Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mistletoe

Not really a gardening question, but looking at some mistletoe in local
gardens made me think. It is an evergreen, but in the UK uses deciduous
trees/shrubs as a host. I wondered how it survives when the host is dormant
for so long. It is said that evergreen trees and shrubs can survive cold
weather very well providing their roots are not frozen. But mistletoe must
have frozen "roots" if the host branch is frozen, so how does it deal with
that situation?

Or have I got that completely wrong?

--
Jeff

Old 03-02-2009, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 08:29:52 -0000, "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

Not really a gardening question, but looking at some mistletoe in local
gardens made me think. It is an evergreen, but in the UK uses deciduous
trees/shrubs as a host. I wondered how it survives when the host is dormant
for so long. It is said that evergreen trees and shrubs can survive cold
weather very well providing their roots are not frozen. But mistletoe must
have frozen "roots" if the host branch is frozen, so how does it deal with
that situation?

Or have I got that completely wrong?

There's a big mistletoe plant growing on a Norway Maple only 50 years
from my house. I shall keep an eye on it to see how it does. It's
about 1 yard across. Nobody has got at it yet!

Pam in Bristol
Old 03-02-2009, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

There's a big mistletoe plant growing on a Norway Maple only 50 years
from my house. I shall keep an eye on it to see how it does. It's
about 1 yard across. Nobody has got at it yet!

Is that fifty years into the future, or the past?

D&RFC

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 03-02-2009, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Not really a gardening question, but looking at some mistletoe in local
gardens made me think. It is an evergreen, but in the UK uses deciduous
trees/shrubs as a host. I wondered how it survives when the host is
dormant for so long. It is said that evergreen trees and shrubs can
survive cold weather very well providing their roots are not frozen. But
mistletoe must have frozen "roots" if the host branch is frozen, so how
does it deal with that situation?

Or have I got that completely wrong?

This got mentioned in today's 'Home Planet' on BBC Radio 4

]http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/homeplanet.shtml

Old 03-02-2009, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

OG wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Not really a gardening question, but looking at some mistletoe in local
gardens made me think. It is an evergreen, but in the UK uses deciduous
trees/shrubs as a host. I wondered how it survives when the host is
dormant for so long. It is said that evergreen trees and shrubs can
survive cold weather very well providing their roots are not frozen. But
mistletoe must have frozen "roots" if the host branch is frozen, so how
does it deal with that situation?

Or have I got that completely wrong?

This got mentioned in today's 'Home Planet' on BBC Radio 4

]http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/homeplanet.shtml

Thanks for the ref. Strange coincidence - I meant to post this last week but
forgot!

--
Jeff

Old 03-02-2009, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , lid
says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
lid
says...
Not really a gardening question, but looking at some mistletoe in local
gardens made me think. It is an evergreen, but in the UK uses deciduous
trees/shrubs as a host. I wondered how it survives when the host is
dormant for so long. It is said that evergreen trees and shrubs can
survive cold weather very well providing their roots are not frozen.
But mistletoe must have frozen "roots" if the host branch is frozen, so
how does it deal with that situation?

Or have I got that completely wrong?

Many cold climate plants are quite able to be completely frozen solid
roots and all

That's the puzzle.

A cold-climate plant can "choose" to be either frozen and survive, or have
some sort of anti-freeze which might allow some movement of nutrients/fluid
around it and survive. If the host plant is frozen solid, what is the point
in mistletoe having anti-freeze if it cannot make use of the host plant's
fluids/minerals? I assume that mistletoe keeps its leaves in winter so it
can use them for photosynthesis. But it can't photosynthesize for long
without water - which it has to obtain from the host! So why is it
evergreen and not deciduous?

I don't know the complete answer but trees will start their sap rising
long before any leaves unfurl so there would be some advantage in already
having its leaves, water can also be absorbed directly along with
nutrients through leaves (hence folia feeding) so in winter it may not be
entirely dependant on the host plants sap
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 03-02-2009, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Jeff Layman" contains these words:

A cold-climate plant can "choose" to be either frozen and survive, or have
some sort of anti-freeze which might allow some movement of nutrients/fluid
around it and survive. If the host plant is frozen solid, what is the
point
in mistletoe having anti-freeze if it cannot make use of the host plant's
fluids/minerals? I assume that mistletoe keeps its leaves in winter so it
can use them for photosynthesis. But it can't photosynthesize for long
without water - which it has to obtain from the host! So why is it
evergreen and not deciduous?

I think it is rather a primitive plant, and may still be on the stem
from which deciduous plants branched - BICBW - PA.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 03-02-2009, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 15:06:52 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

There's a big mistletoe plant growing on a Norway Maple only 50 years
from my house. I shall keep an eye on it to see how it does. It's
about 1 yard across. Nobody has got at it yet!

Is that fifty years into the future, or the past?

D&RFC

Oops! a real senior moment there, but anyone with half a brain can do
better than I did and interpret!!! I can laugh at myself!

Pam in Bristol

Old 04-02-2009, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article , lid
says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
lid
says...
[...]

Yes, certainly in terms of the Norway Maple Pam mentioned. The sap
would already have been rising last month.

In fact this year I did some late maple pruning around Christmas,
thinking that the colder weather would have slowed things down. A big
mistake! A medium-small branch on A. cappidocicum ssp sinense (A.
sinense) bled and bled for weeks, through the deep freeze the sap
expanded and cracked the cambium below the cut down for several inches.
I really hope I haven't damaged it permanently...

-E

How to kill Mistletoe in oak trees? [email protected] Gardening 3 05-09-2003 02:02 AM
How to kill Mistletoe in Maple trees? Phisherman Gardening 5 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
mistletoe mistletoe Plant Science 11 05-05-2003 06:32 PM
Mistletoe Sean Houtman Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:29 PM
Mistletoe for swap Carol Russell United Kingdom 0 01-01-2003 09:40 PM