Old 01-03-2009, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default mares/horse tail

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009, wrote
In article ,
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

[*] A traditional misrepresentation of 'chacun a son gout' (many people
don't like it - I don't), plus ground elder is also known as goutweed
and was used to treat gout.

À chacun son petit sureau, s'il vous plaît...

Er, are you sure?

I think he means á chacun son herbe aux goutteux.... yes, really!

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally

Old 02-03-2009, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

[*] A traditional misrepresentation of 'chacun a son gout' (many
people
don't like it - I don't), plus ground elder is also known as goutweed
and was used to treat gout.

À chacun son petit sureau, s'il vous plaît...

Er, are you sure?

I think he means á chacun son herbe aux goutteux.... yes, really!

That figures!

Un sureau is an elder tree, isn't it? So petit sureau could be 'ground
elder', though perhaps we could go for sureau haché. ;-)

It could be, bit it isn't. A quick Web search indicates that it's
another species of Sambucus.

Well, your webinfo is mistaken according to Harrap's. Petit sureau is
ground elder, which is not related to Sambucus AFAIK. Umbelicus,
maybe...

I dropped along to the MML and took a look at the dozen-volume Larousse,
but it had no reference to 'petit sureau'. It was clear that 'sureau'
was always applies to trees (mostly Sambucus, but including alder in
the past), including sureau nain, so I suspect that the use of petit
sureau for ground elder is a neologism, following English. If so, we
can expect it to used differently by different people.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
writes
In article ,
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

[...]

If you Google for "petit sureau" Sambucus and "petit sureau" Aegopodium,
firstly you get about twice as many hits for the former, and secondly
the first few links for the latter are references to petit sureau as
Sambucus ebulus on pages that happen to also mention Aegopodium.
Danewort seems to be the mainstream usage for petit sureau.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-03-2009, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/3/09 17:43, in article ,
" wrote:

In article ,
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

[...]

It's a 'mauvaise herbe', which is all we need to know in terms of
extermination! Phew! Sorry! ;-) Actually I've read that it's herbe aux
goutteux and someone has offered that already, n'est-ce pas?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-03-2009, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:

If you Google for "petit sureau" Sambucus and "petit sureau" Aegopodium,
firstly you get about twice as many hits for the former, and secondly
the first few links for the latter are references to petit sureau as
Sambucus ebulus on pages that happen to also mention Aegopodium.
Danewort seems to be the mainstream usage for petit sureau.

Yes, but one believes everything one finds on the internet, doesn't one?

It's like a argument held in another place (at another time) when Google
hits were cited as evidence that 'a chest of draws' was an acceptable
spelling...

--
Rusty
Old 13-03-2009, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "Christina Websell" contains
these words:

Is horsetail worse than ground elder?

Immesurably.

Besides, ground elder is a good vegetable, when the young leaves are
cooked.

I did try it a while ago on your recommendation. It has a peculiar taste
that I didn't like, boiled plain.
However, garlic mustard is just coming up in my garden, and the young leaves
were delicious in a chicken sandwich.
Did you see Come Dine with Me on the TV a few days ago? One of the women
was served a dish with rocket. She said she'd never heard of it and accused
her host of giving her "weeds from the garden."
sigh

Old 13-03-2009, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 20:43:53 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Did you see Come Dine with Me on the TV a few days ago? One of the women
was served a dish with rocket. She said she'd never heard of it and accused
her host of giving her "weeds from the garden."

Emperor's New Clothes, innit?

Well, it IS a weed from the garden! One I grow every year and we eat
a lot of ....

I am not a lover of chickweed, goutweed, nettles, dandelions and sow
thistles (all of which are edible), but rocket and goosefoot are
both very good (and rocket is better).

I did serve a girlfriend mallow soup - whe married me despite of that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-03-2009, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Christina Websell" contains
these words:

I did try it a while ago on your recommendation. It has a peculiar taste
that I didn't like, boiled plain.
However, garlic mustard is just coming up in my garden, and the young
leaves
were delicious in a chicken sandwich.

I use that from time to time.

Did you see Come Dine with Me on the TV a few days ago?

I haven't got a haunted fishtank...

One of the women
was served a dish with rocket. She said she'd never heard of it and
accused
her host of giving her "weeds from the garden."
sigh

Yes. Now I could really oblige in that department - chickweed and
dandelion leaves often turn up in my salads, fat hen and other
goose-foot species instead of spinach, oh, and (black) nightshade pie.

--
Rusty

mares tail Karin United Kingdom 76 15-02-2004 01:23 PM
mares tail [OT] Tom Bennett United Kingdom 0 11-02-2004 04:48 AM
mares tail , horse tail David Hill United Kingdom 0 01-02-2004 11:20 PM
Mares tail Ed Gardening 10 25-08-2003 03:32 PM
mares tail hendo2002 United Kingdom 4 26-06-2003 09:44 AM