Old 23-05-2009, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomoto plants

Bill P. wrote:
My Grandbdaughter likes to follow me down to the greenhouse and pick
the tomatoes of the vine and eat them there and then (no chemicals
used). I grow Sungold bite size...very sweet they are. She keeps asking me
"are the tomatoes ready yet Grandad?".

Awwwwwwww. Mine will be small, they are tumblers! I am hoping my David will
do that. They are good for preventing prostate problems, so you should do
it too

Old 23-05-2009, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
On May 22, 7:08 pm, moghouse wrote:
On May 22, 5:08 pm, Sacha wrote:

Yes, start to feed now, do you have Tomorite? Just follow the
instructions. Good luck.
Nothing tastes better than those own, home-grown tomatoes.

...with some tastey Tomorite sauce, of course.

LOL For tonight's supper I used up stuff in the fridge, I made balls
out of sausage meat, friend them in olive oil, set them aside. Then I
went into my garden and picked Oregano, Sage, Thyme, Bay, a hint of
mint, chives, anise, an onion from last year, garlic. I made a sauce
with red wine, my fresh herbs, dried tomato, reduced the lot down and
added the balls for 1 hour. BUTTTTTTTTTT, I forgot, I didn't have any
pasta, I didn't have anything in the garden to make do, so it was off
to the scullery shelves for????? Stop laughing, I used cous cous. It
was delicious But............ I didn't have any Parmesan either. Note
to self, grow cheese, grow pasta :-)

Never mind It sounds delicious.

Old 23-05-2009, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
In message , Ophelia
writes

"Bill P." wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Well, I have some flowers now She all begin to feed them?

Mine have also just started to flower and will be feeding now.

Thanks, Bill

One or two of mine are setting, the petals having fallen away.
I have been brushing them daily with cotton wool because they are
indoors.

*perk* What's that?? I Didn't Know That!!

Old 23-05-2009, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Jesson wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message
Well, I have some flowers now She all begin to feed them?

Feed any time after the flowers start to form AND the plants are in
their final position. There are secondary and tertiary hormonal
effects in the plant caused by the change in nutrients - planting in
the final position (with greater root space and nutrient capacity) and
at the right stage of development kind of keeps things in balance
throughout the stages.

Potatoes which are the same genus prefer a general feed before
flowering and potash/nitrogen after. There is a great deal of debate
about this aamongst commercial growers who all get very similar yields
(!). But the trick is to encourage the roots and tubers rather than
the small fruits - the opposite with toms.

In my experience, feeding before planting out tends to delay fruit
production a little by stimulating extra leaf growth when the roots
are starting to struggle for space - but never enough to be material
unless you are a commercial grower.

Tomatoes are tough, resilient plants for all the pampering they get
from us enthusiasts and the basic rule is feed with a bespoke tomato
feed at planting out time after the flowers start to form. As
mentioned by another poster, you can't do better than tomorite.

Thank you very much for that! I have saved it for future reference!

Old 23-05-2009, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , individual.net
writes
Gordon H wrote:
In message , Ophelia
writes

"Bill P." wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Well, I have some flowers now She all begin to feed them?

Mine have also just started to flower and will be feeding now.

Thanks, Bill

One or two of mine are setting, the petals having fallen away.
I have been brushing them daily with cotton wool because they are
indoors.

*perk* What's that?? I Didn't Know That!!

Of course you didn't! You haven't been in my back bedroom lately.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 23-05-2009, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
In message , individual.net
writes
Gordon H wrote:
In message , Ophelia
writes

"Bill P." wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Well, I have some flowers now She all begin to feed them?

Mine have also just started to flower and will be feeding now.

Thanks, Bill

One or two of mine are setting, the petals having fallen away.
I have been brushing them daily with cotton wool because they are
indoors.

*perk* What's that?? I Didn't Know That!!

Of course you didn't! You haven't been in my back bedroom
lately.

errrr this is very true!

