Old 10-03-2009, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tips

On 10/3/09 11:28, in article , "Ophelia"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
If you want to write about compost, it might amuse/entertain/inform
people to learn about ZooPoo!
http://www.ecosci.co.uk/zoopoo.php
Though it's only delivered in the west country, so may not be of use
to you.

When it comes to aphids, maybe you could advise them to hang a bird
feeder near infested plants, thus attracting the birds to both the
feeder and the plants. That came from someone on here and I'm sorry
I can't remember who it was.

I spotted this thread and thought 'Great!' Just what I need.

Oh well, I did at least learn about putting dripping under my roses

And as there are no babies under gooseberry bushes, I'm sure we've all had a
useful lesson in contraception, too. ;-))
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-03-2009, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Please excuse this arrant plea for help but I feel certain that the
subscribers to this group is awash with such quirky tips - and I'd really
welcome some help.

Are these quirky enough?
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/lifestyle/h...ning-tips.html

mark

Old 10-03-2009, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 10/3/09 11:28, in article ,
"Ophelia" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
If you want to write about compost, it might amuse/entertain/inform
people to learn about ZooPoo!
http://www.ecosci.co.uk/zoopoo.php
Though it's only delivered in the west country, so may not be of use
to you.

When it comes to aphids, maybe you could advise them to hang a bird
feeder near infested plants, thus attracting the birds to both the
feeder and the plants. That came from someone on here and I'm sorry
I can't remember who it was.

I spotted this thread and thought 'Great!' Just what I need.

Oh well, I did at least learn about putting dripping under my roses

And as there are no babies under gooseberry bushes, I'm sure we've
all had a useful lesson in contraception, too. ;-))

It has been added to my file

Old 10-03-2009, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mark
writes

Please excuse this arrant plea for help but I feel certain that the
subscribers to this group is awash with such quirky tips - and I'd really
welcome some help.

Are these quirky enough?
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/lifestyle/h...uirky-gardenin
g-tips.html

mark

Definitely! The mind boggles as to what Martin, Rusty, Judith, Sacha et
al will make of this lot! I suspect this thread could rival The
Mousetrap.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 10-03-2009, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 9/3/09 21:15, in article , "Gopher"
wrote:

For my sins I have been landed with the production of monthly topical
tips for our local gardening club. No, I didn't put my hand up and
volunteer but rather was asked by the 'steemed chairperson of the club
if I would "kindly consider" producing a relevant monthly tip UFN to
assist the members. Senior Management, in the shape of SWMBO, present at
the time, indicated her acquiescence on my behalf. So the matter was
resolved and it has been agreed that I will thrill the membership with a
scintillating series of monthly tips undoubtedly resulting in greater
fruit & 'veg production of superior flavour at less cost and lesser
effort, dazzling blooms, E-type compost, etc. etc. all in a disease and
pest free wildlife friendly gardening environment.

I know I can plagiarise from a myriad of websites and books all of which
are equally available to the membership, and I will probably resort on
occasion to this (with due acknowledgements, of course) however what I
believe may be of interest would be the unusual hints and tips which
have been passed down from previous generations - such as the planting
of a garlic clove under a rosebush to ward off aphid invasion.

Please excuse this arrant plea for help but I feel certain that the
subscribers to this group is awash with such quirky tips - and I'd
really welcome some help.

Many thanks!

If you want to write about compost, it might amuse/entertain/inform people
to learn about ZooPoo!
http://www.ecosci.co.uk/zoopoo.php
Though it's only delivered in the west country, so may not be of use to you.

When it comes to aphids, maybe you could advise them to hang a bird feeder
near infested plants, thus attracting the birds to both the feeder and the
plants. That came from someone on here and I'm sorry I can't remember who
it was.

Thank you Sacha. Living in Dorset I think my public will welcome such
information :-)) The bird feeder tip makes eminent sense.

--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 10-03-2009, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/3/09 12:28, in article , "Gopher"
wrote:

In message , mark
writes

Please excuse this arrant plea for help but I feel certain that the
subscribers to this group is awash with such quirky tips - and I'd really
welcome some help.

Are these quirky enough?
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/lifestyle/h...uirky-gardenin
g-tips.html

mark

Definitely! The mind boggles as to what Martin, Rusty, Judith, Sacha et
al will make of this lot! I suspect this thread could rival The
Mousetrap.

