Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-05-2009, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default honeysuckle not wanted

In another thread I expressed concern about the welfare of a couple of
clematis I planted last year. Thanks to various advices here I'm
becoming quietly confident that they'll be ok but their roots are only
12 inches away from those of a rampant honeysuckle, which, if the
clematis pans out, as hoped, will be superfluous even threatening.

More to the point, I've noticed also that another clematis which I'd
like to encourage has popped up almost immediately adjacent to the
honeysuckle. I think this must have been planted some time ago and
perhaps gave up temporarily in a drought last year.

So, what to do with the honeysuckle. I'd like to dig it out but I'm
wondering about the size of the root and the task of removing it -
particularly now that little clematis is just next door .

What advice? Can I just keep trimming it back once a week, or so?

Would the honeysuckle's root system continue to burgeon under this
regime or would it be an effective way of keeping things stable
without developing further.

Thanks for any help.