Old 21-04-2009, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rabbits

Do rabbits eat the leaves of narcissi?
I'm silently threatening to have rabbit pie with my next door
neighbour's pet, which is left to run in the garden and keeps
burrowing under my fence, excavating my compost bin, and will surely
have a field day, literally, with my salad crops, carrots etc which I
intend growing in containers this year.
I have found a couple of pots of odd daff-type things, tops nibbled,
which probably explains why there have been no flowers on them this
year. Would a rabbit eat them?
What might a rabbit eat which would give it a bad tummy-ache and put
it off entering my garden?

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-04-2009, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

Do rabbits eat the leaves of narcissi?
I'm silently threatening to have rabbit pie with my next door
neighbour's pet, which is left to run in the garden and keeps
burrowing under my fence, excavating my compost bin, and will surely
have a field day, literally, with my salad crops, carrots etc which I
intend growing in containers this year.
I have found a couple of pots of odd daff-type things, tops nibbled,
which probably explains why there have been no flowers on them this
year. Would a rabbit eat them?
What might a rabbit eat which would give it a bad tummy-ache and put
it off entering my garden?

·22 calibre lead poisoning.

--
Rusty

Old 21-04-2009, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote
Do rabbits eat the leaves of narcissi?
I'm silently threatening to have rabbit pie with my next door
neighbour's pet, which is left to run in the garden and keeps
burrowing under my fence, excavating my compost bin, and will surely
have a field day, literally, with my salad crops, carrots etc which I
intend growing in containers this year.
I have found a couple of pots of odd daff-type things, tops nibbled,
which probably explains why there have been no flowers on them this
year. Would a rabbit eat them?
What might a rabbit eat which would give it a bad tummy-ache and put
it off entering my garden?

Have you asked your neighbours to secure their side of the fence?
Rabbit fencing buried 6 inches down and 6 inches along (L Shaped) will do
it, they haven't the intelligence to move back to start digging.
Alternatively, borrow a Terrier. :-)

Lots of Lettuce will kill rabbits I was always told.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-04-2009, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Have you asked your neighbours to secure their side of the fence?
Rabbit fencing buried 6 inches down and 6 inches along (L Shaped) will do
it, they haven't the intelligence to move back to start digging.
Alternatively, borrow a Terrier. :-)

Puts me in mind of when my godson's wabbit went missing.

It was a *VERY LARGE* wabbit.

I found a hole - a very large hole, (eat yer heart out, Wookey Hole!)
beside the fence.

Looking over the hole, there was no sign of wabbit, just a row of small
cabbage plants.

Then, a small cabbage began growing in reverse...

Lots of Lettuce will kill rabbits I was always told.

Yes, but it is indeed *LOTS*.

--
Rusty

Old 22-04-2009, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Have you asked your neighbours to secure their side of the fence?
Rabbit fencing buried 6 inches down and 6 inches along (L Shaped)
will do it, they haven't the intelligence to move back to start
digging. Alternatively, borrow a Terrier. :-)

Puts me in mind of when my godson's wabbit went missing.

It was a *VERY LARGE* wabbit.

I found a hole - a very large hole, (eat yer heart out, Wookey Hole!)
beside the fence.

Looking over the hole, there was no sign of wabbit, just a row of
small cabbage plants.

Then, a small cabbage began growing in reverse...

lol

Lots of Lettuce will kill rabbits I was always told.

Yes, but it is indeed *LOTS*.

I might be tempted to make a pie of the offending wabbit and let its owner
search under the fence that was not suffient to keep it out!

... and anyway, we loiks wabbit ... garlic.. onions.......red
wine....................

Old 22-04-2009, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

I might be tempted to make a pie of the offending wabbit and let its owner
search under the fence that was not suffient to keep it out!

... and anyway, we loiks wabbit ... garlic.. onions.......red
wine....................

I'm casseroling one in beer tomorrow, with On!on, garlic, parsnip,
carrot, celery, mushroom, pearl barley, marrowfat peas, paprika, black
pepper, fenugreek, marjoram, sage, bay leaf and probably, chilli.

--
Rusty
Old 22-04-2009, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

I might be tempted to make a pie of the offending wabbit and let its
owner search under the fence that was not suffient to keep it out!

... and anyway, we loiks wabbit ... garlic.. onions.......red
wine....................

I'm casseroling one in beer tomorrow, with On!on, garlic, parsnip,
carrot, celery, mushroom, pearl barley, marrowfat peas, paprika, black
pepper, fenugreek, marjoram, sage, bay leaf and probably, chilli.

I don't like beer in cooking, but David likes it so I do use it sometimes.
I am afraid you lost me when you got to fenugreek and chilli We don't do
hot/spicy.

Old 22-04-2009, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

I might be tempted to make a pie of the offending wabbit and let its
owner search under the fence that was not suffient to keep it out!

... and anyway, we loiks wabbit ... garlic.. onions.......red
wine....................

I'm casseroling one in beer tomorrow, with On!on, garlic, parsnip,
carrot, celery, mushroom, pearl barley, marrowfat peas, paprika,
black pepper, fenugreek, marjoram, sage, bay leaf and probably,
chilli.

I don't like beer in cooking, but David likes it so I do use it
sometimes. I am afraid you lost me when you got to fenugreek and
chilli We don't do hot/spicy.

Good grief! Sorry about that. I don't like it but I don't dislike it 3
times as much

Old 22-04-2009, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 17:47:28 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

Do rabbits eat the leaves of narcissi?

I'm repeating my original question? The leaves of some daffs in pots
were nibbled down to about 3 inches from the soil. Would a rabbit
prefer my daffs to its own grass?

Pam in Bristol
Old 22-04-2009, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Brownfingers" wrote ...
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

Lots of Lettuce will kill rabbits I was always told.

Yes, but it is indeed *LOTS*.

is this one of those things where the food causes a nutrient drain to
digest it, so if you eat it alone you die (you being the rabbit in
this case).

No, it's because it contains sedative and it was used as such in ancient
times.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-04-2009, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 22 Apr, 23:04, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Brownfingers" *wrote ... Rusty_Hinge * wrote:

Lots of Lettuce will kill rabbits I was always told.

Yes, but it is indeed *LOTS*.

is this one of those things where the food causes a nutrient drain to
digest it, so if you eat it alone you die (you being the rabbit in
this case).

No, it's because it contains sedative and it was used as such in ancient
times.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

and is still used in a lot of herbal sleep remidies.
david Hill
Old 23-04-2009, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Do rabbits eat the leaves of narcissi?

I'm repeating my original question? The leaves of some daffs in pots
were nibbled down to about 3 inches from the soil. Would a rabbit
prefer my daffs to its own grass?

Blind Bambi, so I didn't answer...

--
Rusty

Rabbits, rabbits everywhere wind'n'stone United Kingdom 4 22-05-2008 08:15 PM
Rabbits Y United Kingdom 4 19-11-2003 06:03 PM
Rabbits and lawn fertilization Sigurd Kallhovde Lawns 0 12-10-2003 11:22 PM
rabbits and "burning bush" Jim Moran Lawns 5 19-03-2003 12:44 AM
Rabbits! John Hutchison United Kingdom 18 03-03-2003 03:24 AM