Old 19-03-2009, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tarpaulin or pond liner as waterproof

Hi all
I am making a box (5' x 20" x 9½")for tomato plants, it will be
filled with gravel with the tom. pots sitting on top. I will be putting
water into the stones to allow the tom. roots to reach down and so
water themselves. This box will be made of OSB (Sterling board)and will
have some form of liner between it and the wet stones was thinking of
using a pond liner to line the box but one of the right size will be in
the £18~19 range can I just use tarpaulin (in the £5 region for the size
required) to line this box? Or should I just bite the bullet and pay for
a pond liner?
Old 19-03-2009, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from soup contains these words:

Hi all
I am making a box (5' x 20" x 9½")for tomato plants, it will be
filled with gravel with the tom. pots sitting on top. I will be putting
water into the stones to allow the tom. roots to reach down and so
water themselves. This box will be made of OSB (Sterling board)and will
have some form of liner between it and the wet stones was thinking of
using a pond liner to line the box but one of the right size will be in
the £18~19 range can I just use tarpaulin (in the £5 region for the size
required) to line this box? Or should I just bite the bullet and pay for
a pond liner?

Go to a builder and buy some 'membrane' - thick black polythene.

OK, it'll have creases in it, but, who will see? Will the worms complain?

--
Rusty
Old 19-03-2009, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Tim is offline

--
http://www.timdenning.myby.co.uk/
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

1200gauge 300micron polythene is what Rusty Hinge is talking about
http://www.jastimber.co.uk/products/...m-product.html

It's used as the damp proof membrane under conc floors (DPM)

If you know a local builder or building site you might get an off cut for
nothing.

HTH

Tim

Old 19-03-2009, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim" no wrote in message
. ..
--
[...]

or this which is cheaper:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50464/...1000ga-3m-x-4m

Old 23-03-2009, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

soup wrote:
Hi all
I am making a box (5' x 20" x 9½")for tomato plants, it will be
filled with gravel with the tom. pots sitting on top. I will be putting
water into the stones to allow the tom. roots to reach down and so
water themselves. This box will be made of OSB (Sterling board)and will
have some form of liner between it and the wet stones was thinking of
using a pond liner to line the box but one of the right size will be in
the £18~19 range can I just use tarpaulin (in the £5 region for the size
required) to line this box? Or should I just bite the bullet and pay for
a pond liner?

Thanks all shall investigate the 'waterproof membrane' route.