Old 09-05-2009, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default getting the gravel back on top

I wouldn't have done this myself, but the previous owner chose to have
gravel paths all over the place some bounded by rocks holding back
raised beds which leak soil, so the gravelly definition of the paths
is sinking beneath more and more soil.

Of course, I can chuck more gravel over the existing but I wonder if
there's a neat trick anyone can share which might make light work of
bringing the gravel up on top. I've used a seive with some success
but for an old fogey with a bad back, it's no fun.

Does any have any ingenious ideas to share?
Old 09-05-2009, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
bob wrote in message ...
I wouldn't have done this myself, but the previous owner chose to have
gravel paths all over the place some bounded by rocks holding back
raised beds which leak soil, so the gravelly definition of the paths
is sinking beneath more and more soil.

Of course, I can chuck more gravel over the existing but I wonder if
there's a neat trick anyone can share which might make light work of
bringing the gravel up on top. I've used a seive with some success
but for an old fogey with a bad back, it's no fun.

Does any have any ingenious ideas to share?

I laid lots of hardcore under my gravel and then every so often, a couple of
years, maybe more, we chuck some more on top and rake it out. we have a
local builders Yard deliver it in plastic sacks which are ALWAYS useful :-)

Another old fogey with a bad back, arthritic knees and now getting over a
Quadruple Heart Job :-))

Mike

Gravel Amount - Gravel Koi-Lo Ponds 7 08-06-2006 07:12 AM
Can I put gravel on top of compost in a plant pot alan kearn United Kingdom 2 13-05-2005 10:10 PM
Gravel or no gravel Barry Ponds 3 18-09-2003 12:12 AM
theory of getting-on-top and theory of weeding Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 15 09-05-2003 02:32 PM
theory of getting-on-top and theory of weeding Archimedes Plutonium sci.agriculture 14 09-05-2003 02:32 PM