Old 01-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Registered User

Question ID Plants

Hi Forum I was wondering If anyone could please help me with Identifying 2 wild Flowers and A Shrub. I know the shrub grows pink trumpet like flowers in the summer. I have the plants in the links below.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...w/unknow22.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...ow/unknow2.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...w/unknow32.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...ow/unknow3.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...w/unknown1.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e.../unknown1a.jpg

Thank You in advance.
Phil
Old 01-04-2009, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID Plants

In message , PhilAnnesley
writes

Hi Forum I was wondering If anyone could please help me with Identifying
2 wild Flowers and A Shrub. I know the shrub grows pink trumpet like
flowers in the summer. I have the plants in the links below.
[image:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e.../unknow22.jpg]
[image:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...w/unknow2.jpg]
[image:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e.../unknow32.jpg]
[image:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...w/unknow3.jpg]
[image:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e.../unknown1.jpg]
[image:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...unknown1a.jpg]

The last looks as if it might be hairy bitter cress (Cardamine hirsuta).
(The easiest way to distinguish this from the less common wavy bitter
cress is to count stamens.)

Thank You in advance.
Phil

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 01-04-2009, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/4/09 13:43, in article ,
"PhilAnnesley" wrote:

Hi Forum I was wondering If anyone could please help me with Identifying
2 wild Flowers and A Shrub. I know the shrub grows pink trumpet like
flowers in the summer. I have the plants in the links below.
[image:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e.../unknow22.jpg]
[image:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...w/unknow2.jpg]
[image:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e.../unknow32.jpg]

Maybe Weigela florida variegata

[image:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...w/unknow3.jpg]
[image:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e.../unknown1.jpg]

Looks like bittercress which you really, really don't want!

[image:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...unknown1a.jpg]

Thank You in advance.
Phil

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-04-2009, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 17:56:11 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 1/4/09 13:43, in article ,
"PhilAnnesley" wrote:

Hi Forum I was wondering If anyone could please help me with Identifying
2 wild Flowers and A Shrub. I know the shrub grows pink trumpet like
flowers in the summer. I have the plants in the links below.
[image:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e.../unknow22.jpg]
[image:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...w/unknow2.jpg]
[image:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e.../unknow32.jpg]

Maybe Weigela florida variegata

[image:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...w/unknow3.jpg]
[image:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e.../unknown1.jpg]

Looks like bittercress which you really, really don't want!

Sacha's always asking here for plant IDs so I wouldn't trust her advice
too much if I were you.

HTH.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilAnnesley View Post
Hi Forum I was wondering If anyone could please help me with Identifying 2 wild Flowers and A Shrub. I know the shrub grows pink trumpet like flowers in the summer. I have the plants in the links below.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...w/unknow22.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...ow/unknow2.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...w/unknow32.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...ow/unknow3.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...w/unknown1.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e.../unknown1a.jpg

Thank You in advance.
Phil
The shrub appears to be Weigela florida 'Variegata'
The last two wildflower images seem to be closeups of bittercress - an almighty nuisance.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Looks like bittercress which you really, really don't want!

Sacha's always asking here for plant IDs so I wouldn't trust her advice
too much if I were you.

What a sad person you must be. Even people who have garden centres cannot
know every plant in the world and what better place to ask than here?

Old 02-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Registered User

Smile

Hi Guys And Girls, thanks for your help I have now been able to identify all the 3 plants now. I know the other one is a Forget Me Not which has spread. Just one wee quick question, what is wrong with the bittercrest, I have had a look online but cant seem to find a problem.

TYVM
Old 02-04-2009, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

The last looks as if it might be hairy bitter cress (Cardamine hirsuta).
(The easiest way to distinguish this from the less common wavy bitter
cress is to count stamens.)

