.

Spider

Old 25-01-2009, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote after...
[...]

IME not all Local Councils have Pest Controllers nowadays, ours hasn't. We
had to pay Rentakil to rid us of our rats in our garden at home, they were
even swimming out onto our pond to take the Koi food!
We also found that the rodent poisons sold by GCs didn't work on the ones on
our allotment that were eating stuff so we got hold of some professional
poison in sachets which works well but I think some of the small rodents
that are causing problems don't like the peanut butter smell. Oh for a few
good hunting cats locally.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-01-2009, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote after...
[...]

Well, I confess that I have cats, and I certainly don't have a rat problem.
However, suggesting a cat solution on a gardening ng is likely to get one
linched. Further, suggesting it to someone who feeds birds is tantamount to
a death wish! I decided not to go there. How brave does that make you!?

Spider

Old 25-01-2009, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

IME not all Local Councils have Pest Controllers nowadays, ours hasn't. We
had to pay Rentakil to rid us of our rats in our garden at home, they were
even swimming out onto our pond to take the Koi food!
We also found that the rodent poisons sold by GCs didn't work on the
ones on
our allotment that were eating stuff so we got hold of some professional
poison in sachets which works well but I think some of the small rodents
that are causing problems don't like the peanut butter smell. Oh for a few
good hunting cats locally.

When there are rats about I take a pump-up air pistol around with me.
Also have a pre-charged air rifle with a big 'scope, and loads of other
things that go *BANG!*.

However, with the layout of the locality, I have to be extremely careful
where and when I use the airguns.

Smokepoles are a no-no...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 25-01-2009, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello Amateur,

I've just become aware of rats running up the bird table to get the
bread. The rats seem to live under the shed.

I've put down poison bait on tobacco tin lids under the shed, and this
gets taken, but so do the tin lids!

The rats ignore the spring traps and the squirrel trap (big square
wire frame)

How do I get rid of them and also know that I've got rid of them?

They're only 10 foot from the kitchen door which I now keep resolutely
closed.

Probably the best way is to get a cat. Our cat cleared out 14 in as many
days and we
haven't seen one since! Ann

Old 25-01-2009, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote after...
[...]

I would contact your local council and see what services they provide for
pest control .

It is free where is live .

Keith

Old 25-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Registered User

[quote] If you only put bread on the bird table and not the ground, try using a
squirrel baffle (large plastic dome used umbrella-like on the leg of the
bird table) to stop the rats reaching the table surface. [quote]

I have watched a rat let itself down onto a plastic dome, curl the end of its tail around the support and then it was able to reach the food. They are very intelligent beasties.

Poisoned bait in a tube was the only effective deterrent [apart from a good active terrier!].
Old 25-01-2009, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

When there are rats about I take a pump-up air pistol around with me.
Also have a pre-charged air rifle with a big 'scope, and loads of other
things that go *BANG!*.

A 4-bore loaded with SSG? Suitable for rats of any size :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 25-01-2009, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Spider
wrote

Well, I confess that I have cats, and I certainly don't have a rat problem.
However, suggesting a cat solution on a gardening ng is likely to get one
linched. Further, suggesting it to someone who feeds birds is tantamount to
a death wish! I decided not to go there. How brave does that make you!?

Get a cat and get rid of the bird problem at the same time.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 25-01-2009, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , wrote

A 4-bore loaded with SSG? Suitable for rats

and cats

Old 25-01-2009, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ann
Hartley wrote

Probably the best way is to get a cat.

Surely replacing one breed of vermin with another isn't the answer?

Old 25-01-2009, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Amateur Gardener" wrote in message
I've just become aware of rats running up the bird table to get
the bread. The rats seem to live under the shed.

I've put down poison bait on tobacco tin lids under the shed,
and this gets taken, but so do the tin lids!

The rats ignore the spring traps and the squirrel trap (big square
wire frame)

How do I get rid of them and also know that I've got rid of them?

They're only 10 foot from the kitchen door which I now keep
resolutely closed.

Can you see the hole? If so, connect a hose pipe to your car exhaust (or
petrol mower exhaust) and stick the other end down the rathole and run your
car engine for 20 minutes or so. Prairie farmers do this to get rid of
gophers and ground squirrels.
Graham

Feeding birds - rat problem Baz[_6_] United Kingdom 17 19-12-2012 10:15 AM
Please Help me with the RAT/MICE problem [email protected] United Kingdom 9 11-07-2006 02:37 PM
Rat poison, was Mulch against home? SugarChile Gardening 9 19-05-2003 12:20 AM
Rat in yard! Me too. Gardening 24 29-04-2003 05:08 AM
Humane rat control Mimi De Moratti United Kingdom 25 25-04-2003 01:20 AM