Old 25-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Registered User

Default conservatory furniture

So how do they make it? Well, once the palm is harvested it is then boiled which removes the sap from the bark. This removal of the sap allows the material to have the flexibility properties which makes it easy to mould into various shapes. Once this process is completed the material is then split into thin strips. These strips are then intertwined to make the conservatory furniture. Generally the frames of the furniture are made from much larger canes. This whole process is very time consuming and costly which is why quality cane furniture isn’t cheap. However, you are buying furniture that is very easy to clean, will last for years and years, will need very little attention to keep it preserved, with that in mind the cost isn’t that expensive.
Old 25-03-2009, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 25, 3:43*pm, carly09

Thanks for the information, I can now make my own!

Old 23-03-2011, 05:08 AM
Registered User

Hi carly09,
Thanks for providing the information.I appreciate your efforts. I also agree with you on the fact that the cane furniture is expensive but definitely is worth every penny. I have this furniture set for over a decade now and till date I have not put any money on it for the maintainence. It is such a nice set, still looks as if I bought it a just a few days back.
Old 23-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Registered User

Location: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndavis709 View Post
Hi carly09,
Thanks for providing the information.I appreciate your efforts. I also agree with you on the fact that the cane furniture is expensive but definitely is worth every penny. I have this furniture set for over a decade now and till date I have not put any money on it for the maintainence. It is such a nice set, still looks as if I bought it a just a few days back.
Good quality cane furniture does last a lifetime and is well worth the investment. In addition to real cane, there is now a huge number of different styles of "synthetic" rattan available. Sometimes called "all weather wicker", this man-made material is great for use in the garden as well as the conservatory.