Old 20-03-2009, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Felling trees, the alternative way!

The message
from "Pete Stockdale" contains these words:
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...

We are also arranging for the drains people to revisit with a route
cutting
thingy to clear the obstructed drain.

Thousand pound bomb?

NoNo !
I think they use some sort of auger.

Route cutting?
ŻŻŻŻŻ
Off group someone has suggested copper nails and I have refined his
idea to
Copper Sulphate.
Checking on Ebay

Copper nails, yes. Using copper sulphate is not refining the method, but
shafting it.

-Tree-Stump-Weedkiller-

sulphuric acid...

--
Rusty
Old 20-03-2009, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...

Route cutting?
ŻŻŻŻŻ
Off group someone has suggested copper nails and I have refined his
idea to
Copper Sulphate.
Checking on Ebay

Copper nails, yes. Using copper sulphate is not refining the method, but
shafting it.

-Tree-Stump-Weedkiller-

sulphuric acid...

Thanks for that.
Another "route" to go down has been suggested as household bleach.
Regards
Pete

Old 21-03-2009, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Pete Stockdale
writes

Anybody any better ideas to guarantee root death? Chemical rather than
digging please !

I made some enquiries here some weeks ago about Ammonium Sulphamate,
which I used very successfully some years ago to kill stumps. This was
the ingredient of such products as Deep Root, Root Out and Amcide, but I
is now only permitted to be used as a compost accelerator.

I have managed to acquire some of this in crystal form from an
advertiser on eBay. Naturally I would not dream of applying this product
to the stumps of sycamore, elder and plum which are the result of my
tidying-up operations with a chain saw.

That would be illegal, wouldn't it?

I do have a very good compost heap.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey

Old 21-03-2009, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Roy Bailey contains these words:
In article , Pete Stockdale
writes

Anybody any better ideas to guarantee root death? Chemical rather than
digging please !

I made some enquiries here some weeks ago about Ammonium Sulphamate,
which I used very successfully some years ago to kill stumps. This was
the ingredient of such products as Deep Root, Root Out and Amcide, but I
is now only permitted to be used as a compost accelerator.

I have managed to acquire some of this in crystal form from an
advertiser on eBay. Naturally I would not dream of applying this product
to the stumps of sycamore, elder and plum which are the result of my
tidying-up operations with a chain saw.

Oh, we mustn't upset our servants, the EUrocraps, must we?

That would be illegal, wouldn't it?

Yes, and naughty.

And I mustn't boil-down rhubarb leaves for spraying aphids, must I?

I do have a very good compost heap.

So do I, and it likes boiled rhubarb leaves...

--
Rusty
Old 22-03-2009, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Now you make me feel guilty; in my short gardening career I have
removed 3 trees, all small but removed with huge difficulty by exactly
the method you describe. It takes ages and is much harder than you
expect; the final parts involve all manner of woodworking and pruning
tools being used to try to chop through roots accompanied by frantic
rocking to try to lever the trunk out and snap the final roots.
What is the proper way to do it? I guess, the short cut is to cut the
trunk through near ground level and maybe pay someone to grind the
stump out?

Des

Check out these photos

Line of beech stumps (very hard wood), 8 inch dia
http://www.gb-online.co.uk/services/...eal3-thumb.jpg

Stumps being ground out
http://www.gb-online.co.uk/services/...eremoveal2.jpg

Reseeded grass area
http://www.gb-online.co.uk/services/...eal4-thumb.jpg

Stump grinder about £70 per day plus labour. It takes longer to get
the grinder onto trailer etc etc than do the job.

Felling Trees now 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 22 01-03-2010 09:31 AM
I am looking for Tree Felling Insurance ?? United Kingdom 2 19-09-2003 06:22 PM
[IBC] Fall is felling Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 12-09-2003 02:27 AM
[IBC] Fall is felling Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 12-09-2003 02:23 AM
Tree Felling Siggy United Kingdom 17 22-08-2003 06:17 AM