Old 07-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Registered User

Default Salsify

As a beginner I have planted all the usual things, but I also bought some salsify seeds. I have never seen or heard of these before, can anyone give me any information on taste etc are they worth growing?
Old 08-04-2009, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rock Creations writes

As a beginner I have planted all the usual things, but I also bought
some salsify seeds. I have never seen or heard of these before, can
anyone give me any information on taste etc are they worth growing?

Delicate taste not like much else. Long roots which are a bit of a
fiddle to peel - ie they're about half the diameter of carrots and three
times as long ;-)

They're easy to grow, so definitely worth growing to see if you like
them. Then the taste will tell you whether they're worth growing
thereafter.

Scorzonera is similar but with black roots.

--
Kay
Old 08-04-2009, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/4/09 09:50, in article , "K"
wrote:

Rock Creations writes

As a beginner I have planted all the usual things, but I also bought
some salsify seeds. I have never seen or heard of these before, can
anyone give me any information on taste etc are they worth growing?

Delicate taste not like much else. Long roots which are a bit of a
fiddle to peel - ie they're about half the diameter of carrots and three
times as long ;-)

They're easy to grow, so definitely worth growing to see if you like
them. Then the taste will tell you whether they're worth growing
thereafter.

Scorzonera is similar but with black roots.

Do you steam them Kay and serve them plain or do you do anything else with
them? I've eaten salsify and like it but I've never cooked it for some
reason.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-04-2009, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 8/4/09 09:50, in article , "K"
wrote:

Rock Creations writes

As a beginner I have planted all the usual things, but I also bought
some salsify seeds. I have never seen or heard of these before, can
anyone give me any information on taste etc are they worth growing?

Delicate taste not like much else. Long roots which are a bit of a
fiddle to peel - ie they're about half the diameter of carrots and three
times as long ;-)

They're easy to grow, so definitely worth growing to see if you like
them. Then the taste will tell you whether they're worth growing
thereafter.

Scorzonera is similar but with black roots.

Do you steam them Kay and serve them plain or do you do anything else with
them? I've eaten salsify and like it but I've never cooked it for some
reason.

I can't remember - it's a long time since I've grown them! Steamed and a
bit of butter, I think. They're colloquially known as 'vegetable oyster'
but I've never had oysters so I can't comment.
--
Kay
Old 08-04-2009, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I've never had oysters and if I can help it, I never shall!

As most people eat them, UGH!

They are excellent when lightly fried, though.

One of the few molluscs I like - along ith scollops, (SCollops, I
said!), octopus and squid.

The rest are only fit for bait, as far as I am concerned.

--
Rusty
Old 08-04-2009, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Rock Creations contains
these words:

As a beginner I have planted all the usual things, but I also bought
some salsify seeds. I have never seen or heard of these before, can
anyone give me any information on taste etc are they worth growing?

Worth growing. How do you describe a taste? Also known, IIRC, as 'the
vegetable oyster'.

You need quite deep soil and preferably, not stony.

--
Rusty
Old 08-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Creations View Post
As a beginner I have planted all the usual things, but I also bought some salsify seeds. I have never seen or heard of these before, can anyone give me any information on taste etc are they worth growing?
Have another advantage in that you can fry the flowers for breakfast - absolutely delicious. But must be in butter.