Old 11-05-2009, 06:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis - part 2

I posted around a week ago about a couple of young clematis being
eaten up. (Rebecca and Henryi - if this is relevant)
I found and evicted a family of snails tenanting a hole in the mortar
of a flint and lime wall behind the plant and whether they were the
culprits or not the feeding frenzy seems to slowed or even stopped.
But the plants seemed to have either stopped growing or slowed so much
that progress is almost imperceptible. A couple of slightly chewed
flowers have taken much longer to open than I remember with other
plants and while most of the leaves are erect (a few have wilted) they
look dull.

When I bought and planted these last august - small, about 70cms high
- they seemed to settle in quite well and put on a little growth
before the season end. They started out promisingly this spring
pushing up again.

There's an established clematis which looks very healthy only 4 metres
away growing through a petiolaris . The two infants are about 10 cms
from a wall with just a wire network for climbing.

Could there be a problem here? Are they just about to peg out?

Should I give up on them and try again asap or might patience be
rewarded? Perhaps a feed or some remedial strategy?

Thanks for any insight.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , bob says...
[...]

Bob, how big was the root system you planted, if this was small then
plants can take an age to establish, as a general rule anyone buying a
clematis plant of less than 2lt root ball size should grow it on in a
container until its made more root before planting out.
If they were big plants then the problem may be lack of water
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 11-05-2009, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 11 May 2009 13:40:41 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

Bob, how big was the root system you planted, if this was small then
plants can take an age to establish, as a general rule anyone buying a
clematis plant of less than 2lt root ball size should grow it on in a
container until its made more root before planting out.
If they were big plants then the problem may be lack of water

The cursory web search I did before coming here bears out exactly what
you're saying - in fact I think one writer was recommending buying
plants mature enough to be sold in 1 gallon pots just to avoid the
wait. I'd say my plants were in a 1 litre pot so definitely on the
small side.

Thanks for the explanation, Charlie.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes
Bob, how big was the root system you planted, if this was small then
plants can take an age to establish, as a general rule anyone buying a
clematis plant of less than 2lt root ball size should grow it on in a
container until its made more root before planting out.

How big is 2l in terms of diameter of pot?

--
Kay
Old 11-05-2009, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-11 22:14:06 +0100, K said:

Charlie Pridham writes
Bob, how big was the root system you planted, if this was small then
plants can take an age to establish, as a general rule anyone buying a
clematis plant of less than 2lt root ball size should grow it on in a
container until its made more root before planting out.

How big is 2l in terms of diameter of pot?

It's too dark to go out and measure it now, Kay but the ones we use
have 1l, 2l, 3l etc. stamped on the bottom if that's any help with what
you've got. I'll measure them tomorrow. I've never understood myself
why it is that the industry goes from 7cm to 9cm to litres!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 11-05-2009, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 11, 6:37*am, bob wrote:
[...]

Bob, you may remember that I posted recently that a clematis I planted
last year was dead. I panted a new one, next to the "dead" old one
and put a few slug pellets there. A few days on, the old one has put
on new growth; it wasn't dead, just eaten by slugs and snails, but no
more! I am glad I didn't pull it up, have you tried, pellets and a
feed?

Judith
Old 12-05-2009, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 11 May 2009 15:33:15 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

On May 11, 6:37*am, bob wrote:
[...]

No I decided, for the mo anyway, not to use any chemical because it
appeared to me the feasting had abated after I cleared out a load of
greedy snails from a nearby hole in the wall.

What feed would you recommend? I've got some bonemeal, also some
concentrated tomato feed.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
On May 11, 6:37*am, bob wrote:
[...]

Until it is well established, I use a general purpose feed, diluted, a
capful to a gallon of water and drench it, after that I dont feed
clematis as they seem to do very well without it.

Judith
Old 12-05-2009, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-12 10:38:37 +0100, Martin said:

wrote:
On May 11, 6:37*am, bob wrote:
[...]

Did you plant an evergreen clematis, Judith? My daughter now has a freshly
imported one in N Staffordshire.
GBP 10 in Holland and up to twice as much in UK.

Not everywhere, Martin. ;-)) £7.50 here. You want to get out more! ;-)))

Old 12-05-2009, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
On May 11, 6:37*am, bob wrote:
[...]

Add a tenner and get disgustingly rich. )

Or put everyone off!! ;-)

I did say up to. The cheapest we saw were GBP13 and the dearest was GBP20.
Most expensive in the York area and cheapest in N Staffordshire.
My wife spent most of a two week holiday gardening and lurking in garden
centres.
http://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/Pr...ProductID=1899
£16.95 plus p&p.
http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/cli...-/classid.863/

£19.99

reduced to £14.99

I can recommend the parcel service company that Marks and Spencer's use. I
ordered something around lunch time and it was delivered the next day around
breakfast time.

Ours is next day delivery by 3pm and can be earlier but that's more
expensive to the customer, so this seems the best option. The only
time it's failed is in the very bad weather when a van delivering in
Derbyshire couldn't get up the steep lane to a house. The plants came
back to us and went out a few days later for a second try and all was
well. What I'm intrigued by is how often size of pot isn't mentioned
so you don't really know size of plant coming your way and how seedsmen
don't always say how many seeds there are in a packet - or not
obviously.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
On May 11, 6:37*am, bob wrote:
[...]

No, Martin, it's not evergreen. The nurseries here are very scant on
clematis. I once bought 3 from Charlie, they were reasonably priced
and perfect when they arrived. Charlie, as you know, specalises in
Clematis, we don't have anyone here like that; neither do we have a
Ray or Sacha. Mutters, How much is a small 1 bedroom cottage in
Devon? Too much!

Judith
Old 12-05-2009, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 12, 9:23*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 12 May 2009 10:58:34 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On May 11, 6:37*am, bob wrote:
[...]

snip
Cheaper if you share. How many nights were you planning on staying?
--

Martin

Staying? Purchasing. My husband promised me, when I agreed to live
in France; that we would also buy a very small place in the UK. It
hasn't happened - yet,

Judith
Old 12-05-2009, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 12, 9:52*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 12 May 2009 13:47:14 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On May 11, 6:37*am, bob wrote:
[...]

You forgot the Egloo so soon? )
--

Martin

LOL I can't sleep in there, do you want a few eggs, or a few dozen?
I will end up egg bound if I ate 3 a day!

Judith
Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-12 18:58:34 +0100, Judith in France

wrote:
On May 11, 6:37*am, bob wrote:
[...]

Maybe you don't have Clematis locally because few survive winters in
your part of France? Not many are evergreen anyway and the best known
is C. armandii which is on the tender side. Charlie will correct me.
At present I'm delighting in a white Clematis montana which is going
up a telegraph pole in our garden and spreading itself lavishly into
shrubs beside and behind it. There's a sort of langorous voluptuous
beauty to it that personifies spring.

Old 13-05-2009, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-12 18:58:34 +0100, Judith in France

wrote:
On May 11, 6:37*am, bob wrote:
[...]

Our two clematis armandii survived temperatures down to around -10C and
is doing
very well, so maybe not so tender??

Charlie willknow better than I but we've found here this winter that
things that will take -5 or more for a night won't take it for several
days at a time. We've lost Acacias and a Paulownia that way. Judith's
temps are way, way lower than that for a long time.

Charlie will correct me.
At present I'm delighting in a white Clematis montana which is going
up a telegraph pole in our garden and spreading itself lavishly into
shrubs beside and behind it. There's a sort of langorous voluptuous
beauty to it that personifies spring.

A bit like Judith? LOL

I couldn't possibly comment!! ;-)