Old 23-05-2009, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ophelia
writes
Gordon H wrote:
In message , individual.net
writes
Gordon H wrote:
In message , Ophelia
writes

"Bill P." wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Well, I have some flowers now She all begin to feed them?

Mine have also just started to flower and will be feeding now.

Thanks, Bill

One or two of mine are setting, the petals having fallen away.
I have been brushing them daily with cotton wool because they are
indoors.

*perk* What's that?? I Didn't Know That!!

Of course you didn't! You haven't been in my back bedroom
lately.

errrr this is very true!

True for all values of "lately".
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 23-05-2009, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
errrr this is very true!

True for all values of "lately".

Indubitubububley

Old 23-05-2009, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 23, 1:23*am, Jiri B x wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2009 13:55:53 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
LOL *For tonight's supper I used up stuff in the fridge, I made balls
out of sausage meat, friend them in olive oil, set them aside. *Then I
went into my garden and picked Oregano, Sage, Thyme, Bay, a hint of
mint, chives, anise, an onion from last year, garlic. *I made a sauce
with red wine, my fresh herbs, dried tomato, reduced the lot down and
added the balls for 1 hour. *BUTTTTTTTTTT, I forgot, I didn't have any
pasta, I didn't have anything in the garden to make do, so it was off
to the scullery shelves for????? *Stop laughing, I used cous cous. *It
was delicious But............ I didn't have any Parmesan either. *Note
to self, grow cheese, grow pasta :-)

Judith

Not laughing at all.
Nifty bit of improvising on the cereal stage! Sounds delicious. Well
done.
Jiri

Jiri B - "compost mentis" in North Staffs.

Thanks; now anyone know how to grow pasta?? and Parmesan cheese?

Judith
Old 23-05-2009, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 22, 5:08 pm, Sacha wrote:

[...]

Thanks, it was!!!

Judith

Old 23-05-2009, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
Thanks; now anyone know how to grow pasta?? and Parmesan cheese?

I can't help with the cheese, but pasta definitely grows on trees. I saw it
on tv once!

Old 23-05-2009, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 23, 7:11*pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
Thanks; now anyone know how to grow pasta?? and Parmesan cheese?

I can't help with the cheese, but pasta definitely grows on trees. *I saw it
on tv once!

So did I LOL. We are just home from dinner out; I am mellow after a
good dry S. Blanc. I ate, almost, veggie tonight, it was wonderful;
the food of Auvergne is actually country food, nothing fussy; a lot is
based on veg. I had Truffade, it has a little bacon but as I am not a
Vegetarian, I loved it. No starter as it is a huge dish, creme
brulee, and that's it, no cheese, no coffee, just bed in a few
minutes after I have walked Lottie. For the first time, I brought her
home some of my friends' meals; rare beef, she wolfed it up. It was a
treat for having left her for the night, she was so pleased to see us.

Judith
Old 23-05-2009, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-23 17:17:41 +0100, Judith in France

wrote:
[...]

As to the pasta, ask one of the Dimblebys. It's a family recipe.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 23-05-2009, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-23 17:17:41 +0100, Judith in France

wrote:
[...]

Oh???? I have some of Jocelyn's books, is March the correct time to
sow pasta seeds and is May the time for Parmesan seeds? :-)

Judith
Old 23-05-2009, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-23 22:25:01 +0100, Judith in France

On 2009-05-23 17:17:41 +0100, Judith in France

*
It
was delicious But............ I didn't have any Parmesan either. *N

ote
to self, grow cheese, grow pasta :-)

Judith

Not laughing at all.
Nifty bit of improvising on the cereal stage! Sounds delicious. Well
done.
Jiri

Jiri B - "compost mentis" in North Staffs.

Thanks; now anyone know how to grow pasta?? and Parmesan cheese?

Judith

As to the pasta, ask one of the Dimblebys. *It's a family recipe.
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Oh???? I have some of Jocelyn's books, is March the correct time to
sow pasta seeds and is May the time for Parmesan seeds? :-)

Judith

Now you're cooking with gas!! ;-))