Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tips

For my sins I have been landed with the production of monthly topical
tips for our local gardening club. No, I didn't put my hand up and
volunteer but rather was asked by the 'steemed chairperson of the club
if I would "kindly consider" producing a relevant monthly tip UFN to
assist the members. Senior Management, in the shape of SWMBO, present at
the time, indicated her acquiescence on my behalf. So the matter was
resolved and it has been agreed that I will thrill the membership with a
scintillating series of monthly tips undoubtedly resulting in greater
fruit & 'veg production of superior flavour at less cost and lesser
effort, dazzling blooms, E-type compost, etc. etc. all in a disease and
pest free wildlife friendly gardening environment.

I know I can plagiarise from a myriad of websites and books all of which
are equally available to the membership, and I will probably resort on
occasion to this (with due acknowledgements, of course) however what I
believe may be of interest would be the unusual hints and tips which
have been passed down from previous generations - such as the planting
of a garlic clove under a rosebush to ward off aphid invasion.

Please excuse this arrant plea for help but I feel certain that the
subscribers to this group is awash with such quirky tips - and I'd
really welcome some help.

Many thanks!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gopher" wrote in message
[...]

I sit here with my "Old wives lore of the Garden" at your beck and call!
non of these tips are mine, purely from the book!

Old 09-03-2009, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gopher" wrote in message
For my sins I have been landed with the production of monthly topical tips
for our local gardening club. - such as the planting of a garlic clove
under a rosebush to ward off aphid invasion.

Wow!!!! I didn't know that.

Mike

Old 09-03-2009, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 22:00:44 -0000, "Muddymike"

wrote:

"Gopher" wrote in message
For my sins I have been landed with the production of monthly topical
tips
for our local gardening club. - such as the planting of a garlic clove
under a rosebush to ward off aphid invasion.

Wow!!!! I didn't know that.

How many professionally gardened rose gardens have a garlic growing under
the
rose bushes? Zero. Wonder why?
--

Martin

Well, its in my book! and I posted it a few weeks ago. How do you know its
zero? Have you dug under each one? )

Old 09-03-2009, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sheila
writes

.. .

wrote:

"Gopher" wrote in message
For my sins I have been landed with the production of monthly topical
tips
for our local gardening club. - such as the planting of a garlic clove
under a rosebush to ward off aphid invasion.

Wow!!!! I didn't know that.

How many professionally gardened rose gardens have a garlic growing under
the
rose bushes? Zero. Wonder why?
--

Martin

Well, its in my book! and I posted it a few weeks ago. How do you know its
zero? Have you dug under each one? )

Come on Martin .... I realise the analytical Dutch must have a great
effect on your thought processes but it appears that Sheila has given
the perfect reply. Any international/EU input known only to the
Hollanders (and you) that you dare pass on? It would be most welcome
:-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 09-03-2009, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sheila
writes

"Gopher" wrote in message
For my sins I have been landed with the production of monthly topical tips
for our local gardening club.

Snip

Please excuse this arrant plea for help but I feel certain that the
subscribers to this group is awash with such quirky tips - and I'd really
welcome some help.

Many thanks!

I sit here with my "Old wives lore of the Garden" at your beck and call!
non of these tips are mine, purely from the book!

And a wondrous tome it must be! I know that the garlic/rosebush scenario
came from there and was only recently posted. So - how to I gain access
to its secrets? I see it's available from Amazon .... used copies at the
rip off price of 1p! But before I make this significant investment, may
I ask how it's laid out. By month, by plant type, by problem or is it
randomly based? And how do I go about becking and calling? It sounds
intriguing;-))

--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 23:47:49 +0100, Martin wrote:

I look for these things. If getting rid of aphids was so easy every garden
wood
be wall to garlic and aphids wouldn't exist in France.

You mean it doesn't work???

Damn I hate using that sump oil.

Mike

Old 09-03-2009, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 9, 10:00*pm, "Muddymike" wrote:
"Gopher" wrote in message
For my sins I have been landed with the production of monthly topical tips
for our local gardening club. - such as the planting of a garlic clove
under a rosebush to ward off aphid invasion.

