Old 15-05-2009, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default urg FAQs

Has anyone noticed that most of the missing FAQs are now back on the urg
web site?

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 15-05-2009, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-15 16:24:53 +0100, David Rance
said:

Has anyone noticed that most of the missing FAQs are now back on the
urg web site?

David

Well done, David! Lots of hard work and hours of 'fun' - thank you for
taking on the task of restoring a valuable resource.

To all urglers, I would like to say that Cormaic told me he would be
extremely happy to have someone else take this over. I asked one or a
few people who might have been able to do it and David stepped up and
offered his time, expertise and skills. Another urgler also offered
help and may wish for now to remain nameless but it seems to me that
urg is extremely lucky - as are other gardeners who read this group -
to see the FAQs back in action. I think urg owes David a big thank you.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 15-05-2009, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 15 May 2009 Sacha wrote:

Has anyone noticed that most of the missing FAQs are now back on the
urg web site?

Well done, David! Lots of hard work and hours of 'fun' - thank you for
taking on the task of restoring a valuable resource.

To all urglers, I would like to say that Cormaic told me he would be
extremely happy to have someone else take this over. I asked one or a
few people who might have been able to do it and David stepped up and
offered his time, expertise and skills.

Rather more accurately, I was prevailed upon!

Another urgler also offered help and may wish for now to remain
nameless but it seems to me that urg is extremely lucky - as are other
gardeners who read this group - to see the FAQs back in action. I
think urg owes David a big thank you.

Umm, well, Martin has a point. They *are* out of date so I expect Martin
will help in remedying this.

Nevertheless there was much useful information that was worth salvaging.
There are lots of dead links. I have renewed some where I could find an
updated link.

But maybe people would like to renew some of the FAQs completely. After
all, it was always something which the membership of this group
contributed to and was a way of making their experience more permanent
while avoiding unnecessary repetition of the same questions time after
time.

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 16-05-2009, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

David Rance writes
But maybe people would like to renew some of the FAQs completely. After
all, it was always something which the membership of this group
contributed to and was a way of making their experience more permanent
while avoiding unnecessary repetition of the same questions time after
time.

It never worked, though ;-) We were still besieged by people wanting us
to sit down and pen instant answers because they were unwilling to do an
elementary search.
--
Kay
Old 16-05-2009, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-16 14:43:44 +0100, K said:

David Rance writes
But maybe people would like to renew some of the FAQs completely. After
all, it was always something which the membership of this group
contributed to and was a way of making their experience more permanent
while avoiding unnecessary repetition of the same questions time after
time.

It never worked, though ;-) We were still besieged by people wanting us
to sit down and pen instant answers because they were unwilling to do
an elementary search.

I think it's fair then to point them at the FAQs and suggest they come
back if they don't find an answer there. Quite apart from anything
else, looking at the FAQs, they may well find info on other things they
want to know about!

Old 16-05-2009, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-16 14:43:44 +0100, K said:

David Rance writes
But maybe people would like to renew some of the FAQs completely. After
all, it was always something which the membership of this group
contributed to and was a way of making their experience more permanent
while avoiding unnecessary repetition of the same questions time after
time.

It never worked, though ;-) We were still besieged by people wanting us
to sit down and pen instant answers because they were unwilling to do
an elementary search.

I think it's fair then to point them at the FAQs and suggest they come
back if they don't find an answer there. *Quite apart from anything
else, looking at the FAQs, they may well find info on other things they
want to know about!
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

That's fair but you do get some posters, (remember whom???) who very
rudely and abruptly would answer and tell them to go there, it put a
lot of new posters off from posting as we know. Since certain people
left who did this, some of these old/new posters have returned. So I
would say to refer them to the FAQs but not in a nasty way as we have
seen here some time ago, thankfully it was some time ago.

Judith
Old 16-05-2009, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 May 2009 K wrote:

But maybe people would like to renew some of the FAQs completely.
After all, it was always something which the membership of this group
contributed to and was a way of making their experience more permanent
while avoiding unnecessary repetition of the same questions time after time.

It never worked, though ;-) We were still besieged by people wanting us
to sit down and pen instant answers because they were unwilling to do
an elementary search.

But perhaps they didn't know about the FAQs and had never read the abc.
And it would be a simple thing to give them a URL in reply - it would
make it simpler and us seem more friendly. And it's even easier to
remember now that Cormaic has registered the urg domain.

For instance:

http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/urgfaqs.htm

is easy enough to type in.

We need to remember that, just as many readers here are novices to
gardening, so they may be to computers and the Internet. And if they're
not we should give them the benefit of the doubt. And they all work now.

At least, I would.

