Old 06-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Registered User

Location: Gloucester
Default Seeds/cling film?

I'm just wondering this... I've just put some freesia seeds in, and covered them with clingfilm. My friend says this won't work and they need a propogator or a proper cover - if they need a propogator though, surely they wouldn't be outdoor sowing seeds? But, any advice on cling-film vs glass?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy View Post
I'm just wondering this... I've just put some freesia seeds in, and covered them with clingfilm. My friend says this won't work and they need a propogator or a proper cover - if they need a propogator though, surely they wouldn't be outdoor sowing seeds? But, any advice on cling-film vs glass?
Hi clingfillis good as it keeps them moist but you will need heat put them in a airing cuboard and check everyday until you see any thing growing then get a pencil and pop holes in to get them used to the outside air for a couple of days. Then window sill and a piece of newspaper on the window to keep the full sun off them or they might scortch one they are big enough pop into 3 inch pots
Spruce
__________________
From small acorns oak trees grow
Old 15-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Registered User

Location: Gloucester

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Hi clingfillis good as it keeps them moist but you will need heat put them in a airing cuboard and check everyday until you see any thing growing then get a pencil and pop holes in to get them used to the outside air for a couple of days. Then window sill and a piece of newspaper on the window to keep the full sun off them or they might scortch one they are big enough pop into 3 inch pots
Spruce
Hi Spruce,
Thanks for the reply... I planted so many bits up that I made a mistake, they're actually sweet peas, the freesias are bulbs, doh!
Anyway, good news, the sweet peas have come up! They've been out in the sun for an hour over the weekend, I talk to them and their tomato neighbours, lol!
Old 15-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Registered User

Location: West Wales
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy View Post
I'm just wondering this... I've just put some freesia seeds in, and covered them with clingfilm. My friend says this won't work and they need a propogator or a proper cover - if they need a propogator though, surely they wouldn't be outdoor sowing seeds? But, any advice on cling-film vs glass?

Well,-- I've got several propagators but most of my seeds get started on the kitchen windowsill and I often use cling film to cover the container for the first few days.

I usually soak Freesia seeds overnight as they're very hard & ideally they need 50-60 degrees to germinate and ought to germinate in 14 - 21 days.
Old 15-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Registered User

Location: West Wales

Quote:
I made a mistake, they're actually sweet peas, the freesias are bulbs, doh!
Right....LOL !

(Though freesias *can* be grown from seed)

Watch out for slugs/snails as they just love members of the pea family!
Pinch out the tops when they've got big enough to have four true leaves to make your plants strong and bushy,then you should get plenty of flowers.

TT.

Old 15-04-2009, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

toptaff writes

I made a mistake, they're actually sweet peas, the freesias are

bulbs,
doh!

Right....LOL !

(Though freesias *can* be grown from seed)

Watch out for slugs/snails as they just love members of the pea
family!
Pinch out the tops when they've got big enough to have four true leaves
to make your plants strong and bushy,then you should get plenty of
flowers.

I don't find much trouble with sweet peas. I usually plant them outside
at about 9-12inches high. Culinary peas and broad beans also aren't much
troubled by slugs and snails, whereas runners and french beans and
lupins can be completely felled no matter what the age.

I've heard other people have lost young laburnum trees to slugs.
--
Kay