Wow!!!! I didn't know that.

I always told the trick was to stroke the roots with the feather of a
virgin seagull captured at midnight of the full moon when the wind
was in the easterly quarter. Of course I could have misheard.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
moghouse writes
"Gopher" wrote in message
For my sins I have been landed with the production of monthly topical tips
for our local gardening club. - such as the planting of a garlic clove
under a rosebush to ward off aphid invasion.

Wow!!!! I didn't know that.

I always told the trick was to stroke the roots with the feather of a
virgin seagull captured at midnight of the full moon when the wind
was in the easterly quarter. Of course I could have misheard.

I'm going to have to go and lie down for some time. This is too
much!.... The easterly quarter.......... wow!

--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 10-03-2009, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

And a wondrous tome it must be! I know that the garlic/rosebush scenario
came from there and was only recently posted. So - how to I gain access to
its secrets? I see it's available from Amazon .... used copies at the rip
off price of 1p! But before I make this significant investment, may I ask
how it's laid out. By month, by plant type, by problem or is it randomly
based? And how do I go about becking and calling? It sounds intriguing;-))

--
Gopher .... I know my place!

If you email me privately, (omitting the obvious) I will tell you how....

Old 10-03-2009, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What and dig up all those dead donkeys?
There is no sign of babies under gooseberry bushes either.

I look for these things. If getting rid of aphids was so easy every garden
wood
be wall to garlic and aphids wouldn't exist in France.
--

Martin

Aha, you said babies, hold on a minute..........(rushes off for book)

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Puff puff puff, ok, here we are, this is in the section of "planting
dripping under roses.......(only in towns, or Mr Fox will dig up your
rose...... "We once read of a family in France who were said to bury the
bodies of unwanted babies of maidens of the villagery under their vines,
presumably on the same principle, but let it not be said that we actually
advocate this......"

Old 10-03-2009, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/3/09 21:15, in article , "Gopher"
wrote:

[...]

If you want to write about compost, it might amuse/entertain/inform people
to learn about ZooPoo!
http://www.ecosci.co.uk/zoopoo.php
Though it's only delivered in the west country, so may not be of use to you.

When it comes to aphids, maybe you could advise them to hang a bird feeder
near infested plants, thus attracting the birds to both the feeder and the
plants. That came from someone on here and I'm sorry I can't remember who
it was.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-03-2009, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 9, 11:01*pm, Martin wrote:

I always told the trick was to stroke the roots with the feather of a
virgin seagull *captured at midnight of the full moon when the wind
was in the easterly quarter. Of course I could have misheard.

A virgin Atlantic seagull?

Now you're being silly!
Old 10-03-2009, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sheila wrote:
What and dig up all those dead donkeys?
There is no sign of babies under gooseberry bushes either.

I look for these things. If getting rid of aphids was so easy every
garden wood
be wall to garlic and aphids wouldn't exist in France.
--

Martin

Aha, you said babies, hold on a minute..........(rushes off for book)

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Puff puff puff, ok, here we are, this is in the section of "planting
dripping under roses.

Pork or beef?

Old 10-03-2009, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
If you want to write about compost, it might amuse/entertain/inform
people to learn about ZooPoo! http://www.ecosci.co.uk/zoopoo.php
Though it's only delivered in the west country, so may not be of use
to you.

When it comes to aphids, maybe you could advise them to hang a bird
feeder near infested plants, thus attracting the birds to both the
feeder and the plants. That came from someone on here and I'm sorry
I can't remember who it was.

I spotted this thread and thought 'Great!' Just what I need.

Oh well, I did at least learn about putting dripping under my roses

5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTERMANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOMEBUSINESS... Tonya Thompson United Kingdom 0 28-04-2009 01:30 PM
Christmas tips Cliff United Kingdom 9 30-11-2003 11:43 AM
[IBC] Care Tips for your Bonsai #3 - spring (LONG!) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
burned leaf tips on a Catt Terry Orchids 4 05-02-2003 11:01 PM
Tips for growing Passion Flower or Asclepias Raegan Simone Gardening 5 01-02-2003 04:34 AM