Old 21-10-2003, 06:22 PM
JennyC

Default Tibouchina

My Tibouchina urvilleana is still flowering its socks of outside.

How much cold can it take before I have to bring it in for the winter
??

How hard do URGlers prune theirs ? ( I can't store it at it's present
size ! )

Jenny
(Rotterdam - the Netherlands)

Old 23-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Charlie Pridham

"JennyC" wrote in message
My Tibouchina urvilleana is still flowering its socks of outside.

How much cold can it take before I have to bring it in for the winter
??

How hard do URGlers prune theirs ? ( I can't store it at it's present
size ! )

Jenny
(Rotterdam - the Netherlands)

Mine object to anything below 0c and I cut it back to about 6" from the
ground each year and tend to replace the plants every 3 years or so. but if
you bring it in now it will flower well past new year :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 24-10-2003, 10:02 AM
JennyC

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message
My Tibouchina urvilleana is still flowering its socks of outside.

How much cold can it take before I have to bring it in for the

winter
How hard do URGlers prune theirs ? ( I can't store it at it's

present
size ! )
Jenny (Rotterdam - the Netherlands)

Mine object to anything below 0c and I cut it back to about 6" from

the
ground each year and tend to replace the plants every 3 years or so.

but if
you bring it in now it will flower well past new year :~)
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.

If I bring it in as it is I won't be able to get into the GH at all
"~))
It put on a huge spurt of growth this year !
Jenny

Old 02-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

Please could you help me to make mine grow like that? It doesn't
seem unhappy, except that it is very sensitive to not being watered
and shows no symptoms before permanent damage occurs to its leaves,
but I cannot get it to thrive. It seems happier in cooler, damper
conditions, which is a bit bizarre given its leaves. But, even
keeping it well watered, it grows terribly slowly.

My initial plant was in the conservatory border, and never thrived,
and my current one is a cutting in a pot (4' high but spindly). And,
yes, it has never had less than full light.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 03-11-2003, 02:32 PM
JennyC

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Please could you help me to make mine grow like that? It doesn't
seem unhappy, except that it is very sensitive to not being watered
and shows no symptoms before permanent damage occurs to its leaves,
but I cannot get it to thrive. It seems happier in cooler, damper
conditions, which is a bit bizarre given its leaves. But, even
keeping it well watered, it grows terribly slowly.

My initial plant was in the conservatory border, and never thrived,
and my current one is a cutting in a pot (4' high but spindly). And,
yes, it has never had less than full light.
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hi Nick,

Mine is about three years old. It's in a large plastic pot. In summer it stands
on the terrace with sun for most of the day.

I always cut it right down about now and bring it into the frost free GH.
However last year I had an unnoticed power failure in the GH and it was down to
freezing for about two or three days. Consequently I lost a far number of
tender plants. I thought that the Tibuchina had also given up the ghost but it
started to sprout in late spring.

I gave it some fertilizer (pellets and some bone meal if I recall) and it took
of and is now at least 5ft and bushy. It's still flowering ATM.

Maybe some serious feeding might encourage it - or a touch of frost !
Jenny

Old 07-11-2003, 05:23 PM
King

In message , JennyC
writes
Hi Nick,

Mine is about three years old. It's in a large plastic pot. In summer
it stands on the terrace with sun for most of the day.

I always cut it right down about now and bring it into the frost free
GH. However last year I had an unnoticed power failure in the GH and it
was down to freezing for about two or three days. Consequently I lost
a far number of tender plants. I thought that the Tibuchina had also
given up the ghost but it started to sprout in late spring.

I gave it some fertilizer (pellets and some bone meal if I recall) and
it took of and is now at least 5ft and bushy. It's still flowering ATM.

Maybe some serious feeding might encourage it - or a touch of frost !
Jenny

Hello all,

Bought my first Tibouchina early this year: about 2 feet tall.
Transplanted to 12-inch pot, which in turn went into a slightly larger
planter, filled up with more soil all around. It sat alongside a
(West-facing) wall and was watered almost every day; it flowered its
socks off all summer and into October.

Now, though: I have no greenhouse or conservatory so it is in the
(east-facing) porch. It looks happy enough, but it's a bit difficult
getting in and out the front door. I thought it shouldn't be pruned
until spring: is it ok to prune it now? Also, I understand it is quite
easy to get the cuttings to root, but for that to happen, when should it
be pruned? Can I play it safe by half-pruning it now (to make it easier
to get past it) and trying to root those cuttings, and finishing the job
in spring, or would that play havoc with its hormones?

Grateful for any info

Klara

(Gatwick Basin)

Tibouchina Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 2 09-09-2009 02:33 PM
tibouchina Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 7 27-03-2009 10:46 PM
Tibouchina Flower-2189 Maroochy Garden Photos 0 23-03-2009 02:16 AM
Tibouchina Pam Moore United Kingdom 7 17-10-2004 09:41 AM
tibouchina Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 0 10-07-2003 08:55 AM