Old 31-03-2009, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Val

How are things going in your garden, Val? Did you put anti slug measure
in?

Old 31-03-2009, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 31, 9:17*am, Aries wrote:
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:04:24 +0100, Ophelia wrote:
How are things going in your garden, Val? * Did you put anti slug measure
in?

Things are going to plan so far thanks Ophelia. I have early peas, red
onions sprouting, broad beans growing up, spinach not quite showing its head
yet but then I haven't looked this morning. *I have little tomato plants,
mixed lettuce leaves, leeks, various squash seeds etc in the greenhouse, and
garlic, sweet peas, and early potatoes in pots and containers outside. Later
in April I'll put cucumber seeds into pots, and runner bean seeds out into
the trench I have ready for them but cover over the ground with some old
glass frames I have first to warm up the soil. *I'll also grow some 'spares'
in pots to transplant out later if I need to replace any.

Soft fruit bushes are fully greened up now and look healthy, including the
cuttings I took from them last year, so looking forward to a bumper crop for
jams and summer fruit puddings

Fruit trees seem to be OK - must remember to tar their trunks tho - made a
mental note to do that soon.

I don't grow a lot of annual flowers. I mostly have flowering shrubs but I
do grow a few. *I mainly concentrate on the edible side of gardening g

I haven't done anything about slugs yet but thanks for the reminder

How are your gardening plans coming along ?

--
Be courteous to all, but intimate with few,
and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.

Val, wonderful post, I am so far behind mainly through the weather and
I am hoping things will catch up as it warms up. I started seeds
early last year and I found that later sowings did indeed catch up
very quickly. Do you have heating in your greenhouse Val?

Judith
Old 31-03-2009, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 31, 10:56*am, Aries wrote:
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 02:46:01 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
Do you have heating in your greenhouse Val?

No heating but I do have a large heated propagator which helps to get stuff
going. *I've learned not to start delicate plants off too early tho, and I
do have glass panels and garden fleece which helps to protect young plants
outside from late frosts.
--
A sharp tongue can cut your own throat.http://valwrite.livejournal.com/http...val.co.uk/val/

Is the propagator in the greenhouse or in the house?

Judith
Old 31-03-2009, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Aries wrote:
[...]

My word Val you have been busy, but then we have just the weather to
encourage us out of doors.
I am impressed with your progress.
I use my propagator a lot too and John has also been persuaded to grow
more soft fruit. His espalier apples have done extraordinarily well
considering he started them as a kind of experiment.
We have a couple of Conference Pear trees that need attention right now.
Missed you.

Bobbie
Old 31-03-2009, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Aries wrote:
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:02:35 +0100, Bobbie wrote:

Missed you.

Nice to be missed but this time of the year I don't have as much time for
newsgroups as I do during the Winter months. Once everything is growing
strongly and all the basic hard work is done then I'll probably be online
more - depending on the weather of course.

I am ahead of myself this year, having done the chores I would normally
still be doing middle of April.
Like you I am not overly fond of bedding but I do at least grow all my
own, and cuttings taken last year will replace the more straggly
plants. I am amazed to see that two unknown fuchsias that were
supposedly tender have survived the winter, as with so many other plants
that I didn't bother to put under cover. Could this be due to the Global
Warming I have heard so much about... ?
We did miss the worst of the winter weather here in this part of Dorset.

Take care its jolly hard work, that you are doing.

Bobbie