Old 28-04-2009, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Bob Hobden - Orchid

Bob, here is the pic of the orchid that I couldn't identify. The
question was, how can I take care of it so that it flowers again next
year? I was given this on 5th February, my birthday and it still
looks as good as new.

http://i42.tinypic.com/10gk4co.jpg

Judith
Old 28-04-2009, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
Bob, here is the pic of the orchid that I couldn't identify. The
question was, how can I take care of it so that it flowers again next
year? I was given this on 5th February, my birthday and it still
looks as good as new.

http://i42.tinypic.com/10gk4co.jpg

Judith

This is a Phalaenopsis (Moth Orchid) if I'm any judge.

"Grow in theshade, in a hot greenhouse, or on a draught-free window sill in
a house or conservatory, maintaining a high level of humidity" (Readers
DIgest New Encyclopedia of Garden Plants & Flowers)

R.

Old 28-04-2009, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote ...
Bob, here is the pic of the orchid that I couldn't identify. The
question was, how can I take care of it so that it flowers again next
year? I was given this on 5th February, my birthday and it still
looks as good as new.

http://i42.tinypic.com/10gk4co.jpg

That is a Phalaenopsis hybrid.
Quite easy to keep but if kept well should keep flowering almost
permanently.
I always repot mine on purchase, they are usually in a pure bark medium, and
I purchase a bigger 16cm clear plastic pot and use live Sphagnum moss (as
used in hanging baskets) together with the bark to pot it up. Do not use a
water tray if possible or if you must then raise the pot's bottom above the
tray so the pot never sits in water.
There is some discussion on the merits of these clear pots but the roots do
contain some chlorophyll and there are relatives that have no leaves at all
only roots. They also allow you to view what is happing in the pot, that the
roots are growing, if it needs water etc. Healthy roots are the key to
success IMO.
Water in the morning with rain water at room temperature adding half
strength feed every other watering. Watering at that time gives the plant
time to dry off as water sitting in the crown overnight will damage/kill it.
That said it's never a good idea to let water sit in the crown, and
especially so in winter. I place my plants on the draining board and
thoroughly soak the compost through letting surplus water drain out, this
flushes the compost through and ensures there is not a build up of feed in
the pots. I am watering mine weekly ATM but it must always depend on how dry
the compost is, check the weight of the pot.
Ours are on S. facing windowsills behind net curtains, if the light is too
strong the leaves will get a red tinge, ours haven't yet.
It used to be said they liked quite deep shade as they grow on trees under
the canopy but that does not appear to be the case in the UK, tropical deep
shade is probably equal to our sun anyway. :-)
Good luck.
Oh, and don't cut the flower stems off after the flowers drop off, provided
the stem stays alive it will extend / branch and provide more flowers and
can go on for doing so for some while.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-04-2009, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 28, 11:19*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Judith in France" *wrote ... Bob, here is the pic of the orchid that I couldn't identify. *The
[...]

Brilliant advice, thanks Bob, I will repot it and hope it doesn't mind
being disturbed.

Judith
Old 29-04-2009, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 28, 10:01*pm, "Ragnar" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

Bob, here is the pic of the orchid that I couldn't identify. *The
question was, how can I take care of it so that it flowers again next
year? *I was given this on 5th February, my birthday and it still
looks as good as new.

http://i42.tinypic.com/10gk4co.jpg

Judith

This is a Phalaenopsis (Moth Orchid) if I'm any judge.

"Grow in theshade, in a hot greenhouse, or on a draught-free window sill in
a house or conservatory, maintaining a high level of humidity" (Readers
DIgest New Encyclopedia of Garden Plants & Flowers)

R.

Thank you, I have it in exactly the right position in the kitchen
which is often humid.

Judith