Old 26-04-2003, 08:58 PM
Rich

Default Waterproof enclosures [250mm x 250mm x 150 or 200mm]

Hi. I'm seeking not to spend a lot of money on a waterproof outdoor
encosure. I'm wanting to put some electronic components in it. Of course
it will have a lid. Needs to be sturdy plastic, not like Tupperware.
:c) It's got to hold components rigidly.

Enclosure needs to be about 250mm x 250mm x 150 or 200mm.

Anyone have any idea of what might be suitable and where I might be able
to find such an item?

TIA. Rich.

P.S. I've looked at some electrical enclosures/boxes. The item might not
specifically be an electrical item, maybe made for some other purpose.

Old 26-04-2003, 09:34 PM
Mike

In article , Rich
writes
Hi. I'm seeking not to spend a lot of money on a waterproof outdoor
encosure. I'm wanting to put some electronic components in it. Of course
it will have a lid. Needs to be sturdy plastic, not like Tupperware.
:c) It's got to hold components rigidly.

Enclosure needs to be about 250mm x 250mm x 150 or 200mm.

Anyone have any idea of what might be suitable and where I might be able
to find such an item?

TIA. Rich.

P.S. I've looked at some electrical enclosures/boxes. The item might not
specifically be an electrical item, maybe made for some other purpose.

R.S.Components, Newey and Eyre, or Marine Electrical Suppliers. I have
used all of these suppliers in the past. Try R.S. first :-))

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 26-04-2003, 09:34 PM
Rich

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Rich
writes
Hi. I'm seeking not to spend a lot of money on a waterproof outdoor
encosure. I'm wanting to put some electronic components in it. Of

course
it will have a lid. Needs to be sturdy plastic, not like Tupperware.
:c) It's got to hold components rigidly.

Enclosure needs to be about 250mm x 250mm x 150 or 200mm.

Anyone have any idea of what might be suitable and where I might be

able
to find such an item?

TIA. Rich.

P.S. I've looked at some electrical enclosures/boxes. The item might

not
specifically be an electrical item, maybe made for some other

purpose.

R.S.Components, Newey and Eyre, or Marine Electrical Suppliers. I have
used all of these suppliers in the past. Try R.S. first :-))

Looked ar RS and might have no option to buy that stuff. Always trying
for cheaper alteranives. :c). Also, generally a bit hard to get the
depth required. Problemmatical to get cheap enclosure of say 200mm
depth, without costing the earth.

Old 26-04-2003, 09:57 PM
Mike

In article , Rich
writes

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Rich
writes
[...]

Rich long since chucked all of my catalogues out, but suggest you go
into your Electrical Wholesalers such as Neweys, City Electric and the
such and ask to look through their catalogues.

Does it have to be 'posh', functional', cheap' or could you use a home
made wooden box covered in waterproof gunge such as Aqua Seal from B &
Q? IS it for something at home which 'will do'?

All the stuff I was doing was very up market so they could afford it
:-)) Like the Aga Khan and the like ;-(

Old 26-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Rich" contains these words:

Hi. I'm seeking not to spend a lot of money on a waterproof outdoor
encosure. I'm wanting to put some electronic components in it. Of course
it will have a lid. Needs to be sturdy plastic, not like Tupperware.
:c) It's got to hold components rigidly.

Enclosure needs to be about 250mm x 250mm x 150 or 200mm.

Much bigger than you need, but will last a very long time and be
completely weatherproof and accessible, is one of those mini plastic
tool-sheds from B and Q. We used one years ago to house our water
system's pump and meter; still as good as new.

Janet.

Old 26-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Rich

"Mike" wrote in message

R.S.Components, Newey and Eyre, or Marine Electrical Suppliers. I

have
used all of these suppliers in the past. Try R.S. first :-))

Looked ar RS and might have no option to buy that stuff. Always

trying
for cheaper alteranives. :c). Also, generally a bit hard to get the
depth required. Problemmatical to get cheap enclosure of say 200mm
depth, without costing the earth.

Rich long since chucked all of my catalogues out, but suggest you go
into your Electrical Wholesalers such as Neweys, City Electric and the
such and ask to look through their catalogues.

Does it have to be 'posh', functional', cheap' or could you use a home
made wooden box covered in waterproof gunge such as Aqua Seal from B &
Q? IS it for something at home which 'will do'?

It's for a remote antenna tuning unit. Variable capacitor + roller
coaster.

Old 27-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Rich

"Mike" wrote in message

Rich long since chucked all of my catalogues out, but suggest you go
into your Electrical Wholesalers such as Neweys, City Electric and the
such and ask to look through their catalogues.

Rog.

Also one wonders about:

Cool box
motorbike carry box
regular storage box with lid

Staples has lots of storage boxes, I wonder if they might have
something.

Old 27-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Simon Avery

"Rich" wrote:

Hello Rich

R Hi. I'm seeking not to spend a lot of money on a waterproof
R outdoor encosure. I'm wanting to put some electronic
R components in it. Of course it will have a lid. Needs to be
R sturdy plastic, not like Tupperware. :c) It's got to hold
R components rigidly.

Why not make a metal chassis for mount your components that's entirely
seperate from the enclosure? If you can do that then one of the
plastic storage boxes from the sheds ought to give you pretty good
waterproofing.

Old 27-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Rich

"Simon Avery" wrote in message
"Rich" wrote:

Hello Rich

R Hi. I'm seeking not to spend a lot of money on a waterproof
R outdoor encosure. I'm wanting to put some electronic
R components in it. Of course it will have a lid. Needs to be
R sturdy plastic, not like Tupperware. :c) It's got to hold
R components rigidly.

Why not make a metal chassis for mount your components that's entirely
seperate from the enclosure? If you can do that then one of the
plastic storage boxes from the sheds ought to give you pretty good
waterproofing.

That might be the way to go. Build my atu in a sort of frame, and place
it on the lid of a cheap plastic storage box or something and just cover
the unit.

Old 27-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 20:46:15 +0100, "Rich" wrote:

Hi. I'm seeking not to spend a lot of money on a waterproof outdoor
encosure. I'm wanting to put some electronic components in it. Of course
it will have a lid. Needs to be sturdy plastic, not like Tupperware.
:c) It's got to hold components rigidly.

Enclosure needs to be about 250mm x 250mm x 150 or 200mm.

Anyone have any idea of what might be suitable and where I might be able
to find such an item?

TIA. Rich.

P.S. I've looked at some electrical enclosures/boxes. The item might not
specifically be an electrical item, maybe made for some other purpose.

Maplin? http://www.maplin.co.uk

Alternatively, garden centres selling outdoor lighting or electrics
for water features might do waterproof junction boxes or whatever.

--
Chris

Tarpaulin or pond liner as waterproof soup[_2_] United Kingdom 4 23-03-2009 12:22 PM
composting containers and enclosures JakeD Permaculture 11 09-10-2007 04:59 AM
Wind up solar powered waterproof radio Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 9 08-10-2004 06:59 PM
waterproof pot? Tara United Kingdom 9 02-05-2004 04:14 PM
AH SUPPLY Enclosures TY Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 20-04-2003 06:12 AM