Old 27-04-2009, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wining the Village Potato Competition....

I've just bought an entry to the village potato competition. I now
have the regulation chitted seed potato, and the regulation
ex-ewe-lick tub (20Kg size, 5.5in radius, 10in tall).

The general advice for growing spuds in containers is to plant them in
about half of the depth then earth up as they grow - for me that's an
initial depth of about 5 inches. One bit of advice I've had says use
tomato fertilizer, but this I would have thought would promote flowers,
not tubers. So, any advice please (on any aspect of this)?

R.

Old 27-04-2009, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 09:59:34 +0100, TheOldFellow wrote:

One bit of advice I've had says use
tomato fertilizer, but this I would have thought would promote flowers,
not tubers. So, any advice please (on any aspect of this)?

R.

The tubers are, biologically speaking, modified shoots (not roots as one
might suppose). IANAE but I would think general fertiliser to promote
growth of plants such as Miracle Grow would be appropriate?
Old 27-04-2009, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from TheOldFellow contains these words:

I've just bought an entry to the village potato competition. I now
have the regulation chitted seed potato, and the regulation
ex-ewe-lick tub (20Kg size, 5.5in radius, 10in tall).

The general advice for growing spuds in containers is to plant them in
about half of the depth then earth up as they grow - for me that's an
initial depth of about 5 inches. One bit of advice I've had says use
tomato fertilizer, but this I would have thought would promote flowers,
not tubers. So, any advice please (on any aspect of this)?

Read the recipe carefully and follow the instructions implicitly, or
you'll end-up with a starch-haze.

--
Rusty
Old 27-04-2009, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:03:55 GMT
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

The message
from TheOldFellow contains these words:

I've just bought an entry to the village potato competition. I now
have the regulation chitted seed potato, and the regulation
ex-ewe-lick tub (20Kg size, 5.5in radius, 10in tall).

The general advice for growing spuds in containers is to plant them in
about half of the depth then earth up as they grow - for me that's an
initial depth of about 5 inches. One bit of advice I've had says use
tomato fertilizer, but this I would have thought would promote flowers,
not tubers. So, any advice please (on any aspect of this)?

Read the recipe carefully and follow the instructions implicitly, or
you'll end-up with a starch-haze.

Only up until distillation.

R.

Old 27-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldFellow View Post
I've just bought an entry to the village potato competition. I now
have the regulation chitted seed potato, and the regulation
ex-ewe-lick tub (20Kg size, 5.5in radius, 10in tall).

The general advice for growing spuds in containers is to plant them in
about half of the depth then earth up as they grow - for me that's an
initial depth of about 5 inches. One bit of advice I've had says use
tomato fertilizer, but this I would have thought would promote flowers,
not tubers. So, any advice please (on any aspect of this)?

R.
Hi
John Innes no3 with a good multi purpose compost.
My mix is 3 john innes 1 multi purpose, dont feed 4 weeks let the roots look for food , seaweed extract once a week Sunday, tues & Thurs Tomato food. Dont let them dry out turn the pot a quater each of the feed days.
Are you growing weight or quality ? and how many are you planting as less can be more as in size.
Let me know what you think and the outcome, what variety are they
Spruce
From small acorns oak trees grow