Old 26-03-2009, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tibouchina

Anyone know how to make on of these flower? We've tried everything,
small pot/ground/large pot left it out, put it in cold greenhouse, warm
greenhouse. Pruned it left it. The blasted thing refuses to flower for
the past 8 years!!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 26-03-2009, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:
Anyone know how to make on of these flower? We've tried everything,
small pot/ground/large pot left it out, put it in cold greenhouse, warm
greenhouse. Pruned it left it. The blasted thing refuses to flower for
the past 8 years!!

Janet

Show it a ready-to-use Roundup spray...

--
Jeff

Old 26-03-2009, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:
Anyone know how to make on of these flower? We've tried everything,
small pot/ground/large pot left it out, put it in cold greenhouse, warm
greenhouse. Pruned it left it. The blasted thing refuses to flower for
the past 8 years!!

If left out overwinter it isn't flowering because it is dead! I usually
take cuttings from new shoots in April and get flowers by October.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 27-03-2009, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Anyone know how to make on of these flower? We've tried everything,
small pot/ground/large pot left it out, put it in cold greenhouse, warm
greenhouse. Pruned it left it. The blasted thing refuses to flower for
the past 8 years!!

Janet

Janet if you are talking Tibouchina urvilleana and you have not allready
done so prune and repot in early spring but leave the pot inside untill
mid April to recover (you may be a bit late this year), once the weather
men stop threatening frost it can go outside for the summer in a warm
spot, lots of water in summer and not too much shade, bring the pot back
in during September it should be just starting to flower. Things that
stop flowering are frost/cutting back at the wrong time, lack of
water/draughting, but other than that they are pretty bomb proof. Leaving
mine out in the ground I never get flowers although the plants come back
from the roots each year, so I always have some pot fulls for plunging
There are however many other Tibouchina species, heteromala, grandifolia,
paratropica, etc apart from paratropica all are less hardy than
urvilleana but all can be made to flower in the same way allthough I find
they are more sensitive to wet in winter and can die from botrytis if not
well ventilated
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 27-03-2009, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Paul Luton
writes

If left out overwinter it isn't flowering because it is dead! I usually
take cuttings from new shoots in April and get flowers by October.

Paul

No it's not dead, even i know the difference
It has plenty of leaves and growth just no flowers or flower buds.

Janet
Old 27-03-2009, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

Wish I could help, Janet but ours just flower and that's it. I had one
outside in Jersey but lost it in an unusually cold winter. Could it be
either temps or soil type with yours? Or maybe it's just a duff plant? ;-(

Well I've had it in a pot so i could give it extra care but whereas i
get leaves etc. there's never been a sniff of a flower bud!
Old 27-03-2009, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/3/09 18:43, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

Wish I could help, Janet but ours just flower and that's it. I had one
outside in Jersey but lost it in an unusually cold winter. Could it be
either temps or soil type with yours? Or maybe it's just a duff plant? ;-(

Well I've had it in a pot so i could give it extra care but whereas i
get leaves etc. there's never been a sniff of a flower bud!

The only thing I can wonder is "does it get too much feed?" Not a lot of
help, I'm afraid but just a thought.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Tibouchina Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 2 09-09-2009 02:33 PM
Tibouchina Flower-2189 Maroochy Garden Photos 0 23-03-2009 02:16 AM
Tibouchina Pam Moore United Kingdom 7 17-10-2004 09:41 AM
Tibouchina JennyC United Kingdom 6 07-11-2003 05:23 PM
tibouchina Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 0 10-07-2003 08:55 AM