Are you sure Stewart? Cardamine hirsuta has very different leaves to
the ones in the pic. They should be loosely pinnate with very rounded
leaflets in seedlings, later becoming narrower and somewhat rhomboid
as the plant matures. The op's plant shows simple, lanceolate leaves
with a tell-tale reddish tinge due to cold exposure. I won't beat
about the bush any further, it's not a 'wild flower' at all, it is the
common bedding 'Alyssum' - Lobularia maritima. It quite often pops up
as a 'volunteer' plant and occasionally naturalises in well drained
soils.

The shrub is Weigelia florida Variegata. Going back to Cardamine, the
first of the 'Cuckoo flowers' aka 'Lady's Smock' - Cardamine
pratensis, are in out on the river bank close to work. They are of a
very good mauve form as opposed to the more usual pale lilac or white
and every bit as attractive as any cultivated garden plant.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:05 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilAnnesley View Post
Hi Guys And Girls, thanks for your help I have now been able to identify all the 3 plants now. I know the other one is a Forget Me Not which has spread. Just one wee quick question, what is wrong with the bittercrest, I have had a look online but cant seem to find a problem.

TYVM
firstly, i am not an all knowing garden oracle, so am readying self for small minded whingers but bittercrest is almost indestructable and has an uncanny way of ending up in all your gardens, even fences, boundaries and roads do nae stop it. cheers and goodluck.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:09 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris anthem um View Post
firstly, i am not an all knowing garden oracle, so am readying self for small minded whingers but bittercrest is almost indestructable and has an uncanny way of ending up in all your gardens, even fences, boundaries and roads do nae stop it. cheers and goodluck.
Bittercress or snapweed.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2 Apr, 09:17, Sacha wrote:
On 2/4/09 00:23, in article ,

"PhilAnnesley" wrote:

Hi Guys And Girls, thanks for your help I have now been able to identify
all the 3 plants now. I know the other one is a Forget Me Not which has
spread. Just one wee quick question, what is wrong with the
bittercrest, I have had a look online but cant seem to find a problem.

TYVM

If it is bittercress, those pretty white flowers rapidly turn into seedpods
which 'ping' apart at the slightest touch, scattering the seeds all over the
place. *Before you know it, you have the National Collection!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

If you can get your bittercress to grow fast and lush then it is a
spicy addition to salads.
David Hill
Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
DaveP writes
The last looks as if it might be hairy bitter cress (Cardamine hirsuta).
(The easiest way to distinguish this from the less common wavy bitter
cress is to count stamens.)

Are you sure Stewart? Cardamine hirsuta has very different leaves to
the ones in the pic. They should be loosely pinnate with very rounded
leaflets in seedlings, later becoming narrower and somewhat rhomboid as
the plant matures. The op's plant shows simple, lanceolate leaves with
a tell-tale reddish tinge due to cold exposure. I won't beat about the
bush any further, it's not a 'wild flower' at all, it is the common
bedding 'Alyssum' - Lobularia maritima. It quite often pops up as a
'volunteer' plant and occasionally naturalises in well drained soils.

You're not looking at the same image. The one I was referring to was the
one with loosely pinnate leaves with rounded folioles.

I won't disagree with you about the other being Lobularia maritima.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-04-2009, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 7b07934e-4ba0-4b30-8751-
,
says...
On 2 Apr, 09:17, Sacha wrote:
On 2/4/09 00:23, in article ,

"PhilAnnesley" wrote:

Hi Guys And Girls, thanks for your help I have now been able to identify
all the 3 plants now. I know the other one is a Forget Me Not which has
spread. Just one wee quick question, what is wrong with the
bittercrest, I have had a look online but cant seem to find a problem..

TYVM

If it is bittercress, those pretty white flowers rapidly turn into seedpods
which 'ping' apart at the slightest touch, scattering the seeds all over the
place. *Before you know it, you have the National Collection!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

If you can get your bittercress to grow fast and lush then it is a
spicy addition to salads.
David Hill

IF! mine are huge often a foot or more but now we have stopped buying in
liners we are slowly winning and are definitely on top of it, mind you
its the smaller one that forms ground hugging rosettes thats more
difficult to get out. Both out in the garden are only a minor nuisance
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk