Old 22-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Registered User

Red face Newbie - after advise

Hi I'm a newbie to both this forum and gardening in general.
Having just brought my first house in Hertfortshire I am at a loss at what to do with my first garden!

With the garden being on an upward hill I have some lawn but mostly raised decking and no plants (yet!) I would love advice on plants that are LOW maintenance.

Oh also we need to gain some privacy on either side as the fences are very low - so tall plants/climbers would be good??
Old 23-03-2009, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Newbie - after advise

"Stonebear" wrote...

Hi I'm a newbie to both this forum and gardening in general.
Having just brought my first house in Hertfortshire I am at a loss at
what to do with my first garden!

With the garden being on an upward hill I have some lawn but mostly
raised decking and no plants (yet!) I would love advice on plants that
are LOW maintenance.

Oh also we need to gain some privacy on either side as the fences are
very low - so tall plants/climbers would be good??

Welcome to this Newsgroup.
You need to think about privace but also the sun. Tall plants will also take
the sun from your garden, they also need time to grow as anything fast will
not be low maintenance. Presumably you need evergreens or you will be open
to view during the winter.
So, slow growing evergreen shrubs or an evergreen hedge (which will need
cutting) of Yew or Privet.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-03-2009, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stonebear" wrote in message

Hi I'm a newbie to both this forum and gardening in general.
Having just brought my first house in Hertfortshire I am at a loss at
what to do with my first garden!

With the garden being on an upward hill I have some lawn but mostly
raised decking and no plants (yet!) I would love advice on plants that
are LOW maintenance.

Oh also we need to gain some privacy on either side as the fences are
very low - so tall plants/climbers would be good??

--
Stonebear

Welcome to this newsgroup and to gardening, and congratulations on getting
your first house.

It would be of some help to know what sort of 'look' you want for the garden
and what sort of soil you have. I am on a steep site in SE London on clay
and I find many plants *relatively* low maintenance. Sorry, but you can't
avoid maintenance altogether if you want planting.

For quick partial privacy screening, you could build up the fence height
with trellis. This would give you a great deal of (almost instant) privacy
without stopping too much light, then you could grow/train clematis, roses
or jasmine to cover and green up the fence. For a fairly quick evergreen
climber you could try Trachelospermum jasminoides (I believe it's commonly
referred to as 'star jasmine').

For low level planting, you could try cotoneaster dammerii, lamium, ajuga,
heucheras,
tiarellas, francoa.
For shrubs, try Viburnum tinus, hebes, Hypericum patulum 'Hidcote',
Euonymous 'Silver Queen' (insignificant flowers, but good green/white
variegated foliage); many weigelas and deutzias are attractive but have a
relatively short flowering period. Hardy fuchsias are good for colour in
both sun and partial shade; a reliable easily-obtained form is Fuchsia 'Mrs.
Popple'.
A tree might be good for added height and screening, but without knowing the
size of your garden, I'm going to fight shy of making any suggestions.
This is, of course, just a short list. Do come back and give us all some
more information, and I'm sure the list will grow.

Spider

Solid Clay.Veg patch. Please advise a newbie. tina United Kingdom 21 11-01-2007 09:35 AM
crown rot -- please advise! Tanya Orchids 8 04-03-2003 05:39 PM
Filter/pump advise Bob H Ponds 4 15-02-2003 12:39 AM
Old aluminium roof under pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 4 29-01-2003 08:03 PM
Old aluminium roof on top of pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 2 28-01-2003 06:00 PM