Old 04-02-2009, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Broad beans peeping through

I sowed 50 broad beans a couple of days after christmas and have
been looking out for signs of growth every day, and to my amazement
after the snow melted (yesterday) what do I see?
A very close inspection reveals 14 very very young plants, as if
someone fired a starting pistol, cos today another 7 are poking out.

I had almost given up!

As a novice gardener this is wwwwooooooooow

Part_No
Old 04-02-2009, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 04/02/09 13:44, Part_No wrote:
I sowed 50 broad beans a couple of days after christmas and have
been looking out for signs of growth every day, and to my amazement
after the snow melted (yesterday) what do I see?
A very close inspection reveals 14 very very young plants, as if
someone fired a starting pistol, cos today another 7 are poking out.

I had almost given up!

As a novice gardener this is wwwwooooooooow

Part_No

Wot variety of broad beans u sow then?

Ed

Old 04-02-2009, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Part_No" wrote in message
I sowed 50 broad beans a couple of days after christmas and have
been looking out for signs of growth every day, and to my amazement
after the snow melted (yesterday) what do I see?
A very close inspection reveals 14 very very young plants, as if
someone fired a starting pistol, cos today another 7 are poking out.

I had almost given up!

As a novice gardener this is wwwwooooooooow

Yes they are tough plants. My second lot are about the same as yours. If you
have room sow some more in March to make a succession of young beans to
pick.

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 04-02-2009, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert (Plymouth) wrote:

"Part_No" wrote in message
I sowed 50 broad beans a couple of days after christmas and have
been looking out for signs of growth every day, and to my amazement
after the snow melted (yesterday) what do I see?
A very close inspection reveals 14 very very young plants, as if
someone fired a starting pistol, cos today another 7 are poking out.

I had almost given up!

As a novice gardener this is wwwwooooooooow

Yes they are tough plants. My second lot are about the same as yours. If
you have room sow some more in March to make a succession of young beans
to pick.

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

No sign here of my Suttons, still hope perhaps then!
Old 05-02-2009, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Robert (Plymouth) wrote:

"Part_No" wrote in message
I sowed 50 broad beans a couple of days after christmas and have
been looking out for signs of growth every day, and to my amazement
after the snow melted (yesterday) what do I see?
A very close inspection reveals 14 very very young plants, as if
someone fired a starting pistol, cos today another 7 are poking out.

I had almost given up!

As a novice gardener this is wwwwooooooooow

Yes they are tough plants. My second lot are about the same as yours. If
you have room sow some more in March to make a succession of young beans
to pick.

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

No sign here of my Suttons, still hope perhaps then!

Yes they take ages to come through at this time of year especially when it's
so cold

Old 05-02-2009, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ed ex@directory wrote in
et:

On 04/02/09 13:44, Part_No wrote:
I sowed 50 broad beans a couple of days after christmas and have
been looking out for signs of growth every day, and to my amazement
after the snow melted (yesterday) what do I see?
A very close inspection reveals 14 very very young plants, as if
someone fired a starting pistol, cos today another 7 are poking out.

I had almost given up!

As a novice gardener this is wwwwooooooooow

Part_No

Wot variety of broad beans u sow then?

Ed

Ed, they are Aquadulce
Supposed to be a prolifc cropper.

I bought them loose at a local "gardening shop" and have about 250 still to
sow......cost £1.78, incredible price when you think that suttons etc.
charge more than that for a packet of about 50 seeds!

Got an allotement last autumn so the rest will go in there when I can get
on it. Bad weather has stopped me for weeks now.

Take care
Part_No
Old 11-02-2009, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(Steve Harris) wrote in
:

In article ,

(Part_No) wrote:

I sowed 50 broad beans a couple of days after christmas

A very close inspection reveals 14 very very young plants, as if
someone fired a starting pistol, cos today another 7 are poking out.

Interesting. The "books" would be against sowing when you did. More
usual to sow after Feb or during October/November.

Your plants will be very young at a cold time. It may be worth putting
a cloche over them.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Yes thats what I thought too, but a few allotment guys tod me they have
been doing this for years, November & February too.

I will put something over them though now you that you mention it.
I'll leave a few unprotected just as an experiment.

Also I have about 250 more to go into my new allotment this month, weather
permitting.

Thanks for the warning mate
Part_No
Old 11-02-2009, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 11/02/09 11:55, Part_No wrote:
(Steve Harris) wrote in
:

In article ,

(Part_No) wrote:

[...]

250!!! Wow that is an awful lot of broad beans!!

You growing anything else or have you got an enormous plot? What size is it?

Ed