I bet you didn't get past the first one, did you? ;-)) All true,
apparently, however. I'd heard most of them before, though it's usually old
tights, not old socks. And banana skins have long been known as a good
source of potassium. But nobody messes with vodka! ;-)

Old 10-03-2009, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/3/09 12:39, in article , "Gopher"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

snip
Please excuse this arrant plea for help but I feel certain that the
subscribers to this group is awash with such quirky tips - and I'd
really welcome some help.

Many thanks!

If you want to write about compost, it might amuse/entertain/inform people
to learn about ZooPoo! http://www.ecosci.co.uk/zoopoo.php
Though it's only delivered in the west country, so may not be of use to you.

When it comes to aphids, maybe you could advise them to hang a bird feeder
near infested plants, thus attracting the birds to both the feeder and the
plants. That came from someone on here and I'm sorry I can't remember who
it was.

Thank you Sacha. Living in Dorset I think my public will welcome such
information :-)) The bird feeder tip makes eminent sense.

Why, you're practically a local! ;-)) The ZooPoo comes from Paignton Zoo
and while it's a bit more expensive than some other composts, we do find
it's hugely popular.
You can have Ray's lawn seed trick, too. He mixes compost and lawn seed up
in a wheelbarrow, lightly waters the mix and returns it to the compost bag,
gently folding over the top. As soon as it's germinated, he scatters it on
the grass, covers it with horticultural fleece and within a few days, it's
greening nicely. This gets the seed off to a quick start and makes it less
attractive to birds.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 10/3/09 12:39, in article , "Gopher"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

snip
[...]

Well done Ray! That's exactly the type of practical tip that should
interest the members. Useful, easily managed, helpful and obviously
uninfluenced by witchcraft!

I have contacted Ecosci to ask for their prices - having noted that they
are out of stock at present. A few bad curries in the Rhino enclosure at
Paignton seem appropriate:-))

Thank you Sacha.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 10-03-2009, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 23:47:49 +0100, Martin wrote:

I look for these things. If getting rid of aphids was so easy every
garden wood
be wall to garlic and aphids wouldn't exist in France.

Every garden would too.

What about Southernwood?
Would it?

A friend gave me a sprig of the plant once, and I found the scent of it
fascinating. The French apparently use it to ward off moths from their
clothes.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 10-03-2009, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
moghouse writes
On Mar 9, 10:00*pm, "Muddymike" wrote:
"Gopher" wrote in message
For my sins I have been landed with the production of monthly topical tips
for our local gardening club. - such as the planting of a garlic clove
under a rosebush to ward off aphid invasion.

Wow!!!! I didn't know that.

I always told the trick was to stroke the roots with the feather of a
virgin seagull captured at midnight of the full moon when the wind
was in the easterly quarter. Of course I could have misheard.

There is no such bird as a seagull. There are black-headed gulls,
herring gulls, common gulls....
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 10-03-2009, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/3/09 16:42, in article , "Ophelia"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 10/3/09 16:12, in article
,
"Ophelia" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 10/3/09 15:08, in article
,
"Gopher" wrote:
snip

I have contacted Ecosci to ask for their prices - having noted that
they are out of stock at present. A few bad curries in the Rhino
enclosure at Paignton seem appropriate:-))

Thank you Sacha.

Another one which might interest anyone trying to get Romneyas to
grow from seed is that they have to be exposed to smoke first.
IIRC, Ray gets some pine needles puts them in an old tin and sets
fire to them. The Romneya seeds are suspended over them in an old
colander. It's all v. hi-tec round here, as you see!

Heh! These are the sort of tips I like to see
(not that I know what Romneyas are)

http://hps-norfolkandsuffolk.org.uk/.../romneya-coult
eri-sept-2007.jpg

Oh pretty! Those leaves look like tissue paper

They do and they're a gorgeous plant. You don't seem to see them around
much now and I can only assume it's because they're tricky to propagate -
not impossible,mind you - and because they must have full sun and dry feet.
And they're not more than half hardy, which puts a lot of people off plants
in case they lose them and have to replace them. I love them because a
childhood garden had a mass of them so I have fond memories.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTERMANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOMEBUSINESS... Tonya Thompson United Kingdom 0 28-04-2009 01:30 PM
Christmas tips Cliff United Kingdom 9 30-11-2003 11:43 AM
[IBC] Care Tips for your Bonsai #3 - spring (LONG!) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
burned leaf tips on a Catt Terry Orchids 4 05-02-2003 11:01 PM
Tips for growing Passion Flower or Asclepias Raegan Simone Gardening 5 01-02-2003 04:34 AM