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 16-05-2009, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sorry, I missed a bit:

On Sat, 16 May 2009 K wrote:

But maybe people would like to renew some of the FAQs completely.
After all, it was always something which the membership of this group
contributed to and was a way of making their experience more
permanent while avoiding unnecessary repetition of the same questions
time after time.

It never worked, though ;-) We were still besieged by people wanting
us to sit down and pen instant answers because they were unwilling to
do an elementary search.

That's a little unfair. "Besieged" is a little bit of hyperbole and I'm
sure they didn't expect *instant* answers. And you don't know how many
people did consult those pages without bothering us. Come on, I thought
gardeners were optimistic people! :-)

If I didn't think it was worthwhile I wouldn't have spent hours this
week tracking these missing FAQs down and then formatting them. And I
have been a reader here for around thirteen years and have valued them
myself. (And my welcome to this group when I wrote my first message back
in 1996 was that two people violently disagreed with my views on the
growing of mistletoe, both of whom still write here and one of whom
called me an idiot!)

And David Rance wrote:

And they all work now.

I meant, all the links work now!

Best wishes, David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 16-05-2009, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 15, 11:48*pm, David Rance
wrote:
[...]

David Rance * * * *writing from Caversham, Reading, UKhttp://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Martin is pretty au fait, I would think with this sort of stuff, so
come on our Martin what say you?

Judith
Old 16-05-2009, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
news:b3f9a599-d3ab-4d2d-9178-Martin is pretty au fait, I would think with
this sort of stuff, so
come on our Martin what say you?

Yep, I am with you on this one, Judith

Old 16-05-2009, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 16, 6:07*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2009 18:04:53 +0100, "Ophelia" wrote:

"Judith in France" wrote in message
news:b3f9a599-d3ab-4d2d-9178-Martin is pretty au fait, I would think with
this sort of stuff, so
come on our Martin what say you?

Yep, I am with you on this one, Judith

Like you I am not a gardening expert.
--

Martin

Bloomin cheek!!!!! speak for yourself dear one; I enjoy pottering, I
enjoy tring; sure;y that's what this is all about. However, you do
have an enormous amount of experience in computer stuff!

Judith
Old 16-05-2009, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-15 16:24:53 +0100, David Rance
said:

Has anyone noticed that most of the missing FAQs are now back on the
urg web site?

David

Well done, David! *Lots of hard work and hours of 'fun' - thank you for
taking on the task of restoring a valuable resource.

To all urglers, I would like to say that Cormaic told me he would be
extremely happy to have someone else take this over. * I asked one or a
few people who might have been able to do it and David stepped up and
offered his time, expertise and skills. *Another urgler also offered
help and may wish for now to remain nameless but it seems to me that
urg is extremely lucky - as are other gardeners who read this group -
to see the FAQs back in action. *I think urg owes David a big thank you..
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

I second that, thanks David. I don't mind if you delete me from the
urg meets; some on another group took a look and posted on my
appearance, so maybe, you should delete them?

Judith
Old 16-05-2009, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-16 15:15:59 +0100, Judith in France

On 2009-05-15 16:24:53 +0100, David Rance
said:

[...]

People who do that sort of thing are rarely oil paintings themselves!
Forget 'em! I looked back at some of the photos and remembered the
happy times at the two Devon ones I/we hosted and enjoyed seeing faces
of others who would otherwise be only names.

Old 16-05-2009, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-16 15:15:59 +0100, Judith in France

On 2009-05-15 16:24:53 +0100, David Rance
said:

[...]

I laugh at them as they don't have the brain to work out that as we
age, we change, sometimes for the better. Now did I tell you that my
legs are pretty good? Did I tell you about my eyes; not a wrinkle?
No; it's not La Prairie, it's the good life :-)

Judith
Old 16-05-2009, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith in France writes
I second that, thanks David. I don't mind if you delete me from the
urg meets; some on another group took a look and posted on my
appearance, so maybe, you should delete them?

I'd be in favour of meets being deleted. They were interesting
at the time, but the urg regulars today are not the same people who were
regulars when the pictured meets were held. But perhaps give a few weeks
notice of deletion so people who were at the meets can download copies
if they wish?
--
Kay

FAQs Pam Moore United Kingdom 43 19-05-2004 06:15 PM
FAQs re cats-can't find [email protected] United Kingdom 93 23-03-2004 05:34 PM
FAQs - Listing cormaic United Kingdom 3 03-02-2003 08:42 PM
Get yer FAQs 'ere - FAQ list for this group cormaic United Kingdom 0 18-01-2003 05:01 PM
Cats or FAQs? Jim United Kingdom 3 06-01-2003 07:10 PM