Old 19-03-2009, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blackpool Tomatoes?

On 19/3/09 10:27, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:35:10 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 19/3/09 09:25, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 23:03:25 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 18/3/09 18:09, in article
, "Derek
Turner" wrote:

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:09:31 +0000, echinosum wrote:

In the UK,
Jersey (and Guernsey) in the Channel Islands grow tomatoes, and market
them as "Jersey Tomatoes". They used to grow a lot more, but they still
grow a few. A "Jersey Tomato" is certainly a brand, but whether there is
a specific variety they use, or whether a Jersey Tomato is just any
tomato from Jersey, I have been unable to discover.

See upthread. Jersey Sunrise is the variety. Oh, and neither Guernsey or
Jersey are 'in the UK'.

You tell 'em! ;-)) Unfortunately, the postal bods think they are!

Doesn't that make postage more affordable?

Shouldn't make a difference - we're part of the British Isles. Many
organisations including the Royal Mail, lump the islands under UK simply
because it's easier, or possibly because they're just ignorant of the
differences. What it does mean is that VAT should be removed from things
sent to the Channel Islands and Isle of Man.

Sacha I sent you an e-mail asking for a source of Jersey Sunrise seeds.

Got it and answered! Later in the year I can let you have some but try the
HDRA for now.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-03-2009, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/3/09 15:50, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:28:13 +0000, Sacha wrote:

snip

Sacha I sent you an e-mail asking for a source of Jersey Sunrise seeds.

Got it and answered! Later in the year I can let you have some but try the
HDRA for now.

The only Sunrise Tomatoes I found are these
http://www.organiccatalogue.com/cata...roducts_id=345

They aren't Jersey Sunrise or are they?

No! I sent them some of our Jersey Sunrise a couple of years ago, so they
should have some but could still be either trialling them or bulking them
up, I suppose. You could ask via email and see if you get a better result.

Old 19-03-2009, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Shouldn't make a difference - we're part of the British Isles. Many
organisations including the Royal Mail, lump the islands under UK simply
because it's easier, or possibly because they're just ignorant of the
differences. What it does mean is that VAT should be removed from things
sent to the Channel Islands and Isle of Man.

I gnash my teeth every night when the Shipping Foretaste refers to
"Shetland Isles".

--
Rusty